Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 24
25 March 2015 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
It is always a relief to accomplish something I have set out to do. Well, I have finished lesson 10 of "Modern Russian". This lesson has introduced me to imperfective future, directional versus location concepts, and more unpaired consonant sounds. I am trying to study 45 minutes each day without interruption. As for Assimil, I am currently on lesson 63. There are so many vocabulary and new grammar rules being introduced that I sometimes feel overwhelmed. On a side note, I have recently picked up a self-improvement book, "Mini Habits," written by Stephen Guise. I am going to incorporate its ideas of taking small daily habits to build consistent and lasting success.
1 person has voted this message useful

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 18 of 24
04 April 2015 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 11 of "Modern Russian" is quite a challenge. There are so many variations of genitive plural of nouns that I have a tendency to mix them up. I know it just takes time to integrate new grammar and sentence constructions. I will have to review this lesson once I have finished this book. Since I have put a lot of time in "Modern Russian" I have only accomplished 3 lessons of Assimil. Currently, I am studying lesson 67.

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3642 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 19 of 24
04 April 2015 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
I hijack your log, sorry :)
You can watch the 3 videos about the genitive plural: the first video is really helpful to understand the logic of the formation of the declension, with the yod and the final cluster of consonants. The 2 following videos give little memory tricks for the other declensions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 20 of 24
19 April 2015 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Arnaud, for the video suggestion. I did take some time out to review the genitive plurals. However, after a few days I would practice the genitives again, and the plural genitives are still difficult to grasp. I have to remind myself with time and constant practice, the genitives will flow out automatically. Well, it took me 2 weeks to accomplish lesson 12 of "Modern Russian". I am fascinated how Russians view motion as one or two directions, and every verb has perfective and imperfective tenses. That makes my learning more difficult; I would like to say more challenging. As for Assimil, I have not made any progress--still on lesson 68, actually I have started it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 21 of 24
02 May 2015 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
With more work piling up at the office, I still managed to squeeze some time to study diligently each day. With each accruing lesson, there are more to learn. Lesson 13 of "Modern Russian" deals with the formation of the second person imperative and the declension of adjectives. I reviewed the four declensions and second conjugation of verbs. Sometimes with so many drills, I lost sight of what I supposed to learn. It is so easy to give this pursuit, but I have to remind myself the reason why I have started on this journey in the first place in order to encourage me to keep on moving forward.

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 22 of 24
24 May 2015 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
There is nothing special happening for the past three weeks. A little lack of progress has occurred, but I have managed to finish lesson 14 hastily. There are 4 more lessons than I will have completed volume one of "Modern Russian." To solidify my learning, I will need to repeat it for sure. On a side note, I recently borrowed Pimsleur from the library and I would like to start using it next month.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4856 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 23 of 24
24 May 2015 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Belle Epoque wrote:
With more work piling up at the office, I still managed to squeeze some time to study diligently each day. With each accruing lesson, there are more to learn. Lesson 13 of "Modern Russian" deals with the formation of the second person imperative and the declension of adjectives. I reviewed the four declensions and second conjugation of verbs. Sometimes with so many drills, I lost sight of what I supposed to learn. It is so easy to give this pursuit, but I have to remind myself the reason why I have started on this journey in the first place in order to encourage me to keep on moving forward.

What are the four declensions?

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 24 of 24
01 June 2015 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
It was just another average week with no impressive improvement in learning. Most of my time was spent reviewing the single most notorious declension: the genitive plurals. I was thinking of making a collection of the genitive in Anki. But I decided against it. In a few more days, I will accomplish lesson 14, then I will start using Pimsleur.   

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version