Groupie
United States
Joined 3432 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 17 of 24
18 January 2015 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Excellent week! I have continued shadowing the same "Terre a Terre" podcast for 20 minutes
each day. I really enjoy this practice at the moment (while it is still shiny and new.) I
finally got around to putting some French music on my mp3: both of Stromae's albums and a
best hits of IAM. I have gravitated most to Stromae's first album "Cheese". It may be less
interesting lyrically than the other two at my disposal but I enjoy it more. My favorite
tracks are "Bienvenue Chez Moi" and "Je Cours" I am almost finished with the audiobook for
"Around the world in 80 days" which I am following well enough for it to be enjoyable.Alot of
listening over all, sometimes it is tiring. I have been watching one episode of Eva before
going to bed and it is really an incredible work. For reading, i was occupied with BDs: two
stories about Lapinot which were just trop rigolo, and remind me strongly of Sam and Max, and
two stories about Corto Maltese a piratey/mysticism kind of thing that were not too bad. I
also read one issue of "Silence" a magazine about ecology/non-violence. I'm starting to feel
like its my duty to read as many BDs as I can while I can; it really is its own corner of
French cultural achievement that is not quite paralleled in quality or range in the USA. I
also started the strange project of copying all of the French proverbs from a 1998 edition of
La Rousse. I have done about a hundred so far. Disappointingly, yet also conveniently, most
of them have very exact English equivalents. I am thinking about making an Anki deck with
them when finished. Currently I am only using Said's French deck, adding 40 new cards a day,
hoping to finish it sooner than later. I hope to move towards creating more grammar decks,
probably cloze deletion once my keyboard comes. I have made good progress in " Grammaire
practique du francaise en 80 fiches" and "Difficultes de francais", doing about one section
of each a day. The exercises in the latter are very appropriate for cloze deletion and would
help me sort out some of my preposition issues. Next week, my summary will be posted in
French, accents and all!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3806 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 18 of 24
18 January 2015 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like you had a very productive week with some fun resources! Thanks for the mentioning them. I
have subscribed to Terre à Terre - and plan to listen to it this week. I was in need of some new podcasts!

plumbem!
Groupie
United States
Joined 3432 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 

Message 19 of 24
07 February 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Voila, mon nouveau clavier. J'ai moins d'envie d'écrire en francais que j'ai prevu. Ca reste
un chose peu agreeable. Mais alors, les nouvelles; j'ai decidé de prendre l'examen B2 à
Carcassonne 19 mars. Je n'ai aucune peur et je suis sur que tout aura bien. Mais quand meme,
je vais etudier un peu avec les ressources fournit par l'éditeur CLE. Comme j'ai dit c'est la
production écrite qui me donne les soucis; à sujet du comprehensions orale, de la production
orale et bien entendu, le comprehension écrit, tout irait bien.

Aussi j'ai decidé de prendre l'examen NT2 (néerlandais comme deuxieme langue) en juillet.
C'est un peu pres le niveau B2. J'attendrai jusqu'à mars pour commencer de me préparer. Chez
mon néerlandais la production écrit est encore pire. Oh la la! Ce n'est bon de jouer mon
propre rabat-joie. à chaque jour suffit sa peine! Disons je n'ai pas encore decouvert comment
faire ni cedille, ni circumflex, ni "à" majuscule avec ce truc. Tant pis.

Je l'ai commandé parce-qu'Il y a quelque moi j'ai perdu le sentiment du progrès quotidien
avec le francais. Je pense que enfin j'arrive à me relaxer un peu. Pourquoi est-ce que
j'avais mis la pression sur moi-meme, ca c'est plutot la question.

Je considérais davantage le notion que la langue comporte un peu le comportement, ou au
moins, que chaque langue a son propre point de vue ou moyen de voir. Quand je parle francais,
je me sens plutot pessimist, critique, l'humeur un peu noir ou isolée. Avec le néerlandais
c'est le joie, la folie; j'aime plaisanter. Et enfin, dans ma langue maternelle, il n y a pas
les caracteristiques notable, c'est moi, comme d'habitude, le meme; lui qui ne peut pas
changer beaucoup, qui existe depuis longtemps. Bien entendu, je exaggère un peu. Mais
vraiment je pense qu'il y a quelque chose la, qui explique mon désire d'apprendre, de vivre
les autre langues. Je me sens eloigner de moi-meme, comme une vacance ou une opportunité
d'oublier.

à ce moment je regards Avatar et je viens de finir (dieu soit loué) le septieme roman de
Harry Potter. Elle a vraiment raté les derniers livres! Je ne sais pas ce que je vais
lire...Heureusement, j'ai déjà trouvé le légende de Korra en francais.
2 persons have voted this message useful

plumbem!
Groupie
United States
Joined 3432 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 

Message 20 of 24
22 March 2015 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
O lord what a gap there!

I basically stopped "working" on French in the grammar/Anki sense and have been just trying
to relax and get the best out of being here for my last month. I was staying with a family
with small children and it was incredible; pretty much non-stop conversation pactice.

I feel comfortable in French now. I also have a realistic picture of how rich and unkowable
it will remain. I have finally starting hearing my own accent when I speak it. It shows up
pretty heavily when I have to speak at length, off the cuff, when I am tired, etc.

In two days I will be in the Netherlands and having to face the fact that my Dutch has
backslid a lot in the last eight months as I've focused on French. The idea of "maintaing"
ability is something that eludes me. I guess frankly the idea of keeping up with my French
while in the Netherlands doesn't seem appealing: I'd rather work on my Dutch! If I was in the
U.S. I could see myself working a little on each but I'd rather get what I can while I can.

Thde craziest thing is that Wolof, well I am going to learn it to fluency. The Peace Corps
language training is supposed to be of a very very high quality. I still don't know whether
to trust in it and just relax before my departure in September or if I should take the effort
to start on my own. I will get there after two and a half years either way.

I have fully serveyed the landscape of resources and it is slim. An interesting option is to
use French as an L1. This way I don't need to worry about French study, as it will be
included. I think I am ready and interested in such a challenge but I am not sure if it is a
good idea, specifically as my training with the Peace Corps will definitely use English as
the L1. What a world! I feel very excited by the possibilities ahead and all of the great
unknowingness that will come with my debut in a language that is really different.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3806 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 21 of 24
23 March 2015 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Non-stop conversation practice in French - that sounds like Heaven on earth! Good for you! You made an
interesting point about being able to hear your accent while speaking - this is something I need to continue to
work on -- And am not there yet!

How long are you in the Netherlands for?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 22 of 24
23 March 2015 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
There's nothing wrong with using French-based Dutch resources alongside English-based lessons. I use Le Hindi sans peine (French-based) along with a load of other English-based material. Since you don't expect to practice French directly, I would strongly encourage you to use something with a French base so you don't lose the progress you've made so far.

plumbem!
Groupie
United States
Joined 3432 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 

Message 23 of 24
15 May 2015 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Long time no post!

I have been in a collecting phase with resources and have some amazing finds. I probably
spent like 150 euros on various games/quiz cards for Dutch, and recently bought three
French/Wolof bilingual texts.

My sister is here and we are travelling together for a month or so. As she is also keen to
learn Dutch I got her Assimil and she is working on it every morning. Very proud that she can
enter into the language with a more efficient system than I did (Rosetta Stone).

I also, being in the northern part of the Netherlands, have encountered some Frisian speakers
and would like to learn a bit for fun, nothing serious.

I have been using Klaare Taal a Dutch workbook, and a French-Dutch "getting further" Assimil
which is awesome. Also am listening to repeats of NPO (Dutch radio) programs as well as some
French programs and shadowing (still enjoying ecological/organic themed stuff), as well as
doing a few scholastic quiz cards in French. Started a Simone de Beauvoir (Une morte tres
douce) and am re-reading the 2nd Harry Potter in Dutch (need to find a Dutch authout I like
but am still intimidated by something like Max Havelaar or more currently, Arnon Grunberg (a
personality I am not really sure I enjoy here)

Soon I will be changing gears again, putting the focus back on French, finding a daily
minimum for Dutch and starting Wolof from scratch. I am very excited to begin and find the
lack of resources comforting and probably better for initial learning. Especially with
listening comprehension, I have noticed I get more out of focused, repeated listens than out
of broad, thematically wandering passive work. Having only two books of fairy tales, one work
book, one grammar, and one commic book (as well as a pocket assimil course than I am not too
enthusiastic about) seems refreshing. That versus being able to download a language learning
pack for French or Dutch with literally 20-30 different courses, dozens of graded readers,
dozens of grammars, etc.

Anyways, onward to my new experiment! (Wolof through French)

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5275 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 24 of 24
25 August 2015 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Hey plumben!

Are you still out there? I'm chasing up a few MIA French team members. Many of us have
moved to the alternative site how-to-learn-any-language.org

Hope you're well :)

PM

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version