Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

zu verrückt für euch/Rätsel|Adv|En TAC’15

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
812 messages over 102 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 73 ... 101 102 Next >>
Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3873 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 577 of 812
22 September 2014 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Ms Diva, why bother with cursive writing?

I never learned it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4025 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 578 of 812
23 September 2014 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
Through Russian I am used to that and I find it faster and somewhat
better-looking than common block letters. Well, my cursive might be
horrible, but it's a must for us when it comes to Russian, there's no
way to avoid learning it. I was curious if English or German cursive
would matter, and to me it actually does, considering that most of the
time I choose to write in it :)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4025 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 579 of 812
24 September 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Languages activity: watching Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! in Japanese with Russian subtitles.
No, I am not going to learn Japanese.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4498 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 580 of 812
24 September 2014 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Ms Diva, why bother with cursive writing?

I never learned it.

In Europe cursive writing is mandatory at schools. Every handwritten note is cursive.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4025 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 581 of 812
25 September 2014 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
It was a boring psychology lecture and I just had to write something after I was asked "Are you writing a poem?".

nichts has a crossed s because my fellow student thinks it's a mistake. It was hard to argue after a long day so I just didn't pay attention.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4312 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 582 of 812
25 September 2014 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:

nichts has a crossed s because my fellow student thinks it's a mistake. It
was hard to argue after a long day so I just didn't pay attention.

both "nicht" and "nichts" would work here

As to mistakes:
second section, second sentence: er --> ihn
last section, second sentence: sieht --> sehen (or did you mean "alles"? then I would use
"scheint" as the verb)

Edited by daegga on 25 September 2014 at 4:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4025 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 583 of 812
02 October 2014 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
I think alles scheint would really work better. Details just get forgotten without practice, sadly...
- music (as usual)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4025 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 584 of 812
03 October 2014 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I was busy with the socionics stuff today. Having seen an old e-mail (about 2 years old) I have decided to take the test again. I was INTP (Balzac) back then and about two years later it remained the same with some changes in percentage:

However, I see some vital discrepancies in this result, and I have remembered about some discussions here. Does your character depend on a language you're thinking in? So I took an extended test, and here are the results. So my INTP gets changed to INFJ, from Balzak to Dostoevsky. At the very first moment I have found this rather amusing (not just because my uni is named after him and such stuff), but just for the very fact of me getting rather different result. I don't even have INTP in other possible results there, I could just as well be Dreiser (and I was trying - not without some sort of success, I believe, - to write in his style even before I was out in the internets) .
But I also find INFJ's description to fit me way better than that of INTP. However, the tests were rather different, and I had some language and understanding the principle of the answering troubles, so maybe I shouldn't be so revolved around all these things.

As for languages... While waiting for Dream Theater's "Breaking the Fourth Wall" to download, I turned on The Hollow Crown. I had only Russian subtitles, but I gave up soon and found English ones.
I have never read Shakespeare in English before (sort of), also hadn't read much in Russian, so everything was so frrrreaking new, you just wouldn't understand it. I also happened not to know about Richard II's fate (and I want no spoilers about Henry IV too), so I got a triller instead of a dull "read in school" play. Needless to say, I couldn't possibly get all the 100% even with subs.
But what stroke me yesterday and will continue to do so sometime later, when I continue watching, is Old English. I appreciate the idea of easy communication, but whoever hath her wish, thou hast thy will... I know that things tend to be simple with the ages passing by, but losing thou does not look like a good simplification to me, it's more like getting literally poorer.
I am just curious how far will I go with it. Will I read Shakespeare, and when, if I will? Will I study some Old English just for its beauty? Will I get so insane, that will attempt to write in it.

Seriously, when I was trying to fall asleep yesterday I have imagined how great it would be to write a play about Mary Stuart - and in Old English, anything else would be boring. However, as I am keen to base it on Zweig's novel, I also need a lot of French. So this is not so serious after all. But I am dreamy enough to keep on thinking.

This discussion contains 812 messages over 102 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version