27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4325 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 1 of 27
17 December 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
J'en ai marre de devoir en Francais et je dois apprendre 2500 mots en Francais pour ma examen en 5 mois et je
trouve difficile apprendre 2500 paroles. (Should) j'essaie apprendre dans mémorisation par cœur?

English: I'm sick of having to do French homework and I have to learn 2500 words in French within the next 5
months and I find it difficult to learn 2,500 words. (Should) I try to learn by rote memorisation in this short
amount of time, is it possible?

Pardon, man Francais est affreuse!

Edited by EnglishEagle on 19 December 2013 at 11:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4759 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 27
17 December 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Sure, why not. I learned a similar amount of words by drilling in anki in a weekend (I was very motivated and it was terminology, so a lot of those words were similar to Latin). However, it is a painful way. If you have the five months, than 5-10 minutes of anki every day should work miraculously for you.

But you have probably got another problem. And that is the motivation. I think you will have much easier time learning the vocabulary, no matter how, if you find some uses for it. Such as books or movies or a journey to France during next summer or anything!

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4325 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 

Message 3 of 27
17 December 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Sure, why not. I learned a similar amount of words by drilling in anki in a weekend (I was very
motivated and it was terminology, so a lot of those words were similar to Latin). However, it is a painful way. If you
have the five months, than 5-10 minutes of anki every day should work miraculously for you.

But you have probably got another problem. And that is the motivation. I think you will have much easier time
learning the vocabulary, no matter how, if you find some uses for it. Such as books or movies or a journey to France
during next summer or anything!

Thankyou, it's recommended vocabulary for my exam in a few months and I'm very motivated to do well in it.
Although it is vocabulary to do somewhat random topics and features words like 'blouson' or 'congélateur' or 'rhume
des foins' so using the words in the an appropriate situation would be quite hard. Thanks for the reply!

Side note: ooops, just realised I was using 'moi' incorrectly...

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5282 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 27
18 December 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
2,500 mots en six mois ? Ce n'est pas impossible, mais il faudra travailler un peu.

Vous avez trois choix:

1. Les « word lists » d'Iversen.
2. La méthode de Goldlist.
3. Anki.

Moi, je préfère Anki. J'utilise Anki sur mon ordinateur et AnkiDroid sur mon téléphone. Je peux apprendre entre 10 et 15 mots par jour sans problème. Mais je préfère avoir du contexte pour les mots. Sans ça, je trouve que je suis confus par les mots qui sont trop similaires.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 4940 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 27
18 December 2013 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
If your goal is to be good at seemingly arbitrary word lists, go ahead and learn the words in isolation.

But if you actually want to learn French, I would say forget about the word list given by your teacher and
concentrate on listening and reading with a translation, e.g with Gloss, lingq or yabla.

It will be better for you in the long term.

Edited by Andrew C on 18 December 2013 at 2:44am

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4325 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 

Message 6 of 27
18 December 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Thankyou everyone. See the thing is, I need to be able to recognise the words for my exam. We've been
given a list of vocabulary that our exams are based on (if that make sense). We get given several passages of
text in French and have to have to answer questions in English based on the text we have just read. So I really need
to learn the vocabulary because I know that a lot of the words in the passages we get given are featured in
the word list, if that makes sense?

Edited by EnglishEagle on 18 December 2013 at 7:58pm

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 4940 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 27
18 December 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Yes, it makes sense. However, as you are being tested on a text, and not a list of words, it makes it all the
more important to learn from texts, because this requires different skills to learning words. If you know the
general topics likely to come up, you could look for texts/audio on these subjects online. If you are worried
about the word list, you could read/ listen to a text and then gradually tick off the words from the list. Unless
your words are really obscure -in which case why learn them? - there should be considerable overlap.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 27
18 December 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Je vois que emk vient de mentionner deux types de listes de mots plus les cartes Anki, et que Andrew C a rejeté ces techniques d'une façon assez sommaire (ou même hautaine) avec la phrase "If your goal is to be good at seemingly arbitrary word lists, go ahead and learn the words in isolation.". Mais ceci reste sur une conception fausse, à savoir celle que les listes de mots et collections de mots d'Anki consistent nécessairement de mots choisi par hasard, peut-être même par un professeur ou livre quelconque.

Si je fais des listes de mots ces mots viennent dans la majorité écrasante des cas des textes que je lis pour le moment, et je travaille avec les listes pour figer les mots dans ma mémoire ici maintenant à lieu de me fier à des rencontres fortuites dans un futur incertain. Bien sûr je fais aussi des listes basées directement sur un dictionaire, mais j'ai expressément dit que ceci est une activité à laquelle on peut se dédier quand on a déjà acquiert un vocabulaire considérable, et dans ce cas l'ordre alphabétique et les références à d'autres mots déjà connus jouent le rôle de contexte.

Si EnglishEagle doit apprendre un grand nombre de mots dans un éspace de temps assez restreint mon conseil serait donc de lire lire lire (et écouter écouter écouter) tant que possible, mais aussi de se soucier de ne pas perdre les mots nouveaux qui apparaissent au cours de ces activités - et en pratique cela veut dire: utiliser une ou plusieurs des techniques de mémorisation.

Comme M. Érard l'a découvert, même le brillant Cardinal Mezzofanti utilisait sécretement la technique des cartes 'flash'!

PS: je vois maintenant que EnglishEagle a en effet reçu une liste spécifique avec des mots à apprendre de son prof, et cela change effectivement le jeu. Sans connaitre les textes il ne reste guère d'autre chose à faire que de utiliser une technique formelle de mémorisation. Mais il convient de mettre en garde contre la simple mémorisation brute (horse cheval, horse cheval... ou cheval cheval cheval...). C'est la méthode moins efficace qui soit.

Edited by Iversen on 19 December 2013 at 9:54am

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version