Germany
Joined 3553 days ago

15 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 24
02 February 2015 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Belle Epoque wrote:
As for "Modern Russian", I do like the repetitive drills which help tremendously in my pronunciation and attainment of automaticity.

I've come across "Modern Russian" in a couple of posts now. Is this "Modern Russian: An Advanced Grammar Course" by Derek Offord (link-to-amazon)?
1 person has voted this message useful

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese

Message 10 of 24
08 February 2015 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I have just finished Lesson 6 of "Modern Russian" by Clayton Dawson published in 1964 by Georgetown University Press. The lesson concentrates on accusative singular and conjugation verbы говорить and видеть, and presents the perfective future of verbs пойти and взять. The drills really enforce my learning; however, sometimes they are too repetitive, causing me to have an early burnout phase. My safeguard is to prevent burnout from happening. I have noticed with any acquisition of knowledge or skill, there is an incline but also there is a plateau that I cannot climb or learn any further. It is important to remain on the plateau with the shortest time as possible and to constantly push higher on the learning curve. As of right now, I cannot afford to be on a plateau. I need to switch gear to take care of myself physically and emotionally to the next challenge. As for Assimil, I am on lesson 40, learning about singular instrumental case.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4856 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 11 of 24
13 February 2015 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Belle Epoque wrote:
verbы

A Russian plural ending came into English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3375 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, French

Message 12 of 24
13 February 2015 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for posting a beginner's log. I'm new to the site, and starting at the very beginning
with Irish, though I've studied other languages (deep) in the past. It's interesting and
encouraging to see how another beginner-ish person navigates their course of learning.

So keep posting, other newbies are out here listening. Keep up the good work.

Edited by tangleweeds on 13 February 2015 at 10:39pm

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 13 of 24
16 February 2015 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
My study week was cut short due to Valentine's weekend. Although I would like to put more hours into my language study, it would be best to devote some of my time to building and maintaining a worthwhile relationship. Thus, I have had to reserve other blocks of time to complete lesson 7 of "Modern Russian." The lesson deals with hard vs. soft consonants p, b and m. Differentiation between the hard and soft sounds is driving me up the wall. I think only through time I will be able to distinguish them. Besides the pronunciation, the lesson covers nominative plurals of both nouns and possessive modifiers. As for Assimil "Le russe sans peine, I have accomplished 5 lessons; however, I wonder how am I going to absorb all the vocabulary from both textbooks. Maybe I should have continuted using Anki--it is too late now to pick it up again.

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 14 of 24
23 February 2015 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
Last week due to time constraint, I haphazardly studied my lessons and I was unable to integrate and recall new materials learned. However, this week I have paid more attention to learning my lessons. In lesson 8 of "Modern Russian" there was a review of consonants v, f and l. In addition, there were many drills on the genitive of singular nouns. Sometimes I think audio-lingual style of learning is so boring, but the drills are so essential to building automaticity. However, I do enjoy learning from Assimil. Its dialogues are often hilarious and entertaining. Presently, I have accomplished up to lesson 51 of Assimil.

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 15 of 24
05 March 2015 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
Chapter 9 of "Modern Russian" has taken me more than a week to accomplish but I have managed to finish it at last. This chapter concentrates more on singular genitive case. I also practiced past tense drills which were not too difficult. And I have finished lesson 57 of Assimil. I have decided to finish all the lessons before I go back from the beginning to do the second wave. I hope I can continue like this for the next 10 months.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Belle Epoque
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3433 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 16 of 24
18 March 2015 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
For the past two weeks, I have been out of town taking care of my old father and his living situation. Thus, when there are persistent worries on my mind, I am unable to focus on my studies. I have only finished two lessons of Assimil and a few pages of Lesson 10 of "Modern Russian." I am hoping to pick up the momentum to start learning Russian again.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version