Triglot
Poland
Joined 4459 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 185 of 225
12 March 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Can I resurrect my German skills using your resources? German would probably be a side addition to my Arabic log...
1 person has voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4681 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 186 of 225
12 March 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
suzukaze wrote:
stifa wrote:
Hey...almost all words I look up on Duden has 1 or 2
stars. :p

That's what happened to me today when I looked up words from some texts by Deutsche
Welle I was translating XD

Still on the topic of frequency: another dictionary that indicates frequency (and the
one I normally use) is dict.cc. It has English <> German and
many other languages.

Translating German must be hell... so many long sentences. :p
I never translate, so I don't know...

Also, I simply don't care about frequency...if the word shows up, I study it. :)

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4410 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 187 of 225
12 March 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
Translating German must be hell... so many long sentences. :p
I never translate, so I don't know...

Also, I simply don't care about frequency...if the word shows up, I study it. :)

I like translating, I'm actually training to become a linguistic translator XD but yes, translating in general is hard. Many people think that as long as you know two languages translation comes easy, but the reality is quite different. My difficulty in translating from German comes from my limited vocabulary, but as far as sentence length goes...well we tend to use pretty long sentences in Italian, probably even longer than German :/

I usually use frequency as an indication: one of my aim with German is to expand my vocabulary so I tend to give priority to those words/expressions I'm likely to come across or use more often.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4430 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 188 of 225
18 March 2013 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
Question about corrections:

When you receive corrections on a text you have written or in your speaking, what do you do with them? Do you just note them (mentally or in a notebook), do review exercises, enter into Anki, or ??? Many of us are fortunate to have native speakers (such as our Godfather, for one example) share their knowledge with us via this forum, skype, lang-8, etc., but what is really the best way to incorporate those corrections into our own usage? I'd love to hear what people have found that works (or even what to avoid because it doesn't work).

Thanks in advance.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5893 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 189 of 225
18 March 2013 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
I do various things:

What DOESN'T work: the "notes" button at lang-8. I've stowed away a bunch of good tips but I've never gone back to look at them. Putting stuff in a word doc on my desktop also doesn't work. I never look at it. Anki also doesn't always work.

What DOES work (for me):

1. Retype corrections and grammar tips nice and concise and put them in my log. I'm always in here so that's why this works the best for me ;)

2. Write a correction/grammar point (always in sentence form) on a post-it or a scrap piece of paper and put in in the kitchen, car, etc, where I'm sure to see it. They get thrown away, of course, but I usually pass by them a lot.

3. Keep a chronological notebook. I don't do this for corrections. I have a running list of phrases and idioms that I carry around with me.

Edited by Sunja on 18 March 2013 at 2:11pm

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4956 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 190 of 225
18 March 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
I've found this to be true not only in language learning, but in everything I try to do: The more embarrassing a mistake I make, the more likely I am to remember it and not repeat it. Making mistakes in German here on the forum, where I know they're going to be seen by who knows how many native speakers, makes my ears turn red, but the embarrassment factor definitely helps me remember the corrections.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5893 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 191 of 225
24 March 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Hi everybody, I'm just link-dropping here,

Betreff: German gender patterns (quoting from g-bod's log)

Brun Ugle wrote:
Regarding genders: Does German not have any "rules" or patterns that make it easier to remember them? ( ... )

Sunja wrote:
German must have pretty much the same patterns [as Norwegen]. Google: "Genus, German" for some good tips like this one. "Canoo.net - Der Artikel" is also good, but really slow this morning, for some reason...

By persons the genders match (the obvious rule)

der Mann - die Frau
der Vater - die Mutter
der Sohn - die Tochter

also by animals

der Stier - die Kuh

"Babies" are neuter

das Kalb, das Fohlen, das Lamm, das Küken

Gender patterns for weather, calendar, plants.. found on this page!

edit: I updated canoo.net to include the menu title. Very helpful stuff!

Edited by Sunja on 24 March 2013 at 10:05am

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5159 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 192 of 225
10 April 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Question about corrections:

When you receive corrections on a text you have written or in your speaking, what do
you do with them? Do you just note them (mentally or in a notebook), do review
exercises, enter into Anki, or ??? Many of us are fortunate to have native speakers
(such as our Godfather, for one example) share their knowledge with us via this forum,
skype, lang-8, etc., but what is really the best way to incorporate those corrections
into our own usage? I'd love to hear what people have found that works (or even what
to avoid because it doesn't work).

Thanks in advance.

What works for me is simply to correct my own text based on the corrections I received
instead of just reading them. It makes me remember better when I delete my mistakes and
write the correct form instead. I did this when we had to write many short essays in
school and send in corrected versions. I would notice what mistakes I frequently make
and try to think about the next time.

Maybe it would also help to keep both versions of the text for later, so that you can
go through them again and see what mistakes you used to make and see if you've learned
from them yet. It would also be a good way to see real proof of your progress ;)

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version