AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5272 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 17 of 18
13 January 2015 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Hi tomgosse,

Welcome to the French team and good luck with your TAC 2015. I feel for you, i've
experienced years and years of on and off procrastination. Hence why my first TAC in
2014 was called PM's anti-procrastination log. In the end after soooo many methods
used to distract myself I just had to get down to business. Procrastination doesn't
help at all really. To lend a phrase from St Nike - "Just do it!"

tomgosse wrote:
Bonjour à tous!
One thing that I would like to ask of people that use Memrise (or any other flash card
program) is how often do you add new words? Do you wait until you are really
comfortable with your current vocabulary or do you keep adding words on a regular
basis? I tend to do the former.

Everyone is different when it comes to this.. well there are many different methods. I
personally add EVERY new word that doesn't exist in my flashcard deck while I use my
textbooks and audio programs - as I view this as intensive deliberate study focused on
acquiring specific vocabulary and understanding new concepts. For movies and TV I
rarely ever enter words as I see it as extensive learning not intensive, and for
reading it's a mixture of intensive and extensive learning so I enter maximum a few
words in any one sitting usually, but when I move onto some of my French learning
magazines it becomes more intensive, so I enter more words. It's cumbersome this
process and annoying, but slow and steady wins the race... or at least gets you there
in the end if you're like me and fixated on not letting any new words slip through
your grasp.

Btw I own Ultimate French REview and Practice also. It's received a lot of positive
reviews, however i'm yet to use it. I'd like to hear what you think of it.

Good luck in 2015. Perhaps reading about how to develop habits would be useful for
you. I have read a few theories and apparently (depending on the source) if you do
something 25 days in a row (i have read 35 days and 40 days too) then you will just
continue doing it as it becomes harder to break the habit (to procrastinate) than not.

PM

Just do it!
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5272 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 18 of 18
25 August 2015 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
Hi Thomas,

PeterMollenburg here (one of the French team leaders). I'm hoping you're still keen on
learning French, and that all is well with you. Many of us migrated to the new " how-to-
learn-any-language.org " website after one too many technical issues. Feel free to plunge
back into the language learning over there with us (or remain here/or do nothing). HOpe
you're going well!

PM
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version