redflag
Australia
Joined 3636 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 33 of 114
06 January 2015 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
BTW I discovered today if you can make pluzz.francetv.fr think you are in la republique you can watch a tonne of
shows there AND CRUCIALLY you can sort by which ones have sous-titres. I think I am going to binge on French
reality shows this weekend ...
3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5185 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 34 of 114
07 January 2015 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Finally getting everything set up for the new year!

Username: sctroyenne
Level in French: C1 to C2
Link to log: TAC '15 French Spanish Celtic Adv Study
Favourite book: Quatrevingt-treize de Victor Hugo, Thérèse Raquin d'Émile Zola, L'Identité de la France de Fernand Braudel
Favourite comic/BD: Never really got into BD, but I like this little comic: L'actu en patates.
Favourite film: Quai d'Orsay, Starbuck, 10e chambre - Instants d'audiences, La bataille d'Alger, La Grande Seduction
Favourite TV series: Kaamelott, Les Inconnus, Le Petit Journal, Les Guingols de l'info, Zapping (the last three being news/comedy/infotainment programs on Canal+ with streaming available internationally), Cash Investigation, Des racines et des ailes, Echappées Belles, Zone Interdite, Enquête Exclusive, and a bunch of really cheesy stuff (Face au doute, Le jour où tout a basculé, L'amour est dans le pré, Qui veut épouser mon fils?, Un dîner presque parfait
Favourite band/singer/musician: Feu! Chatterton, Fauve, Stromae, Indochine, Vanessa Paradis
Favourite audiobook/podcast: France Inter: L'Invité/Interactiv' avec Patrick Cohen, Service Public, Le téléphone sonne, Rendez-vous avec X, Là-bas si j'y suis France Culture: Du grain à moudre, Le monde selon Edwy Plenel, Concordance des temps, L'Esprit public, Repliques RFI: Accents d'Europe Europe 1: L'interview politique avec Jean-Pierre Elkabbach
Favourite textbook: Expressions et Style, Grammaire expliquée du français
Favourite audio learning resource:IE Languages
Favourite video learning resource: L'Institut national audiovisuel, Téléfrançais :)
Favourite web-basced learning resource: IE Languages again, plus a certain someone's semi-secret Anki/Chrome plugin (I'll let him decide if he wants to "plug" it)
Anything else about your learning journey: One year study abroad in Paris, almost a year teaching English in the Parisian suburbs, a few France trips, and an internship at the French Consulate
2 persons have voted this message useful

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3411 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchA2
Studies: Polish

Message 35 of 114
07 January 2015 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Bonjour à tous!

Cette année est bel et bien en cours!
This year is well and truly underway!

Cant wait to see everyone's log

redflag wrote:
BTW I discovered today if you can make pluzz.francetv.fr think you
are in la republique you can watch a tonne of
shows there AND CRUCIALLY you can sort by which ones have sous-titres. I think I am
going to binge on French
reality shows this weekend ...

If you have an android phone you could get Èfake gps locaterÈ and you could set that
to france et voilà!

Let me test it right now and get back to you

EDIT : it works.

Edited by Straya on 07 January 2015 at 10:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

Light
Canada
Joined 4219 days ago

30 posts - 42 votes
Studies: French

Message 36 of 114
07 January 2015 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Username: Light
Level in French: Underachiever (so far)
Link to log: French, Russian, Greek, Hebrew (TAC 2015)
Favourite book:
Favourite comic/BD:
Favourite film:
Favourite TV series:
Favourite band/singer/musician:
Favourite audiobook/podcast:
Favourite textbook: Assimil New French With Ease
Favourite audio learning resource:
Favourite video learning resource:
Favourite web-based learning resource: Lingvist.io
Anything else about your learning journey: You could probably tell I haven't had much exposure to native materials, or even enough learning materials to pinpoint what I like best. I've shown interest in learning french for quite some time, but I've spent very little of it actually learning the language (I have learned, I just haven't been a good learner, or one with the right discipline, and there's a ton of stuff I haven't tried). French is definitely top of my list of things to do this year, and I think I will have some bit of success. I have a bit of a long-term goal to spend a year in a place where I can surround myself with French speakers. I hope to accomplish this, and in 5 years I should be good to go. Why not sooner? I'm just not ready for it mentally (or financially), and that's more important to me to prepare for it than whatever level I'm at in, say, 1 or 2-3 years. Plans can change, but 5 years is the number I'm putting on it right now. I have to make shorter term goals to eventually reach the big one.

Here's a list of plans though:

Read native materials, I have Le Petit Prince on deck for hopefully when I finish NFWE.
Search for music.
Give some podcasts a chance.
Maybe try some TV shows with french subtitles.

I hope I can fill up this list with my results. I feel like a complete beginner here.

See you in your logs!

Edited by Light on 11 January 2015 at 3:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Meyers
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 3403 days ago

36 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*, German

Message 37 of 114
08 January 2015 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Username: Meyers
Level in French: A1
Link to log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39898&PN=1&TPN=1
Favourite book:
Favourite comic/BD: Asterix / Tintin
Favourite film: Les Choristes, Amélie, L'auberge Espagnole.
Favourite TV series: Game of Thrones.
Favourite band/singer/musician: Stromae
Favourite audiobook/podcast: -
Favourite textbook: Assimil
Favourite audio learning resource: Michel Thomas
Favourite video learning resource: French in Action
Favourite web-based learning resource: Memrise
Anything else about your learning journey: Decided to start learning my girlfriend's language after spending
time in France.

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4353 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German

Message 38 of 114
08 January 2015 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Username: anamsc2
Level in French: B1-B2 (but low active skills)
Link to log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39723
Favourite book: - (although I do highly recommend the French magazine Glamour -- www.glamourparis.com)
Favourite comic/BD: -
Favourite film: Amelie? Rien à déclarer? (those are the only 2 French films I can remember having seen)
Favourite TV series: MasterChef
Favourite band/singer/musician: Amel Bent
Favourite audiobook/podcast: L'Atelier numérique
Favourite textbook: -
Favourite audio learning resource: Le journal en français facile
Favourite video learning resource: -
Favourite web-based learning resource: -
Anything else about your learning journey: I'm moving to France in a few months, and I'd like to speak enough French before then so that I never have to switch to another language. I'd also like to pass a C1 test sometime this year.

Edited by anamsc2 on 08 January 2015 at 7:55am

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3548 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 39 of 114
08 January 2015 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
I'd just like to pay my respects to all the victims and their families of the horrifying events which occurred in Paris yesterday. Us people who are either learning French or who already speak the language have one thing which unites us all: a love of the French language and its accompanying culture. Having been deeply affected by the recent terrorist attack in my home town of Sydney, I can at least begin to imagine how deeply affected the people of France especially are at this time. To any of you who are in France or have in any other way been impacted or affected by this event, stay strong. Thank you.
5 persons have voted this message useful

tomgosse
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3786 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 

Message 40 of 114
08 January 2015 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Here in Boston we had the bombings at the Marathon a year and half ago. We know what you are going through.

Nos sympathies sont avec vous. Aujourd’hui, nous sommes charlie. Bon courage!

Boston is Charlie!

Edited by tomgosse on 08 January 2015 at 3:29pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version