Triglot
United States
Joined 4049 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 9 of 20
25 April 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
In Spain, at least in my experience, tu is almost always used. I have never actually heard anyone in Spain use usted, but I've never been in a formal business setting in Madrid either. Strangers on the street used 'tu' with me. Interestingly, In Honduras it was the opposite. The 'tu' form was considered quite rare. I was a teacher, and even then it was not considered the norm to use 'tu' with our students. Tu seemed to be reserved for family only, and even with the young kids on the street we used 'usted.' This had been super confusing for me, because while I had been living in Spain I always used tu. Now, I almost always use usted.

I don't have experience with French, but from my limited experience, my peers told me to use "tu" not "vous" right away. They actually chuckled at me using "vous" and told me I sounded too formal and a little silly.

Likewise, I don't have much experience with Italian, but when I used the formal form, even with peers and friends while in Palermo, no one corrected me. This may however be because they know I'm still learning the language, and their tolerance for me was quite high.

I feel, in general, there's a little more leeway for foreigners on these matters, but I'd always lean towards the formal if you're unsure. Believe me, people will tell you if you sound silly!

Edited by vogue on 25 April 2013 at 12:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4430 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 10 of 20
25 April 2013 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
I spent two weeks in Italy last summer and was surprised (being French) to hear that the formal "Lei" is hardly
ever used, except in shops and restaurants. A total stranger tripped on my foot and said "scusi", not "scusa".

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4049 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 11 of 20
25 April 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
agantik wrote:
I spent two weeks in Italy last summer and was surprised (being French) to hear that the formal "Lei" is hardly
ever used, except in shops and restaurants. A total stranger tripped on my foot and said "scusi", not "scusa".

I could be wrong, but I believe scusi IS the formal. So this would be consistent with "formal with strangers."

Edit: I should clarify, the formal in this case because it's an imperative when the conjugation is "flipped" if you will.

Edited by vogue on 25 April 2013 at 2:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4430 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 12 of 20
25 April 2013 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
@ vogue : grazie, mi sono sbagliata!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 13 of 20
25 April 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

Mark, why do you think it complicates life?

First, you need to think what to use. Second, I don't always know how I should be
adressed.
I wonder why English abandonned the singular form thou in favor of the plural dative form
you.

Edited by Марк on 25 April 2013 at 7:19pm

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4531 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 20
25 April 2013 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Not to belittle the challenges in the above mentioned language, but in Japanese there are
multiple words for "I," multiple levels of "-san" applied after a person's name, multiple
pronouns for "you" (the most commonly taught of which, anata, is basically never
used), passive used as honorific, entirely separate honorific forms, receiving forms,
causative-receiving forms, and a dozen other things I'm not thinking of right now, all of
which are affected by age, status, gender, relationship to the conversation partner,
personality, who else is listening, and whether the speaker is in the real world or in a
pirate comic book.

Luckily expectations are low for foreign speakers.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4463 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 15 of 20
25 April 2013 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

In Dutch the formal is used less and less

Except in Belgium, where formal and informal are reversed:

dank je wel (formal)
dank u wel (informal)

In colloquial Belgian Dutch, people prefer gij, uw, u
to forms imported from Holland (which are used only in formal written Belgian Dutch).

Edited by Medulin on 25 April 2013 at 9:29pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5259 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 16 of 20
25 April 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
osoymar wrote:
Not to belittle the challenges in the above mentioned language, but in
Japanese there are
multiple words for "I," multiple levels of "-san" applied after a person's name,
multiple
pronouns for "you" (the most commonly taught of which, anata, is basically never
used), passive used as honorific, entirely separate honorific forms, receiving forms,
causative-receiving forms, and a dozen other things I'm not thinking of right now, all
of
which are affected by age, status, gender, relationship to the conversation partner,
personality, who else is listening, and whether the speaker is in the real world or in
a
pirate comic book.

Luckily expectations are low for foreign speakers.

Yes, all of this is true, and another big difference in Japanese is that the
progression from formal to casual language that happens with vous/tu, Sie/du etc.
happens much less frequently, if at all. The kind of language you use is determined
mostly by age and status, not by how friendly you are with each other, so there rarely
comes a point where someone says "let's stop using "desu" now". This applies even to
kids, who are supposed to address kids in the year above them at school using polite
forms.

This means that, in general, relationships in Japan are "vertical" rather than
"horizontal". It also leads to the concept of "amae", where the person of lower status
in a relationship acts the role of the wide-eyed innocent while the person with higher
status takes on the role of the wise but benevolent teacher.

It is possible to have deep lifelong friendships in Japan without ever switching to
casual Japanese, but this linguistic and cultural rigidity does I think also create a
society in which individuals feel isolated, unable to relate to others, and unable to
express their feelings. It is possibly also the reason why Japanese society tends to
appear so "childish" to western observers.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version