redflag
Australia
Joined 3636 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 49 of 58
07 February 2015 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I'm going to do the course Monday I think as I'm flat out this weekend - I definitely think you should read the Prince
in English and then write in French. The writing in French is already a major task. You can always go back and read
it in French afterwards.
1 person has voted this message useful

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3432 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: French

Message 50 of 58
09 February 2015 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Week in Sum:

Well, I took Saturday off, but otherwise kept up pretty well this week.

I made quick and steady progress on both Duolingo and Lingvist. I can see the light on Duolingo,
and there are only 10 skills left. I also made decent progress on Assimil - not as a daily thing but I
was able to do a few each a couple of the days and got up to lesson 14. I also started from the
beginning of FSI French Phonology and did 1&2 again. I only did one lesson in the Practice Makes
Perfect: Pronouns and Prepositions so far, but I think it will be a big help. That first lesson took an
hour.

I spent a couple of hours writing and couple more rebuilding my network on Lang-8 this week. I
think it was pretty good, although I don't feel like I've progressed much in my writing fluency since
my last attempts a couple of months ago.

I'm excited about the possibilities with MOOCs. The one I started this week, Découvrir la science
politique on edx.org, wasn't super easy to follow but it's not impossible and I think it's a good
bridge to gaining confidence with pure listening too. I'm really looking forward to writing, but I
need to do some reading first (in English) and I haven't gotten around to that yet.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4830 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 51 of 58
09 February 2015 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Looks like you're keeping up a good pace. Keep us updated on the MOOCs, they sound interesting. Best of luck with french phonology btw, It's highly useful but also extremely dull. I ended out stopping after like lesson 5 lol. I really should go back and do it all the way through.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3801 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 52 of 58
11 February 2015 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
s.mann wrote:
Regarding the 6WC:

I've done some soul and forum searching, and decided not to use FSI FAST as my
course for the challenge. I think it would be better if I had a more immediate need to
interact with French speakers in French, but alas I will have to chase them down and
make them talk to me instead, which means I need to be much more interesting rather
than transactional.

So, the revised plan:

Reading (as little as 10 minutes a day, more if it’s compelling)
Continue my LR with Voyage au Centre de la Terre with some potential intensive
reading if it gets too opaque to enjoy after the part I translated on Duolingo a couple of
months ago.

Grammar (2 hrs/day, 5 days/week, 30 minutes on weekends)
Finish the Duolingo tree
Work through the Practice Makes Perfect: Pronouns and Prepositions workbook at
least once, possibly twice. There are 18 units and Unit 1 took me just under an hour
according to Toggl. That would be worthy.
Possibly follow-on with some lexical drills for the pronouns and prepositions from FSI
Basic to really drill this part in before moving on. (? Hrs)

(Sort of) Speaking (1 hr/day, 5 days/wk)
Give myself up to 3 weeks of the 6 to work through French Phonology again and nail it.
Restart Pimsleur after feeling confident with pronunciation, which should get me to at
least the end of Pimsleur I (morning, review previous; evening, new lesson, on the
treadmill)

Pure Listening
Listen to RFI daily with the transcript in hand (cheat with Google News if I really can't
figure it out from both of those).
Work backwards through News in Slow French (see Writing below)

(Sort of) Writing (30-45 minutes a day?)
Type out transcripts as I hear them of the short old broadcasts of News in Slow
French. At minimum check them in Word for spelling mistakes. See if anyone on the
forums wants to help me correct them.

Vocab
Keep up with Lingvist! As I get closer to the end of Duolingo it becomes more clear
that I'm going to run out of overlap and will need words further down the frequency list.
Thankfully, Lingvist can and will manage that for me.

Overall
Assimil NFWE – I WILL get through to lesson 49.

What a great plan for the Six Week Challenge! How is this working out for you so far? I am also trying to do
grammar studies this round, but it is definitely NOT my favorite thing to do! :)

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3432 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 

Message 53 of 58
12 February 2015 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
@Mohave - Oh, it's going about as well as any well-laid plan :) Two weeks into it I'm 2/18 through
the PMP workbook, 2/10 through FSI Phonology, did 1 new Pimsleur (ahead of schedule), started
a MOOC class instead of doing the news-related stuff, started some free-writing instead of
dictation (which is probably not as good for me right now) and kept up with Duolingo and Lingvist
pretty well, (mostly because they keep me honest by keeping track of me). And shame of shames,
I'm already tired of tracking my time for the 6WC.

I like all of the above plans, and really want to do them, but am finding that if I gain momentum on
one most of the rest fall by the wayside. In reality I need to approach this modularly, and so I have,
by prioritizing the end of new lessons on Duolingo, gaining traction on Assimil, and incorporating
audio resources of any type as often as possible (even if I keep changing around what am listening
to). I will let the rest tease me into trying them out. The dictation part of the plan really appeals to
me because I was doing that months ago and feel like I could understand more from pure listening
back then.

----

Tonight I went to a meetup.com French conversation as my first time speaking with
strangers (or to anyone who also speaks French TBH). There were several Americans and two
French natives, one of whom I got to talk with to an extent. My French was hesitant and a few
times I blurted out the English of what I wanted to say instead of making them wait an eternity for
my French to show up. Honestly, I sucked, but I still think I did better than they thought I did. My
French became slightly more fluid over the hour, especially if I could think of the thing I wanted to
ask about first, rather than responding to a question. I did pretty well with varied topics like who
among them was a regular and where the leader of the group was, but struggled on other basic
topics because I didn't have a few key phrases like "are you from around here?" ready. That said,
the French speaker on my side of the table dismissed me early, telling me that I needed to take
classes... Considering the woman she liked talking to the most didn't even try to use French
pronunciation and mostly said things like "ah, je comprends" in response to her long rants... I'm
willing to ignore it as non-professional advice for now.

Anyway, I really need more practice, and this meetup is going to be at best a measure of my
improvement, not so much a place to get good practice. I think it's time to fund my iTalki
account...

redflag
Australia
Joined 3636 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 54 of 58
12 February 2015 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
That's rather rude of that woman - if you're motivated to go to a meetup obviously you
are trying to improve!   

There's a French meetup every second Tuesday in Sydney which I've been meaning to go to
for ages, they seem to get about 30 or more people,a mixture of native and learners, each
time so hopefully that would mean more choices of speaking partner if one didn't work
out.    

I spent a week after new year in a francophone country and came to the same conclusion
you did - I really needed conversation practice for things I knew passively and have been
doing conversation on iTalki since then.

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3432 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 

Message 55 of 58
12 February 2015 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
@redflag - I agree, although I also think the way I wrote it made it sound more confrontational than it
was. TBH it seemed like the native speaker was just there because she wanted an audience, it was
much more listening than conversing. Not a bad thing, but I have a lot of other ways to work on
listening - for me this was to work on speaking. I picked this Meetup instead of another because it
seemed more serious but still said it welcomed beginners. The other one nearby is more of a happy-
hour type of thing, as far as I can tell. I wanted to keep it serious but I'm now imagining that if I had
run into that situation at a bar it would have just been easier to mosey on over to more forgiving
conversation partners. As it was I was stuck at the table where I sat the whole time.

There's one for the other group on Friday, so I might go to that and see if I acquit myself any better
there.

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3432 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 

Message 56 of 58
14 February 2015 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I wasn't feeling well last night and that coupled with the cold and wind convinced me to stay
home, so I didn't go to the happy hour meetup. Those are weekly, so maybe next week.

I have a few options for classes:
One place has classes of 3-5 people with a native instructor. All classes average $21 an hour,
plus about $4 each class for public transportation expenses. Very easy for me to get to.

Alliance Francaise around here gets mixed reviews and sounds like classes are up to 10 people.
They average $14/hr for the full classes and $22/hr for the workshops. Transportation would cost
me about $5 each class, but would also require an extra mile of walking round-trip.

A woman in my building advertises herself as a tutor at the "B2" level and is a stay-at-home mom,
so her schedule is flexible. She charges $12 an hour or $80/mo for 8x1hr bi-weekly sessions. Her
name is Indian so I assume she is too. I haven't heard her speak English yet, so I don't know how
much of an accent I should expect.

iTalki professional instructors I like the look of are a minimum of $14 an hour. I'm a night owl so
the AM time-slots for some of the Europe-based native teachers work really well for me. (I have a
1 hour session for pronunciation set up for next week.)

Clearly the woman in my building is the least expensive, but it's hard to tell how good she'll be.
Should I worry about the accent and non-native thing at my point in my studies? I'm starting to
make contacts for free language exchanges too, but I really don't feel like my French is ready to
make that useful on both sides of the conversation. I'll give it a try though - it's okay if I give more
than I receive at first so long as it comes back around eventually, right?

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version