Joined 4396 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 81 of 114
26 February 2015 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
Hey guys, why this low activity? :(

I've been very ill for the last twenty days or so after catching a strong flu. I'm slowly getting better and going back to my usual activities, but it will take me another one/two weeks before I fully recover.
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5270 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 82 of 114
05 March 2015 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone,

I'm not the most tech savvy that's certain. However I thought I'd share a little something I discovered in my
'net wanderings' of late. I was enjoying reading wikipedia in French in relation to Québec, Québec City,
Montréal - the history, language etc, and then I became curious about French in Nouveau Brunswick. Anyway
I then thought I'll just type in "le français dans le monde" (i'm sure i've done this numerous times before) into
google and see what comes up. This website came up. It's a magazine in French which discusses all things
associated with the French language around the world particularly the learning and teaching of it - the state of
the language, conferences, methods to pass exams, exotic places where its spoken, anything it seems to do
with the language.

I don't think this link works... so just type in www.fdlm.org
Magazine: le français dans le monde

You can read a full copy for free online via that link, or download the 3rd party magazine browsing app called
"Issuu" or sign up with "Issuu" website perhaps? (I used the app) to gain free access to some of the content
of the magazine- a handful of free pages (few articles) of each issue of which there seem to be hundreds of
issues up to date. I find this stuff interesting (reading about the French language in French). I downloaded the
Issuu app. I must say i'm almost tempted to sign up for the digital subscription of this magazine but I can't
justify the expense being worth it given all my other materials. Still gaining access to the free content is still
worthwhile. If you do know of/ want to try out the app "Issuu" there is a lot of other good reading on there...

Via the Issuu app which is a magazine browsing style app in which you find anything of interest and add it to
your reading list after searching your interests. There seems to be quite a few other magazines in French.
One I found very interesting which may interest some other peopl is calle "54 États". It's a magazine about
Africa - politics, culture, agriculture, technology. I'm not sure the content is riveting (haven't really read much
of it yet) but the fact that every single article is written in both French and English (side by side on the page)
is useful for us French learners. All content on the Issuu app seems to be completely free (that's one of its
selling points ironically), so 54 Etats is a completely free French magazine via this app.

Hey Suzukaze... I hope you're feeling better!

PM

Edit: As I still find myself getting used to the Issuu app I just discovered some French learning materials on
there for free. For example DK French-English bilingual visual dictionary (over 6000 words with
diagrams/photos/pix). I bought this book some yrs ago for a small sum but via this app the whole thing is free!
I dont fully understand the concept of the app tho as bookmarks dont seem possible, I dont mind when i have
access to a claimed 18million publications free - u can DL what u like & read offline too

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 05 March 2015 at 9:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3636 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 83 of 114
08 March 2015 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Looks interesting thanks Peter.

Did we lose posts?   Was there something about the output challenge?

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3801 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 84 of 114
09 March 2015 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
PM -

Awesome find! Thanks for sharing! There was an iOS app which made it real simple!

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5270 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 85 of 114
11 March 2015 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Hey redflag and Mohave,

Yeah it's quite a good find the Issuu iOS app is particularly nice...

I don't know what's gone on exactly lately with changes at HTLAL but I'm no longer
getting email notifications of any messages in any logs, weird. I'm sure it will resolve
as I start writing in ppl's log's again, but it almost seems like I'll need to
'subscribe' to everyone's logs again that I was following... fun fun

Throw a turd over your shoulder

redflag
Australia
Joined 3636 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 86 of 114
11 March 2015 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I have/had a filter on my gmail so all email notification went to a special folder but
since the dramas it's stopped working and mostly they just go to spam. I tried setting
up a new filter but the from address is my own address so it's difficult to find
something to filter by ....
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5270 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 87 of 114
11 March 2015 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
I have/had a filter on my gmail so all email notification went to a special folder but
since the dramas it's stopped working and mostly they just go to spam. I tried setting
up a new filter but the from address is my own address so it's difficult to find
something to filter by ....

Hmmm, after reading this I checked my gmail account properly and low and behold it was all seen as spam! I
hope I can resolve this... thanks for the tip!

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4396 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 88 of 114
11 March 2015 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hey Suzukaze... I hope you're feeling better!

I'm still feeling so-so; the flu is mostly gone but I started having anxiety attacks from time to time so some days I'm feeling normal, others…not so much.

I'm trying to study regularly, though. It helps to keep my mind occupied :)

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version