Triglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 145 of 225
14 January 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Danke, Josquin and Sunja for the clarifications!

Songlines, looking at the German team for 2012 worried me. It looks like there aren't many who were still active at the end of the year. I hope our experience is different.
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4165 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 146 of 225
14 January 2013 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
I hope so as well. I'm just picking up the pace with German!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5892 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 147 of 225
14 January 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
It gets hard to post after half a year -- I should know -- I fell out during the summer of the last TAC :( But I'm sailing at a good clip right now with my languages and I hope I can keep the momentum going. To extend the metaphor, as long as I've got wind in my sails, this could be the year that I make it -- yea! (eek, it's only January..)

As it stands right now we've got two members that don't have logs. Tecktight even deleted her old log, so I can't tell if she's planning to come back or not. Ignis Fatuus has only made two posts in the entire forum. How's that possible? I'm always posting! ;) I wonder if he'll make a third post?

And I've been eagerly awaiting Nils' response to all those great comments in his log! TheGreaterFool, where are you hiding? ;)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5868 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 148 of 225
14 January 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Danke, Josquin and Sunja for the clarifications!

Songlines, looking at the German team for 2012 worried me. It looks like there aren't many who were still active at the end of the year. I hope our experience is different.

renaissancemedi wrote:
I hope so as well. I'm just picking up the pace with German!

I'd like to assuage (nice word) some or your worries. I participated in last year's TAC. I don't think I was a very good member (I was not very regular at times), but I made it to the end.

Now for the useful part: I joined as the member of just one group, although I was studying three different languages. I elected the Romantics (due to Italian), although I was also focused on German and Arabic. I don't know whether there were people in more than one team, but I doubt it (maybe there were some exceptions).

My point is: in 2012, I studied German throughout the year. I was also a TAC player. But, due to having joined a different team, it did not show. I think this year will be different: players are connected to teams that represent all target languages (I joined three teams). So, everyone studying German and joining TAC is represented in this team. Which makes it (and all others) stronger.

Edited by Luso on 14 January 2013 at 11:37pm

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5016 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 149 of 225
15 January 2013 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:

Songlines, looking at the German team for 2012 worried me. It looks like there aren't many who were still active
at the end of the year. I hope our experience is different.

I myself have been guilty of the "early enthusiasm followed by mid-year dropping out" phenomenon. And if
procrastination were an Olympic event, I could easily "procrastinate for Canada"...

Speaking from experience, if you do have a little (or not-so-little) lapse, just try to resume without:
- Feeling embarrassed. You won't be alone in having been temporarily derailed. The important thing is getting
back on track.
- Waiting till you can do a super-duper return-to-the-forum-post with all kinds of excellent achievements to
report. The perfect is indeed "the enemy of the good" in situations like this. (Some of you may recognize this
impulse from other spheres of your lives, e.g. putting off chores like writing long-overdue letters, because you
feel you have to do an extra-special job to compensate for your tardiness.)

I've already mentioned this thread in a number of places, but for anyone who hasn't yet read it, and is worried
about maintaining the discipline to reach your goals, I recommend this entire thread :
30 days , which EMK started.   

Edited by songlines on 15 January 2013 at 7:16am

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5158 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 150 of 225
16 January 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone! I know it's late, and it says in the sign-up thread that this group is
closed, but I thought I'd ask anyway if it's okay for me to register. I'm studying German
full-time at university, so I will definitely keep up with my German studies. I'll also
try my best to keep posting, last year I didn't post regularly but at least I kept going
through the whole year. The problem is that I lost motivation as I didn't hear much from
my team mates. I was hoping to find a bigger team this year to join.

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4675 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 151 of 225
17 January 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm back from fluhell :-)

Updated my log, had a Skype session in German and are picking up my books.

I wish everyone in Team Schnitzel many happy hours with the German language.

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4318 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 152 of 225
17 January 2013 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I haven't got any previous TAC experience, so I can't tell if this one will be successful. However, I started to study a language by my own (English) almost 13 months ago. I've missed some days and even a few entire weeks. By the time being I continue studying English everyday and most times I don't see it as an imposed must. Because of this, I know how difficult is both beginning to study and persevering. I think songlines is right. Don't matter if we slack for some time as long as we return. I don't see the point in coming back with lots of progress, since it could discourage us after we had been goofing off for a time.

@WingSuet: as far as I know, inscriptions are allowed until January 31th, so if nobody claims...

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version