108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 17 of 47
21 December 2014 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Japanese

I watched 114 episodes of Saint Seiya this week. I found out one word that I
didn’t know. I was surprised to watch so many episodes in a week because I am not an
anime fan. Next week I am planning to watch the “Hades” series since I heard that is
amazing.

2. JLPT

I finished the So matome series (N3, N2 and N1).
I have been doing my own anki cards for JLPT based on So-matome series. I am building
separated decks for 語彙、漢字、文法 and 読解.

I realized that as for the N1 (読解), JLPT usually requires:
4 short passages (150-200 characters), 1 question each;
3 medium-length passages (up to 500 characters, "roughly 3/4 of a page"), 3 questions
each;
1 long passage (about 1000 characters), 4 questions;
1 integrated comprehension: 2-3 passages on a topic, 3 questions about the "contrasts
and similarities" of the passages;
1 thematic comprehension (1000 characters). Typically essays or editorials about a
particular boring topic, 4 questions;
1 information retrieval, 2 questions (you don't have to read all of it anyway).

Of course, this is based on the full mock exams and official exams (someone took
pictures of them) I found out on the internet which apparently seems to be structured
in a very similar way.
3. I restarted reading Japanese fairytales, myth and folk tales. I found out that I
have bilingual stories in both Japan and English here. I will start reading the
English version as well.

++ I am planning to read some traveling-related books or books related to business in
Japan.

English

1. I found out in a book the following expression: PR Nightmare.

I was wondering what was “PR” about through the context, but I couldn’t get the idea.
Here is the context:

“PR Nightmare.
Perhaps campy doesn't understand basic biology. In order to live, humans need oxygen,
water, food -- in that order. No oxygen, you suffocate. No water, you die of thirst.
No food, you die of starvation”.
Learned at least one word.

2. Sitcoms
I watched True Detective season 1. I didn’t like it, but I watched all the season.

++Next week I am planning to watch few episodes of the Big Bang Theory’s season 5 or
The Orange is the new black season 1.

++I will read Murakami’s Norwegian wood in both Japanese and English. I think it will
be a good exercise for me to improve my vocabulary. Of course, I will not rely on
translated books in English. I have downloaded books from many authors and I am
willing to read in its original.

Chinese

I generally would only use TY if Assimil or a better method for immigrants is not
available. I really dislike TY and Colloquial recordings because they offer very
little audio and they provide too much English. The explanations are okay, but they
don't cover enough material. For me, TY Chinese is not enough and I actually I am
taking a look at NPCR and PAVC (Taiwanese). I think TY is by far the worst of them.

2. I am still in the process of finding a good method rather than really studying. It
doesn’t make sense to keep on studying all the time if the method doesn’t fit your
needs.

Once we get past "你好吗" (how are you?) and "我不会说中文" (I don't speak Chinese) it
seems the sky's the limit, but what kinds of language can we use to improve
conversational skills and extract even more information out of language exchange
partners, language teachers and native speakers?

As the textbooks didn’t provide some handy expressions, I decided to ask my Chinese
friends to help me out.

1. Excuse me, could you say that again?
(T) 對不起,請再說一遍。

This extremely versatile phrase is perfect for any occasion and beats having to
pretend I understood everything someone just said.

2. I'm sorry, I don't understand

(T) 對不起,我聽不懂。

I just tell my friends that I haven't got a clue and give them a chance to re-phrase,
simplify, or repeat what they just said for clarification.

3. You just said ____, right?

(T) 你剛才說__,是嗎(對嗎)?

This is to put my conversational skills on the offensive and re-clarify what someone
just said using words and language I already know. This is also an awesome way to test
my chops on a word or phrase I just heard. Why do I need someone to repeat something
when I can repeat it by myself? Or at least I try to use this strategy to double check
I have mastered the tones of the words I am trying to repeat.

4. What I mean is...

(T) 我的意思是.......

Are getting a blank stare from across the table? Give myself another shot at
explaining something with this gem of a phrase.

5. How do I say _____ in Chinese?

(T) __用漢語怎麼說?

Before I run to my dictionary to look up a word, I try using this phrase to find out
how something is said in Chinese.

6. What does _____ mean?

(T) ___是什麼意思?

When Iknow how to read a character but when I don't know what the heck it means, this
is a handy question. Sometimes I have been hearing a phrase over and over again but
still don't know it.

7. What is this/that called?

(T) ___這個/那個叫什麼?

This is handy when talking through a webcam. When I don't have a clue what to call
something in my room, I start pointing and say this phrase and get ready to write down
whatever the heck I hear. A perfect weapon for talking about things those are near to
you and the listener.

8. Can you write that down for me?

(T) 請問,您可以幫我寫下來嗎?

With this phrase I'll be making connections between spoken and written language in no
time. Perfect for adding new vocabulary to my notes, anki or whatever.

9. Can you speak a little slower please?

(T) 你可以說得慢一點嗎?
Sometimes it isn't the content that trips us up, but rather the speed of delivery.
Slow things down down with this easy-to-master phrase! I think this was the most used
phrase during my language exchange session with Chinese people.

10. Can I say ____?

(T) 可以說___嗎?

There is no doubt in my mind that taking risks is great way to learn a language fast.
But how the heck do you know if what you said is correct or not if native speakers
usually don’t correct me when they can perfectly understand what I say or write? So, I
always ask my Chinese friends if my sentence is correct or not. (I usually ask one
sentence per day to different people).

That simple phrase allows me to check sentences with others and often leads to even
more information.

Korean

I have reviewed TTMIK season 1 and doing some drills to stick some grammar patterns. I
have made a deck by myself, too.

Tenetehara

I wanted to help HTLAL community by providing information about one of the few
indigenous languages I have been studying. Actually I should say “I studied” because I
am not interested in any Brazilian indigenous languages anymore. At least, none for
now.

I have actually written more than 20 pages in English summarizing the main grammar
topics and the pronunciation of this rare language. Unfortunately I was a victim of an
assault and consequently the criminal took my rucksack, laptop with all my folders,
tablet with my backyp, two external HD with backup, 10 pen drives with all recordings
and backups, my recording device with original recording, handwriting notes made by me
and my acquaintance; anyway, everything related to Tenetehara is already lost. I
wanted to go on fighting, but I was scared to kill the person and go to the jail (if I
got caught by witnesses).

Since I am no longer doing anything related to these indigenous people, language and
culture, that’s all I can share. It is a pity.

Language profile: Tenetehara.

INTRODUCTION

Tenetehara is the one of the Brazilian indigenous languages spoken by more than 5000
native speakers from Guajajara and Tembé’s people. It is spoken in Northern Brazilian
state of Maranhão.

Linguists classify Tenetehara as a Tupian language, belonging to Tupi-Guarani
subfamily. This is subdivided into eight branches, one of which Tenetehara is
classified as.

Linguistic relatives include the Akwáwa, Tapirapé, Ava Canoeiro and Turiwára
languages. It is believed that the last one is already extinct.

At the moment, Tapirapé and Assuriní (one dialect of Akwáwa) are the most similar ones
to Tenetehara in terms of phonological, morphological and syntax features.

USEFULNESS

Unless you plan to live on a Tenetehara reservation or ask for permission to visit
either Guajajara or Tembé reservations in order to do your research, learning this
language is not useful at all. Even in a reservation, most Guajajara or Tembé speak
Portuguese, especially the younger ones among Tembé people. If you are interested in
Tenetehara culture, however, then you would do well to make an attempt at learning
this language. It is intricately tied in with the culture of the Tenetehara, and so to
learn it would be to gain a window into the world of this Brazilian indigenous
language.

CHIC FACTOR     

Because of the language's relatively rarity and distinctiveness from Brazilian
Portuguese, it has been fashionable to research not only Tenetehara, but many
Brazilian indigenous languages as an academic linguist.

There are already dictionaries available in Portuguese: “Tembé-Portuguese” and
“Portuguese-Tembé”, but still more researches should be done in order to collect a
huge amount of data in terms of vocabulary. Tembé people, for instance, they are in
contact with the non-indigenous Brazilian people. So, how are they inserting the
technology-related words? There would be many words that were out of their original
context, so, if the language doesn’t die, how would they name things that originally
don’t exist in their culture?

There is a tendency of multilingualism in the Gurupi River where Tembé people live.
They apparently speak Tenetehara, Portuguese and they apparently have basic fluency in
Ka'apor language. In the other hand, Tembé people who live near Guamá river
apparently cannot speak Tenetehara anymore, except for the old generation people.

ECONOMIC IMPORTANCE

None, really.

TRAVEL OPPORTUNITIES

None, really.

It is not a popular destination at all. Even Brazilians from many states around Brazil
probably have never heard of the Tenetehara’s reservation, unless they are engaged in
research related to them.

Knowing Tenetehara will allow you to travel to visit Tembé reservation located in the
state of Maranhão (Alto Turiaçu), Minas Gerais (Luísa do Vale), and Pará (Alto Rio
Guamá and Turé-Mariquita); and Guajajara reservation in some areas of Pará as well.

COUNTRIES

Spoken in Brazil.

SPEAKERS

About 7000 native speakers (L1).

*According to SIL (2006), about 13000 people were considered to be Guajajara people.
Funasa (2006) states that there were about 19000 Guajajara people. In addition, in
2011 about 1500 people were documented as Tembé.

The question is how many of them speak Tenetehara as L1 as in some schools they are
teaching Portuguese as a native language and Tenetehara seems are taught as L2 (after
they enter the middle school).

As for the Tembé’s data, Funasa hasn’t stated the fact that about 10 to 20% of Tembé
people can actually speak Tenetehara at a native fluency (L1).

Among 6 villages, only one uses Tenetehara (Tembé dialect) in their daily life. The
other four uses Portuguese except with older people who still use Tenetehara.
*No, I am not that bad at mathematics. The other one remaining tribe village, I don’t
have any data.

VARIATIONS

Tenetehara is subdivided into two dialects, Guajajaras and Tembé both of which are
mutually intelligible.

**They call Tenetehara themselves; however, due to some linguistics, anthropology,
social science, political, historical and many other reasons, sometimes Guajajaras are
referred as the language spoken by Guajajara people and sometimes Tembé; sometimes
Guajajaras may refer to the ethnic group only or even the dialect.

Both Guajajara and Tembé dialects share almost the same vocabulary, the auxiliary
verbs inflected and VSO in main clauses as in the following example:

VSO order in any main clause:
oʔok he r-imiriko tɨpɨaʔk kurɨ
Translation: “So, my wife took ‘tapioca’”

Oʔok : Third person of singular. I think what makes morphologically the third person
is the presence of the vowel “o”.
he : my. If I am not wrong, its genre is semantically considered according to the
context which in this case depends entirely in the next word.
r-imiriko: wife. When meaning possession, I guess “r” should be inserted before the
noun.
tɨpɨaʔk: tapioca
kurɨ: so, therefore.

Some vocabulary is indeed similar among Akwáwa, Tapirapé and Tenetehara as the
following example:

Tembé: Okér
Assuriní (one dialect of Akwáwa): óken
Parakanã (one dialect of Akwáwa): oken
Meaning: “he sleeps”.

Tembé: dahý or zahý
Assuriní: txahýa
Tapirapé: txãhý
Meaning: “moon”.

CULTURE

Learning Tenetehara is imperative to understanding both Guajajara and Tembé culture.
Despite their interesting culture, unfortunately they have been suppressed by the
Brazilian people (farmers, lumbermen, squatters, hunters, politics, etc) throughout
the history. It is only recently that they have been able to reclaim their territory,
though it has already been proven that they cannot defend themselves.

DIFFICULTIES

The dearth of learning materials is probably the killer for Tenetehara - most
materials are prohibitively expensive and you won’t find them easily. Hopefully this
will change as interest in the language grows.

TRANSPARENCY

Unless you know the closely related languages, there is no transparency between
Tenetehara and any other major languages in the world.

TIME NEEDED

Unknown.

I have never seen any non-indigenous Brazilian researcher mastering Tenetehara at the
point he or she could speak Tenetehara above B1 level. Brazilian researchers all need
to rely on Tembé or Guajajara interpreters in order to communicate with the community.
Young people apparently can more or less speak Portuguese at intermediate or basic
fluency (according to the HTLAL’s definition). However, they apparently mix Tenetehara
and Portuguese.

I would say that it would probably need some intensive studying (ie immersion) to
become fluent in Tenetehara. It is geographically not an easy task since there will be
no clean water, bathroom, electric energy etc to make things easier depending on which
area of the tribe you decide to visit. I am not sure how negotiations might be in
order to stay in the community if you are not a recognized and registered researcher
in order to stay longer in any tribe.

BOOKS

Unfortunately I haven’t seen any Tenetehara books written by educated Guajajara or
Tembé people. The few documents I have seen so far are those registered by linguists,
anthropologists and other researchers. I cannot attest the quality of the information
provided in the books since I guess native speakers were kind of forced to write
“anything” within the time they were asked to.

SCHOOLS

There are no language schools that teach Tenetehara.

LINKS

Unfortunately, online good and reliable Tenetehara material are near non-existent.

PS:

This is the document I started writing a long time ago. I have no patience for
correcting the English mistakes.

For those who are curious, you may consider reading:
http://dice.missouri.edu/docs/tupi/Tenetehara.pdf

Russian

I am considering gathering information about this magnificent language for 3 months
slow paced challenge.

I am interested in Russian for a couple of reasons.
1. I was told that Russian is the most difficult language in the world. It fascinates
me that the person has mastered about 6000 languages in the world to tell me that
fact;
2. In each 101 of 100 Brazilian people (interested in Russian) I talk to, they all say
that it is a very difficult language;
3. I am interested in Russian football. I want to find channels that provide live
Russian football league. If anyone read this confused log by accident, please, let me
know;
4. I don’t need to use Latin alphabet which makes my brain get tired;
5. There are one Ukrainian (with native fluency in Russian) and one Russian willing to
exchange languages with me.
6. I am interested in the vast Russian literature. As for now, I am considering
reading Bulkakov next year if I find any translation in English or Japanese.
7. I am an ambitious traveler. I am interested in traveling again to Russia, Estonia,
Latvia and Lithuania where I found many Russian speakers. There are also Ukraine,
Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Georgia, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan,
Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and perhaps Mongolia. I guess in most of the listed countries
I can meet basic, advanced fluency or native speakers of Russian. I am interested in
many aspects of history, culture, music, arts and so on.
8. Free access to Russian books and resources. (I have found some websites where I can
download many resources in Russian for FREE!)

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 21 December 2014 at 1:35am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4459 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 18 of 47
21 December 2014 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
I'm curious: your profile lists Japanese as a native language - is that a mistake?

Nieng Zhonghan wrote:

I have watched 114 episodes of Saint Seiya this week.

Wow. That must be nearly 40 hours - how do you find the time. Actually, how do you find the stamina? I
usually have to interleave multiple shows to avoid the feeling of "Oh no, not another episode of X".

Nieng Zhonghan wrote:

English

1. I found out in a book the following expression: PR Nightmare.

I was wondering what was “PR” about through the context, but I couldn’t get the idea.

The context didn't help me much. "PR" usually means "public relations". So a PR nightmare would be
something happening that would show you or your company or your group in a very bad light.

Sorry to hear about the mugging. Hope everything's OK. Please keep posting, I'm finding the Japanese
interesting (well, the bits I can follow anyway :-))

1 person has voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3465 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 

Message 19 of 47
29 December 2014 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
@Dampingwire

Perhaps my situation is similar to yours. I suppose you learned Italian from your
parents and you do speak Italian at home or with your family members and your
relatives from Italy. However, outside your home I assume English is/was the language
of your school education. As for me, Japanese is the language I learned from my
parents. I speak to them in Japanese. I have doubt about which level I should have
chosen, though.

According to HTLAL:

“Basic Fluency - you understand at least 80% of a regular newspaper in your target
language and can hold regular conversations about any topic, understanding what people
say and getting your point across.

Advanced Fluency means that you can read a popular novel and not miss more than 2
words per page on”

According to the HTLAL's definition, I am currently at the Advanced fluency level for
Japanese.

What level is Basic Fluency according to the CEFR? B2 level? What about Advanced
Fluency? Is it somewhere between C1 or C2 level?

I have seen people choosing secondary native language. Perhaps that would be the best
choice, but I do need to understand what are the differences first since some people
choose bilingual status...

Besides that, I have had a gap of 10 years without using Japanese aside from speaking
once a week (for personal purposes and some incidents...). When I was 12 years old I
have mastered 2800 Kanji from my dictionary, for example. I memorized all the
characters just reading them and I learned a lot of vocabulary as well. I also used to
read a lot of books. At that time I was certainly far beyond my current level. To make
things worse, recently a friend of mine said I lost my Japanese accent, for example,
but I don't care about it. :)

Saint Seiya was one of the few anime I really liked in my childhood. (The others were
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Yuyu Hakusho and a few others).

I wasn't fan of watching anime, but now that I am older, I started watching some just
for fan and to rest my mind.

I don't remember where I read PR right now. But I realized that I will need a couple
of years (or a decade) to reach C1 level. Haha. No rush is needed, though. I will take
my own time.

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 29 December 2014 at 11:51am

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4028 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 20 of 47
29 December 2014 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
Who has told you that Russian is the hardest language to learn? Of course I am not quite qualified to judge here, but to me Arabic and Mandarin look much, much harder.
There are, however, a lot of nasty little things which are going to disturb you even beyond C2, but aren't they present in any language?
Aaaand yeah, we're quite fond of free/pirate resources :D So there won't be a lack of material to look at, that is for sure.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4591 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 21 of 47
29 December 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Hello Nieng Zhonghan. Your log is very interesting, and I'm loving the Japanese you're
posting. I'm guessing you enjoy watching sumo? I was also guessing that you may be
Japanese by heritage but have lived in a foreign country, until you confirmed it :)

I'm sorry about the mugging and hope all is well.

I'm also doing Russian next to Japanese, but I don't consider myself more than a
beginner. I have attempted to learn it in the past few years, but then I fizzle and
stop. I guess I owe this to not really thinking about my learning style, the language
in question, and how I should approach it in a more motivating fashion. Hopefully I
plan to work on it more seriously this year.

Keep posting! It'll be interesting following your log this year!

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3465 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 

Message 22 of 47
31 December 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
@ Via Diva,

I tried to write ironically answering my Brazilian colleagues... For example, “In each
101 of 100 Brazilian people” doesn't make any sense. I know it is wrong, but it is due
to the fact that apparently some of my colleagues haven’t had a chance to learn
mathematics at school. :D

Although I do believe they are lazy people, I have to agree with them that Russian is
probably a difficult language for its grammar features. I mean, it is not the noun
case that makes a language necessarily difficult. For instance, learning Estonian was
less difficult than I thought because everything (syntax and morphology) seemed so
logical and it wasn't difficult from phonological point of view as well.

Tabasaran is a language that has 48 noun cases (some linguists will say 52 or even
53), but that’s just numbers. In practice, I am not afraid of languages that have many
noun cases.

There other reasons I would mention here: Church Slavonic inheritance and perhaps a
polished vernacular foundation for the literary language are certainly some of the
items that influenced modern Russian syntax. Of course, it is a matter of usage and
getting used to.

I won’t deny that all Russians from Moscow I have talked to (it wasn't just one or two
persons, but perhaps more than 50 or 60) said that Russian is the most difficult
language in the world. I even heard that from language geeks who have been learning
several languages aside from Indo-European family.

Mandarin’s tones are indeed something I need to learn how to deal with. I am not
afraid about the amount of ideograms, though. They actually make me feel better than
looking at the “messed Japanese system” (two alphabets and ideograms altogether). I
personally don’t like katakana because it takes me more time to decipher than looking
at the original word (let’s say most loan words nowadays come from English). It is
much easier to see how “birthday” written in English instead ofバースデイ. I am sorry I
am giving you a Japanese example (I assume you are not learning Japanese). But that is
the way how Japanese people pronounce “birthday”. When I heard that word many years
ago, I couldn't even imagine from the context I heard. Nowadays I am more used to how
Japanese people speak in English, so I can guess most of the words that come up, but
sometimes I feel like what the he** they are trying to say?!

By the way, Mandarin’s grammar doesn’t seem to be as difficult as Russian’s. Let's
see. I will try to improve my skills throughout the year and write some notes here.

@Woodsei,

In my childhood, I learned lots of specific Japanese terminology talking to my dad
about sumo, shogi and igo (I used to play shogi), Japanese history, literature and
traditional culture. Nowadays I am still fond of watching sumo whenever I have time.
Mongolians have been dominating sumo for over a decade and those who are in the top
division speak Japanese pretty well.

How about you? I guess you are Arabic (Egyptian) as heritage, but you were raised in
US. :)

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3465 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 

Message 23 of 47
31 December 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Setting goals for 2015: are they the only way to live the life of our dreams? I mean,
not specifically in terms of language learning or maintaining journey, but our life in
general?

Many people set goals, write them down somewhere, and think about them constantly.

No, I am not saying that goals are useless here. I think goals answers to this simple
question: “what will you do?” (in a specific period of time). Another important
question is “how are you going to achieve or do it?”. An answer to that question is
through a series of actions that you take in order to achieve a result. Perhaps we can
call it a process to simplify things here. More specifically, when it comes to
languages we should consider the methods, techniques and a variety of approaches in
order to achieve those goals we established. We should also consider other items such
as time management and some obstacles that might appear during the journey such as
procrastination, being temporarily tired and so on. Of course, everything is a matter
of a priority in our life.

I could simply say “No goals for 2015” and let it go. There is famous quote written by
老子: “A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving”.

I don’t think anyone is going to read this, but isn’t having any goals actually a
goal? Well, perhaps it is. Who cares whether it is a goal or not? I will maintain and
learn few languages and I will take the whole process as a simple journey. I will just
keep doing things passionately. That’s all.

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3465 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 

Message 24 of 47
31 December 2014 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
1.English

I need to improve my overall skills.

I don’t think most people here read other users’ logs randomly, but if anyone is
interested in tandem, let me know through private message. I can help you learning,
improving or even maintaining your Portuguese or Japanese; in exchange, I would like
to improve my English skills.

I can provide grammar explanation of everything in Portuguese (A1 to C2) and basic (A1
and A2) and intermediate (B1 and B2) topics for Japanese as well. We can discuss about
C1 and C2 topics as well, though I will probably be able to say only whether the
grammar structure is correct or not.

1.1 On reading

+I have been thinking lately about how to improve my English skills. Cavesa gave me
some good advice saying that I could read as many fiction and non-fiction books as
possible. As one of the feedbacks I received, I was relying on too much in newspapers
and magazines. However, I will continue reading news in English for personal and
professional purposes.

+I will try some audiobooks too if I find some books of my interest available for
free. L-R is an interesting technique that I should use more often next year.

1.2 On listening

+I will watch more sitcoms and perhaps some films in 2015. I won’t make any huge and
unrealistic list since my schedule isn’t regular. Listening to the same main casts
have improved my comprehension and speeded up my progress in 2014.

+Unfortunately there aren’t many songs in English that catch my attention. However, I
will try to ignore the meaning of lyrics and pick up some random songs.

1.3 On writing

I have checked Lang-8 website and sometimes I doubt about the quality of the
corrections made by native speakers, not only in English, of course, but in other
languages as well. Being a native speaker doesn’t mean that your corrections will be
punctually corrected. There are also many natives who don’t have a high literacy as
well. In the end, if you ask questions, most people don’t even reply you. So, let’s
say that my last text was corrected by 7 people. They all have pointed me out
different structures which sometimes cannot be accepted. It is a matter of logics: if
one correction is correct, the other one is incorrect and vice versa.

Lang-8 is not a reliable source for me, though some HTLALers have been using it. I
rather prefer trying some tandem with native, advanced and basic fluency speakers who
are learning either Portuguese or Japanese.

Another con is related to the length of the text. Most people don’t have time either
patience to correct long texts.

Here again, Cavesa has suggested me to write about anything and then, after a while, I
could check my own text by myself. I have already been using this technique so far and
it really works with me. At least, I can find many mistakes… I just need to write in a
regular basis.

1.4 On speaking

I will try some shadowing as I never get to speak to someone in real life. As I have
repeatedly stated until here, if there is anyone interested in improving or
maintaining either Portuguese or Japanese, we can establish some small tandem project.

1.5 Others

Books

I haven’t decided which books I will read in 2015. I am not going to count the amount
of pages, books or even time I needed to read. I will probably not write much about
the quantity, but randomly write a review or some comment about things I have been
reading or watching. I have many books and I will just pick up one that I feel like
reading at the moment.

2.Japanese

I am not going write here everything I am going to read or watch throughout the year.
I will just make some random notes just for personal purposes.

2.1 On reading

+小説、昔話、神話、童話。
+歴史、神道、仏教、キリスト教、イスラム 教。
+新聞(社会、国際、政治、ビジネス、スポ ーツ、科学・医療、文化・エンタメ)。
+その他:旅行、言語学(特に敬語について )。
+漢字 :

++常用漢字の音・訓を含めて、約6000字の 字
熟字訓、当て字
対義語、類義語、同音・同訓異字など
国字(怺える、毟る など)
地名・国名等の漢字表記(当て字の一種)
複数の漢字表記について(鹽―塩、颱風―台 風 など)

++四字熟語・故事・諺
典拠のある四字熟語、故事成語・諺

++古典的文章
古典的文章の中での漢字・漢語

2.2 On writing

+I have been writing quite a lot on a regular basis since August. I should continue
writing more. Here again I will use what Cavesa suggested me for improving my writing
in English. I will write some texts and read it again after a couple of days to find
eventual mistakes or try to rewrite in a better way.

+I have been discussing grammar topics with Japanese teachers. It makes me proofread
everything before I send them my thoughts and ideas.

2.3 Others

Handwriting

I think I will restart practicing some handwriting, though it is not my priority.

JLPT

I will perhaps take N1 in 2015 depending on my schedule. I must take it because I was
asked to.

I have been organizing my Anki decks for JLPT based mostly in So matome series. I will
take a look at JLPT N1 listening resources to feel the level of difficulty.

5 Wunderlust: German x Russian

5. 1. Well, considering my background, German seems to be less difficult than Russian
in terms of syntax, morphology, phonology and vocabulary.

5. 2. I am interested in language (folklore, literature, philosophy, and humor),
visual arts (painting, architecture), performance arts (folk dance and folk music),
lifestyle (cuisine, traditions, and holidays), sports (winter sports and football) or
both German and Russian speaking countries.

5. 3. I have some acquaintances who speak Russian as a native speaker. They are from
Belarus, Ukraine and Russia. It would be great for me to get some insight about
Russian and Russian culture from different perspectives. At the moment I don’t have
any German friend to exchange language with or ask some handy questions related to
fields of my interest.

5. 4. I think German neither Russian would be useful for at the moment and in the next
few years in terms of work.

5.5. I will have one to two hours to dedicate either German or Russian during my first
quarter of the year. I can split them into German and Russian or choose one of them.
Realistically speaking, I don’t think it will be a good idea to start with 4 languages
since I have to manage to study English, Chinese and Korean studies while maintaining
Japanese.

5. 6. I am addicted to alcoholic drink. Unfortunately I won’t get to learn and speak
some languages at basic fluency because of my alcohol-related problems. I would
organize a huge party if I reach 50 years old one day… I am kidding, but any alcoholic
drink from German and Russian speaking countries is always welcome.

Verdict:
I will start with German. Don't ask me why. I will try to burst during my first month
as I will have more time only during the first two months of the year. Then, my
progress will slow down significantly during the year.

Anyway, even though I am not going to learn Russian, for a future reference, I will
leave here some of the resources I took a look this week.

Russian

I took look at the following resources:

Courses

New Penguin Russian Course (1996)
http://learnrussian.rt.com/lessons/ I rate this one very highly, especially the voice
acting!
Hugo Russian in 3 Months
Assimil 2011
Princeton SLA101
Teach Yourself
Pimsleur
Glossika Russian
Keep talking Russian

Grammar
http://masterrussian.com Dip in and out as needed
http://russianlessons.net
http://conjugaterussianverbs.com/list-of-all-verbs/
Essential Russian Grammar - Brian Kemple (1993)

Reading

Podcasts
http://www.russianpod101.com Subscription-based, 90% English

Other

http://russiangram.com Web tool that adds stress marks to text
http://morpher.ru Declines those nouns for you
http://russian.lingualift.com/blog/best-russian-learning-res ources/ Bucket list

Russian Football

I was looking for websites to watch Russian football league.:D

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version