Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
85 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 10 11 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 33 of 85
24 June 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Novi Sad will be quite different - a Polyglot Conference rather than a Polyglot
Gathering, so a lot more formal. Richard just wrote about it:

http://polyglotconference.com/2014/06/21/bye-bye-berlin-hell o-novi-sad/
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 34 of 85
08 July 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Here is a lot of blog posts, photos and videos from the Gathering:

http://polyglotberlin.com/2014/?page_id=435
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 85
23 July 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
I wrote the following rant about Berlin 2014 at Polydog's place, but thought it might be relevant here too:

The most interesting lectures on the conference were in my opinion those where speakers or learners of less common languages or dialects talked in and about these languages and dialects - like A.Senoner who spoke in Swedish about his native Ladino, Dani Meizner who spoke about (and in) a Tyrolian variant of Bavarian, Ed Robertson with his delightful Scots accent and even more delightful whisky cakes, Rawlings with his lecture about Afrikaans, dr. Popkins with a partly sociological lecture about Welsh and "David" from Sweden who improvised a five minute speed talk in impressively clear and beautiful Latin. Actually one of my biggest grievances is that I had underestimated my need for Esperanto and totally neglected to refresh my Latin (to the degree that I didn't even bring along a dictionary).

On the more technical side I didn't learn much - for instance there is a lot of interesting research going on in neurolinguistics, but it turned out to be impossible for Eryk Walczak to describe it at a detailed level with an audience who had widely differing levels of knowledge about the subject. I only heard the second half of Tesco's lecture series about phonetics, but I was really impressed both with his knowledge and his ability to switch languages almost in the middle of a sentence. From the other side of the Atlantic I would like to mention Ellen Jovin, who described ways to make a living out of your language skills in almost glowing tones - and made me very happy that I don't have to participate in such a rat race. My own lecture "How to survive grammar" went well and was well received, but I was slightly puzzled to see it described afterwards as advice directed purely to beginners - I do think that it pays even for advanced learners to think about the order in which you learn things and how you make them easier to memorize. And there weren't many other lectures specifically about learning techniques - except maybe professor Nowaks lecture about the use of etymology, which I unfortunately couldn't witness because I was busy learning about Ladino.

After Budapest I made a video (with too low sound level, sorry about that), but this time with three times as many lectures and several times more interaction one video wouldn't be enough - and the result was that I didn't make any video about the event in Berlin. But at least there is an interview with Chris Broholm to refer to, where I got the chance to expound the idiosyncratic side of my language learning.

And then I noticed that there are plans about a similar event in Berlin next year. I'll try to include it in my travel plans.

Edited by Iversen on 23 July 2014 at 11:31am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 36 of 85
24 July 2014 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for cross-posting. I closely follow what people write about this Polyglot
Gathering in order to figure out how to make the next conference better.

Iversen wrote:
My own lecture "How to survive grammar" went well and was well received,
but I was slightly puzzled to see it described afterwards as advice directed purely to
beginners - I do think that it pays even for advanced learners to think about the order
in which you learn things and how you make them easier to memorize.

I think I may have been guilty of that. What I meant was that it's advice for the
beginning stages of learning a language.

Hope you can come next year! The key dates are May 1st to 4th.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6655 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 37 of 85
24 July 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
next year! The key dates are May 1st to 4th.

Dates and corresponding funding duly earmarked.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 85
03 December 2014 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

Registration for the second Polyglot Gathering in Berlin 2015 is now open:

Registration Polyglot Gathering in Berlin 2015

On this website you can also find a list of the upcoming participants, who have already registered.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 03 December 2014 at 10:00pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 85
04 December 2014 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
There are already 104 participants on the list, so if you want to participate it's not advisable to wait too long to register

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 85
05 December 2014 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Registered! Hope to see you all there!

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version