Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Is there any other program like Assimil?

Tags: Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4309 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 30
04 March 2014 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
I've been trying to find other programs whose audio was all in the target language. Is Assimil the only company
that has enough sense to make such a program? I bought some Teach Yourself stuff and man their audio selection
is extremely lacking compared to Assimil. I don't see how someone could develop an ear for a language using
their program.

Every week I'm getting more & more persuaded that I will have to tackle French so I can use Assimil's products to
dabble in many other languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4455 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 30
04 March 2014 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Espagnol Débutant, which I am using to learn Spanish, is much like Assimil: based mostly around 90 dialogues and the audio is entirely in the TL except for one minute of French introduction in the first track. The dialogues are generally not as long as Assimil's, though. As far as programs in English, though, I don't know of any similar ones.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 30
04 March 2014 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Linguaphone is reputed to be similar.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6492 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 4 of 30
04 March 2014 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
This is why Audacity is a popular program. It's a free audio editor that lets you cut out all of the non-target language material that's in your programs. It's a surprise sometimes how much or how little actual TL audio there is in some of these programs.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5355 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 30
04 March 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Looking at my collection - Linguaphone (but not the All Talk or PDQ series), Cortina,
BBC language courses prior to very recently and FSI.
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5052 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 30
04 March 2014 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
DLI Portuguese Basic Course has very little, I'd say less than 1%, English. I downloaded the French and Romanian courses too (maybe someday) and they have very little English as well, similar to the Portuguese course. Of course, these materials haven't been updated in 20-40 years.That's not an issue if you are following a multi-track approach. Still, I found the Portuguese course to be quite thorough and well organized with plenty of good, useful content and drills. Best of all, it's free! DLI (Defense Language Institute) Courses
4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6995 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 7 of 30
04 March 2014 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
pf_rd_p=471061593&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-
stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=2253084336&pf_rd_m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96 &pf_rd_r=0JZ9E47315CA0RG9Q24
2">Espagnol Débutant
, which I am using to learn Spanish, is much like Assimil: based mostly around 90
dialogues and the audio is entirely in the TL except for one minute of French introduction in the first track. The
dialogues are generally not as long as Assimil's, though. As far as programs in English, though, I don't know
of any similar ones.

it says there are 6 CDs. How is it the dialogues are shorter than Assimil and they have 2 more discs?
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5165 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 8 of 30
04 March 2014 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
The Living Language Ultimate series and Living Language Beyond the Basics series are very similar to Assimil... and very good programs. The audio is all in the target language. There are fairly lenghy dialogues and then a lot more grammar notes and exercises than Assimil. The Ultimate-Advanced Spanish course has about 1.3 hours of pure Spanish dialogues (plus a ton of vocabulary and additional CDs for "on the go") and the Beyond the Basics Spanish has slightly over 1 hour of dialogues. I never did the Ultimate-Beginner course.

Some of the advantages of these courses over Assimil for Spanish are the more in depth grammar notes and exercises. Also, the quality of the audio and the speakers is noticeably better. It sounds like you are listening to professional voice actors. Also, if you prefer Latin American Spanish this is a perfect Assimil alternative. I note, however, that while the dialogues are very practical they are definitely not as interesting, fun or funny as Assimil's dialogues.

You can pick up the Living Language series for almost nothing in the US and they are widely available in libraries.

Edit: also be careful to make sure you are not buying one of Living Languages inferior courses. They recently have re-done all their offerings and I understand they are not nearly as good as the older ones.

Edited by James29 on 04 March 2014 at 1:55pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version