United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3806 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 24
04 January 2015 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Bienvenue et Bonne Chance! I'm also looking forward to following your progress in French on the log (and
perhaps Dutch)! Thanks for the recommendation on the Anki deck with vocab for modern life/politics. One of
my specific goals is to increase my vocabulary size so I will definitely look into that deck and see if it is on
target.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3655 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 10 of 24
04 January 2015 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
I will be following your log, and wishing good luck. I'm currently studying French (at
university), and I hope to be able to pick up Dutch at some point this year. I admire
your determination to take grammar to task, hopefully you'll rub off on me!

plumbem!
Groupie
United States
Joined 3432 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 11 of 24
04 January 2015 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to everyone for the support! TEAM FRENCH!

I am going to write a recap once a week in evernote and post it if I have internet.Hopefully
this won't be too much (!) but its as much for me to reflect on what I've done and what I
need to do the next week.

This week has gone absolutely not according to plan (as set forth in my first post) but was
excellent nonetheless.

It is the first time where I have put considerable work into French and Dutch at the same
time and it has been interesting. It has also created some awkward situations with mixing,
and slower than usual response time in conversation but, has also shown me some parallels
between them and allowed me to get a little more meta with the sounds of each (in an
experiential/experimental sense, no books yet).

This is probably been allowed to happen because I have been walking four hours a day
commuting to the goats, which has shifted things over to a lot of mp3 listening, talking to
myself (switching mid sentence from one to the other), and interestingly, my first attempts
at shadowing, which, were realy interesting.

It (shadowing) feels a little bit like eating adderol, which I wouldn't know anything about.
It is also fatiguing; I could only keep it up for five to ten minutes at a time. It was very
wierd but also so surprising that here I was producing these really complex sentences, that I
understood, the trick being that, I didn't create them!
Yet it was very different than reading aloud, a tactic I really do enjoy (although my mouth
always gets dry), even with a good book in English and even more so with a child by one's
side.
I felt like it connected a lot of different skills and I will keep messing around with it a
little every day.

FRENCH
I have been a monster consumer; i.e. huge amounts of passive work. I got from start to 70% in
HP 6, listened to The Stranger audio book, (read by Camus soi-meme!), listened to 7 hours of
podcast, watched the first 6 episodes of Avatar, the first episode of Cowboy Bebop, of
Avatar, of Miyazaki's Sherlock Holme's series and two tintin episodes. I poked around MT
Advanced (I have been comparing it to the Dutch MT advanced) and got the idea of pausing, not
to give the answer, but to translate all of his prompts/the dialogue into French. This has
resulted in me saying a lot of stupid things outloud like "Tu veux dire, ca serait tu veux
dire". May the mountains be my only witness.oh ya, No grammar work, no anki, oh god...

Also a lot of French to the face, sometimes too much. A bunch of my host's friends from PhD
school stayed at the house for three days surrounding NYE and talked about sociology.
I had to really fight to get my words in and not annoy people. (For example by telling yet a
different story of livestock (this time sheep) borrowed from a farmer, the municipal police
of Lyon and the slaughterhouse regulations in France)

DUTCH
I have gotten through the first six chapters of the Routledge basic gammar and while not
every chapter has given me some brilliant "aha!" moment it has still been great. I relistened
to the entire MT Advanced and came to the conclusion that its not really going to help me and
that it is far (too strong a word?) inferior to the MT French. I also found a podcast called
"Vroege Vogels that I like enough and is perfect for listening reasons> I was able to get
through one episode which was....3 hours long? There are a few things that make this podcast
great for learning: 1. <A recurring and slightly changing (based on updates) news bulletin
every 1/2 hour> 2. <A listener call in section where you get to rapidly here a lot of
different accents as people report birds or wildlife they saw recently.> 3. Commercials every
half hour. I would never think of this as a good thing but, since its a foreign language I
do! 4. Classical music breaks for my tired brain while I can ask myself what motivates the
Dutch to kijken kijken niet kopen.

Also I wrote a couple emails in Dutch this week but did not get to Skype my mom >.>

GOALS:
For next week I would love to report that I have researched the employment of the subjective
in depth, that I have gotten 5 chapters done in Routledge Dutch and that I have started Anki
again (I should have never put it down for Christmas!)

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3806 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 12 of 24
05 January 2015 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
That is an impressive amount of work with some great resources! how was your comprehension level on
HP6, and L'Etranger? Keep this pace up and you will definitely see good progress!

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3553 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 13 of 24
05 January 2015 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Good luck teammate! I especially love the name of your log, very clever haha

Bonne chance!

Edited by liam.pike1 on 11 January 2015 at 3:34pm

plumbem!
Groupie
United States
Joined 3432 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 14 of 24
10 January 2015 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Well again here to reflect on a week not gone to plan. I am changing course! Part of this is
due to being put onto the next stage of the peace corps filtrage , and the prospects of
Senegal seeming brighter.(For another post, I might be looking at learning Wolof and having
to speak it daily for two years) Also part of this was due to a frustration with slower than
normal French production I think due to Dutch/French mixing, but also to a relatively
unproductive December.
To keep motivation up, I am going to focus exclusively on French while I am still in France!
So for the next ten weeks, its only French except for talking to family in Dutch once or
twice a week.
To signal this to myself

1. I bought a French keyboard (arriving the 21st grrrr) and switched my system language to
French. I am going to start writing my personal journal entries in French and do everything
else I can in terms of written production, in French.

2. I have sworn off all English language resources. This is for immersion, and I'm ready for
it, but also because I am finding that the French resources are better. I think by a lot. One
example of this is a book I found in the attic of the house called "Difficultes de Francais".
This book is awesome and goes right to the throat. I am not taking the time to read the whole
thing yet, setting off on "Grammaire Practique du Francais en 80 Fiches" which is a nice
simple "French" explanation of grammar basics with exercises, first.
I will in the meantime use the "Difficultes" to learn the phonetic alphabet and start
collecting problematic words in my pronunciation.

As for this week, I finished HP 6, and read an issue of "Courrier International" a lovely
assemblage of international press translated into French that I could see myself getting a
script for stateside.
I have listened to about 5 hours of podcast, 2 hours of the "Around the world in 80 days"
audiobook (very good so far!), and continued shadowing 20 minutes once or twice a day,
independently of that. I have been using a Terre a Terre episode on Le monde de teintures
naturelles repeatedly and it gets easier and easier to produce the French and even to finish
the sentences ahead of the speakers. I will continue with this audio for a couple weeks. I
have watched 6 episodes of avatar, 2 of sherlock holmes, 2 Bebop, and 3 of Eva, which as it
is my first watch, is...amazingly well made. I am following all of these pretty well, with
Avatar definitely being the easiest and probably Bebop being the hardest. I did the first two
sections of "Grammaire en 80 fiches and found them excellent. Also plenty of French to the
face with my host family and around the village.

I won't bother setting any goals for next week, it seems like bad luck! I do hope to switch
to posting in French once I get my keyboard!

Edited by plumbem! on 10 January 2015 at 11:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tomgosse
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3791 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 

Message 15 of 24
10 January 2015 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
plumbem! wrote:

I won't bother setting any goals for next week, it seems like bad luck!

I seem to have the same problem.
Bon courage,
Thomas

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5275 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 16 of 24
11 January 2015 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Hi plumben!

Welcome to Team français. I love the fact you're studying French and Dutch. I love both
of these languages, cultures and countries- although close geographically they are so
different. My wife and I spent some time in NL in 2011 and France too. I miss that part
of the world a lot and am envious (in a nice way) of your position. I hope you get a lot
out of it. So good luck in 2015 and also I hope you get the opportunity to study Wolof
and go to Senegal. That would be very unique indeed. All the best!

PM

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version