20 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 20
26 April 2013 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
tarvos wrote:

In Dutch the formal is used less and less

Except in Belgium, where formal and informal are reversed:

dank je wel (formal)
dank u wel (informal)

In colloquial Belgian Dutch, people prefer gij, uw, u
to forms imported from Holland (which are used only in formal written Belgian Dutch).

I know (I mentioned the Belgian rules differ in my post). And I've spent several years
in Belgium and some of my friends are Belgians, I know that it works differently there.   
And in Brabant especially, gij/u are also used. But in standard Dutch from the
Netherlands (which is the most common standard), these are the rules.

Furthermore ge/gij/uw is a dialectal form (apart from using Gij in a Biblical text).
Dialectal forms are many in Dutch and how people use forms in Belgium (and in many
parts of the Netherlands) differs greatly. In Limburg they use du.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 20
26 April 2013 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Mark, I see your point. There are situations when it takes more thinking and sometimes it
is a bit awkward. But I still thing the existence of the distinction brings us more
advantages than troubles.

FELlX
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4565 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 19 of 20
26 April 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:

Edit: I've been living in France for over five years now, but I am still sometimes puzzled by the intricacies of the politeness codes in this country. Any natives may bring more clarification.

It is generally difficult to know when to call somebody "tu" after you have been calling them "vous" for a while. As far as I am concerned, I prefer to stick to a particular pronoun for each person I get to talk to. If there is a total stranger whom I know will have to collaborate with me for a while, I will directly call them "tu" and I expect the same from them. If I am to meet someone I do not know anything about, I'll use "vous". However when somebody switches from "vous" to "tu" I do the same.

Also, when somebody unexpectedly calls me with the informal pronoun, I do not take offense at it but I do feel the need to keep away from that person, it makes me feel like they're trying to get too close to me.

Edited by FELlX on 26 April 2013 at 2:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4049 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 20 of 20
29 April 2013 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Today I learned in Italian there's no winning! I used lei with the woman I will be working for, and she
told me; 'no, use tu! I'm not that old!' She then went on to say that tu is widely accepted. I'm assuming
that's true at least in the south where she's from, I can't say much for the north.

Just for a point of reference for us Italian learners.

Edited by vogue on 29 April 2013 at 12:40pm

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version