Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 129 of 266
28 January 2014 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, but i (think i) have a pretty good idea what 还用说 means. The trouble i'm having is using 还 in other situations, like in 还不早来了 or 还做让步.

I don't think it really is a reference to something being inappropriate, though perhaps someone might say 你还要说 (with 要). I'm pretty sure 还用说 is used to say that something's obvious to the point of not needing to be stated (Do I really need to say it?). I can't make sense of the other phrases, though.

It's interesting to hear there's a similar phrase in Khmer, though!
1 person has voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4317 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 130 of 266
29 January 2014 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Thanks, but i (think i) have a pretty good idea what 还用说 means. The trouble i'm having is using
还 in other situations, like in 还不早来了 or 还做让步.

I don't think it really is a reference to something being inappropriate, though perhaps someone might say 你还要说
(with 要). I'm pretty sure 还用说 is used to say that something's obvious to the point of not needing to be stated (Do I
really need to say it?). I can't make sense of the other phrases, though.

It's interesting to hear there's a similar phrase in Khmer, though!

Haha you know I just realized I misread your post! I read it as 那不用说 instead of 那还用说! My bad! Now I
understand your post much better, I was trying to figure out how the examples from your textbook were related
because I had misread the initial phrase!

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4153 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 131 of 266
31 January 2014 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi team! I've been rather absent this month but I finished my last exam of the month yesterday, so this is when I've finally got around to it. I also need to visit everyone's logs. That will happen.

大家好!我中文的名字是月如,我是英国人。 我二十二岁,我现在在诺丁汉学习汉语和德语 。我今年毕业,毕业以后我有很多打算,可是 我不知道我究竟做什么。我希望我可以做硕士 学位,可是我也要去旅行。我去年住在北京, 我的汉语的水平提高多了。我要回去中国,可 是现在我没有钱。我希望以后我可以回去。

今天是新年,今年是马年。新年快乐!

Hi everyone! My Chinese name is Yueru (my English name is Charlotte) and I'm from the UK. I'm 22 and currently a student in Nottingham - I study Chinese and German. I'm going to graduate this year and after I graduate, I have a lot of plans, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do. I hope to do my master's degree, but I also want to go travelling. Last year I lived in Beijing and my Chinese improved a lot. I do want to go back to China, but I've got no money to do that right now. I hope that I'll go back in the future.

Of course as most of you probably know, today is Chinese New Year and this year is the year of the horse. Happy New Year, my fellow 鹊们! ;)

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4146 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 132 of 266
31 January 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
我寫這份現在, 因為我要了學習更多的詞。 那個, 我叫Maciej, 十八才, 有自閉症的一種。 我
錯和我的語彙是少。 今年我要換這個問題。 也許現在我使用其他的方法, 於是進行可能是好。
I'm writing this only now, because I wanted to study some more vocabulary first. Well, I'm Maciej,
18 years old, I have Asperger's Syndrome. I make mistakes and my vocabulary is low. I want to
change this this year. I'm studying differently now, so perhaps I'll make some better progress.

Wow, even the translation didn't sound very natural, I can't imagine how bad the Chinese
counterpart was. I didn't know the word for AS, so I typed "a kind of Autism", and I only was able to
recall 閉 and 種's Japanese pronunciation first.

Good luck the remaining eleven months everybody.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 133 of 266
31 January 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
A trick i use for finding really specific words and knowing they're what i'm looking for is looking up the Wikipedia article in English (or Spanish or French or any other language the word you want to translate is in) and then look at the list of other languages the article has been translated into on the left. Wikipedia says that Asperger's is "亞斯伯格症候群 (阿斯伯格综合征)" in Chinese. A1/Ya4 Si1 Bo2 Ge2 being the Chinese transliteration of Asperger's, Zheng4 Hou4 Qun2 meaning "syndrome".

Edited by Crush on 31 January 2014 at 11:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4429 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 134 of 266
01 February 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
大家好! 我知道我来了有点晚可是上个月我是 真的忙了!所以我现在要写我的介绍。 我的法 语
的名字是 Mathias。 还没有一个中文的名字。 我是学商业, 可是这个年我是做一个间隔年。 我
刚完了我的第一个实习。 快到我会去上海做我的第二个实习! 可是因为受到签证是真难我需要开
始我的实习在巴黎。 我觉得我在三月的月底可能去。 因为我快去上海, 我需要提 高得快!
我也学日语和韩语可是最近我只学中文。 我开始了中文已经一个年半前 可是我还不可以说得好。
但我觉得因为我的日语比较好, 我可以看懂的差不多多。 当然我的发音不好。 这就是因为我跟中
国人练习不够了。 不知道为什么可是尽管通常我期 望跟他人用外文说话, 用中文我就变紧张
了! 我希望今年我 可以提高得够以便在十二月我可以觉得 “我已 经可以说中文说得好!”

大家,我们今年一起提高得多吧!加油!

啊!新年快乐!! 你们为新年做了什么特别的吗?

我也喜欢问,这个月,我们的挑战是什么?

Hello Everybody! I know I'm coming a bit late but last month was pretty busy! So I'm
going to write now my self-introduction. My french name is Mathias. I still don't have
a chinese name. I'm studying Business but this year I'm taking a gap year. I just
finished my first internship. (And) I'm going to Shanghai for my second internship
soon! But because getting a visa is really difficult to go to China, I will start my
internship in Paris. I think I'll be able to go at the end of March (maximum). Since
I'm leaving soon for Shanghai, I need to improve as fast as possible!
I'm also studying Japanese and Korean but lately I've only studied Chinese. It's
already been a year and a half since I started Chinese but I still can't speak it well.
But I think that since I speak ((much!)) better Japanese, I can understand quite a lot
of what I read.Of course my pronunciation is not good. This is just because I haven't
practiced enough with Chinese people yet. I don't know why but although normally I look
forward to talk in foreign languages but when I use chinese I become really stressed!
This year I hope I can improve enough so that in December I can think "I can finally
speak Chinese well!"

Everybody, let's improve a lot together this year! Good luck!

Ah! Happy New Year! Did you guys do anything special for the (chinese) new year?

I'd also like to ask, what's our challenge for this month?

Edit: Put a few spaces (thanks Crush! I had tried with Japanese, but most of the time
it just ended up moving this to another place.. Maybe my sentences are too long in
Japanese ^^)

Edited by yuhakko on 01 February 2014 at 8:07pm

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4429 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 135 of 266
01 February 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I hate this forum... after editing 3 times, there's a new place where a few characters
disappeared. To avoid making it worse, here's what was written : 还没有一个中文的名字。

Edit: Forget this, it's now been solved thanks to Crush!

Edited by yuhakko on 01 February 2014 at 8:08pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 136 of 266
01 February 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
I'd also like to ask, what's our challenge for this month?

Flarioca wrote:
Sunja wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas for a February challenge?

I'd suggest that each of us choose a character and explain why do you like/dislike/hate/love it. Etymology, pictures, funny stories or histories about them would be nice to read as well.

This seems easy for beginners like me, but advanced students could also find it interesting.

What do you think? Does this sound good to everybody? I would have a hard time picking a character. There's so many that I like!

Edited by Sunja on 01 February 2014 at 6:35pm

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version