Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 9 of 27
18 December 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Vous avez trois choix:

1. Les « word lists » d'Iversen.
2. La méthode de Goldlist.
3. Anki.

Si c'est du vocabulaire de base, il y a peut-être une quatrième solution: apprendre les mots avec des cartes sans espacement automatique, ou à partir de listes simples, mais en complétant immédiatement l'apprentissage par de la lecture cursive/extensive d'un niveau adéquat et en grande quantité. Ou des podcasts. Ou des émissions de télé. S'il s'agit d'un vocabulaire simple, les mots à apprendre vont apparaître et réapparaître sans cesse, ce qui équivaut à du SRS, mais en plus amusant - puisque, apparemment, la motivation fait un peu défaut :-)

[If you have to learn basic French vocab, you may also learn words from simple flashcards (no SRS) and start reading/watching/listening to a lot of simple French. The same basic words will pop up everywhere, which is a form of SRS that you may find more enjoyable]

1 person has voted this message useful

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5830 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 10 of 27
18 December 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Je te donne en conseil ce qui a marché pour moi avec le chinois:

Pour les premiers 1000 mots, fais du "rote memorization", avec Anki etc. Pour le reste,
lis tout ce que tu peux avant ton examen, lis, lis, lis, toutes les jours, plusieurs
heures par jour.

Après les 1000 mots tu tombes sur des trucs très spécifiques, où ce n'est pas la peine
de les apprendre hors contexte. Après il faut beaucoup de lecture pour voir dans le
contexte quand on utilise "parole" ou "mot" pour vouloir dire "word", par exemple ;).

Bon courage!

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5830 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 11 of 27
18 December 2013 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
lorinth wrote:
Quote:
Vous avez trois choix:

1. Les « word lists » d'Iversen.
2. La méthode de Goldlist.
3. Anki.

S'il s'agit d'un vocabulaire simple, les mots à apprendre vont apparaître et
réapparaître sans cesse, ce qui équivaut à du SRS, mais en plus amusant - puisque,
apparemment, la motivation fait un peu défaut :-)

C'est pas amusant de regarder deux sur trois mots dans un dictionnaire.
Mais en effet à partir d'un certain niveau, les SRS sont inutiles.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4438 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 12 of 27
18 December 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
EnglishEagle, if you're still here, are you following all this? I see that even though
the OP's profile indicates that the OP "speaks French," the overall level is described as
"Beginner."

As another practical matter, as maurelio1234 points out, the total amount of French
already mastered may be decisive in determining the appropriate strategy for progressing
from here.

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4325 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 13 of 27
18 December 2013 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
 EnglishEagle, if you're still here, are you following all this? I see that even though
the OP's profile indicates that the OP "speaks French," the overall level is described as
"Beginner."

As another practical matter, as maurelio1234 points out, the total amount of French
already mastered may be decisive in determining the appropriate strategy for progressing
from here.

Luckily I can understand and figure out meanings of some words/sentences, but I've resorted to Google Translate to
try and understand (as the French used in this thread was far too complex).

Also, it's not really simple vocabulary, some of it is quite a pain to remember such as 'assiette anglaise' is on the
word list and probably wouldn't come up in a book/magazine I would read.

I don't really know where to put my French level, as I've never actually had to use my French in conversation with
someone. I would say my passive is obviously much greater than my active vocabulary, my active would probably be
around a high A1 level.

There are 5 main topic areas that we look at during the school year and we have to learn the vocabulary in that topic
as well as a bunch of infinitives like 'to hoover' and be able to understand when they are used in different forms (if
that makes sense). I hoover, she used to hoover, she doesn't like to hoover etc etc

So what I have established for Iversens post is to try and find the words (in the word list given to me) in context? So
for example if my word is 'os' then read something with the word 'os' used in context? Sorry, its quite hard to
understand as the French used is quite complex for my level of understanding (so I had to use trusty old Google
Translate).

Edit: I'm not actually looking to acquire general vocabulary but vocabulary that has been given to us. Unfortunately
without knowing a vast amount of these words I won't fully understand the exam at the end of year and get a poor
mark. My teacher informed me that about 90% of the sentences in the exam will feature unfamiliar words that we
wouldn't normally know unless we have looked at them on the word list.

Sorry if this doesn't really make sense, I'm currently trying to finish my homework for maths so I'm typing very
quickly without re reading what I write.

Edited by EnglishEagle on 18 December 2013 at 7:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4438 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 14 of 27
18 December 2013 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
On behalf of us all, sorry about the confusion! (I think the natural reaction was to
reply in the language of the original post--and hilarity ensues.) We'll make sure you get
some advice you can understand. I wouldn't be surprised if some people come back in a
little while and post again now that that's cleared up. Either way, if you have any
specific questions or posts that are giving you particular trouble or seem like they may
be most useful for you, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to explain/translate whenever
I get a moment.

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4325 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 15 of 27
18 December 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
On behalf of us all, sorry about the confusion! (I think the natural reaction was to
reply in the language of the original post--and hilarity ensues.) We'll make sure you get
some advice you can understand. I wouldn't be surprised if some people come back in a
little while and post again now that that's cleared up. Either way, if you have any
specific questions or posts that are giving you particular trouble or seem like they may
be most useful for you, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to explain/translate whenever
I get a moment.

Don't worry hehe I expected that if someone replied it would naturally be in French. Thank you so much GeoffW for
your offer and to everyone else who replied too.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 27
19 December 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
I may have caused some of the confusion and wasted some of EnglishEagle's scarce time by writing in French - sorry about that. But the essence of it was that wordlists can be based on material you have met while reading or listening (though not in your situation, where a teacher has thrown a readymade list on your table), and that both wordlists and Anki etc. can be done in different ways, but the worst by a wide margin is rote memorization of the type where you just repeat words with or without translations until you fall asleep.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version