Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Is there any other program like Assimil?

Tags: Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4308 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 30
06 March 2014 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
BrianDeAlabama wrote:
I've been trying to find other programs whose audio was all in
the target language. Is Assimil the only company
that has enough sense to make such a program? I bought some Teach Yourself stuff and
man their audio selection
is extremely lacking compared to Assimil. I don't see how someone could develop an ear
for a language using
their program.

Every week I'm getting more & more persuaded that I will have to tackle French so I can
use Assimil's products to
dabble in many other languages.

What language(s) are you initially seeking to learn by the programs you are looking
for?

Quote:

Is Assimil the only company that has enough sense to make such a program?
[whose audio was all in the target language]

Well, there are pros and cons to this approach.

As you yourself point out, one has to know the base language in which the course is
written for it to make sense to you: French, or some are available in German (e.g.
Danish, which I have); are some also coming out in English now?

Anway, the fact that the audio is all in the target language means that (for a beginner
anyway) there has to be some base language somewhere to make the target language
meaningful for you, and for Assimil, this is a book. So you are switching between
reading and listening/speaking (which is one potential problem), and you are having to
use a base language which you might not be perfect in (which isn't necessarily all bad,
since it gives you practice in that language, but is it as optimal as if the base
language were your native language?).

I can't defend the audio on the TYS courses ... it's pretty disappointing in my recent
experience, but there are some other approaches which are potentially as useful as
Assimil.

Michel Thomas, of course.
Say Something in (Welsh, Dutch, Spanish, Cornish (not much there yet); other languages
hopefully coming.
You Speak German.

All of the above present you with a series of "challenges" in English, which you are
then given chance to produce in the target language, and you then hear a "correct"
version by an expert speaker (native speakers of each gender for SSiW; Native speaker
for listening practice only in YSG).

So for SSi, you hear twice as much native speaker TL as there is English, and there is
no need to switch from reading to listening/speaking; it's 100% audio.

I have a feeling Pimsleur is along similar lines, but I've never used a Pimsleur course
myself, so I don't know for sure.

I'm not knocking Assimil. It's pretty well respected around these parts, and praised by
none other than Professor Arguelles, but on the other hand, I don't think it's a
forgone conclusion that theirs is the best or only approach, and one to be followed by
other course-providers.

I am looking for Thai & Modern Hebrew material. I experimented by buying the TY Complete for Modern Hebrew &
Thai. I may try the FSI stuff for them too.

If the FSI audio (for Thai) is anything like the FSI Lao then it isn't all target language in the beginning. They spend
considerable time helping you learn to read the script which is needful. I didn't make it far enough into the
program to see if it transitioned to all target language. I hope it does.
1 person has voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4097 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 18 of 30
10 March 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
A little-known addition to this bilingual text and audio family of materials is this and
the others (Spanish, German) in the same series. You'll have to do some digging to find
more info. My copy of the french one is at home.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-CD-Intensive-Language-Course/ dp/3632988498

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 19 of 30
10 March 2014 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
A little-known addition to this bilingual text and audio family of
materials is this and
the others (Spanish, German) in the same series. You'll have to do some digging to find
more info. My copy of the french one is at home.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-CD-Intensive-Language-Course/ dp/3632988498

What is the level? A1/A2? One review said it was too basic.

Retinend
Triglot
Joined 4097 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 

Message 20 of 30
10 March 2014 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
I think it'd be a very good addition to Assmil since it's basically the same format. On
it's own, you could work with it extensively enough to get a good beginner's footing, or
you could use it as a supplement and cement your level after finishing an Assimil or
Linguaphone course. But it doesn't have the same breadth and depth and those.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 21 of 30
10 March 2014 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
I think it'd be a very good addition to Assmil since it's basically
the same format. On
it's own, you could work with it extensively enough to get a good beginner's footing, or
you could use it as a supplement and cement your level after finishing an Assimil or

I'm confused, if it doesnt have the same breadth and depth as Assimil, what would be
the point of doing it AFTER Assimil?

Should one do it before assimil?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 22 of 30
10 March 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
The Amazon link didn't work for me, but I just searched Amazon for French-CD-Intensive-
Language-Course and found them. These courses have been on sale for £5 at Lidl a couple
of times, and the Amazon price is still pretty low (around £10). What is the audio like?
Is it enjoyable to work on, or is it a chore? Is it all French, or is there a lot of
English instruction?

Also, I didn't see a review that said it was too basic. On the other hand, being a
beginner course, it would be pretty basic. All of the reviews were fairly positive (4 or
5 stars).

Edited by Jeffers on 10 March 2014 at 2:22pm

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 23 of 30
10 March 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
The beginner comment was for the German course :P
The reviewer was disappointed that it was lower than B1.

Retinend
Triglot
Joined 4097 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 

Message 24 of 30
10 March 2014 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Retinend wrote:
I think it'd be a very good addition to Assmil since
it's basically
the same format. On
it's own, you could work with it extensively enough to get a good beginner's footing,
or

I'm confused, if it doesnt have the same breadth and depth as Assimil, what would be
the point of doing it AFTER Assimil?

Should one do it before assimil?

Now I'm confused. I think it's necessary to work with Assimil until you know it inside
out (with the audio alone, too), and afterwards to study with other such books as well.
For example with German I studied Linguaphone then two generations of Assimil before I
graduated to studying non-learner material.

If the book is good, it'll graduate to challenging material without needing to be split
into different volumes. In the case of Assimil and Linguaphone and this series, this is
the case, so that if you finish an Assimil book you will still find challenging and
fresh material in the others. After you finish one book it's a case of collecting all
the common expressions you don't yet know and reinforcing the ones you do from the
others.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version