United States
Joined 4370 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 17 of 22
28 November 2012 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

So, Colombia did to them the same Franco did to Catalans.

That doesn't really make it right. And just because a person is Colombian (or Spanish, American, etc.), doesn't mean they agree with everything that Colombia's (or Spain's, US's, etc.) government ever did in the past.

Iversen -- I misread your post; I didn't realize you were including Andorra with Catalonia! I guess we agree then. As far as Mallorca, it could be that (like in Valencia and other places) Catalan is weak in the cities and strong in the towns?

Edited by anamsc2 on 28 November 2012 at 3:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6071 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 22
03 December 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
anamsc2 wrote:
As far as Mallorca, it could be that (like in Valencia and other
places) Catalan is weak in the cities and strong in the towns?

Outside of Catalonia and Andorra, the Catalan language is not very strong as it is not
the main language of instruction in schools, so the young people are not very exposed to
it, especially in urban areas, and therefore it's gradually declining.

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4322 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 19 of 22
07 December 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Aye, here too? Please, let's drop the matter of independence for quite a while... Bloody hell, what a headache!

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6071 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 22
07 December 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Interesting article this week on the use of language in the education sector in
Catalonia:

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20121204/cataluna-acusa-gobierno -tumbar-inmersion-relgar-
catalan-materia-especialidad/581542.shtml

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 21 of 22
07 December 2012 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Dagane wrote:
Aye, here too? Please, let's drop the matter of independence for quite a
while... Bloody hell, what a headache!

I tend to agree with you, since it's politics, and thorny politics at at that.

Still, what Wert's trying to do with the Catalan language in Catalonia will have
repercussions throughout Europe regarding other minority languages in education, I
think. That's definitely something worth talking about.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 07 December 2012 at 10:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4322 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 22 of 22
07 December 2012 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Dagane wrote:
Aye, here too? Please, let's drop the matter of independence for quite a
while... Bloody hell, what a headache!

I tend to agree with you, since it's politics, and thorny politics at at that.

Still, what Wert's trying to do with the Catalan language in Catalonia will have
repercussions throughout Europe regarding other minority languages in education, I
think. That's definitely something worth talking about.

R.
==

This kind of conversation is so cumbersome, but common, that I must keep myself calm by thinking in the Wonderland. Wryly, Wonderland people are even more strange than Spaniards, would you believe it?

As for Wert, he's the most stupid, incompetent and dishonest 'Education and Culture' chief I've ever known about. Nothing good to say about Catalan government language politics either, sorry.

As far as I've experienced the Spanish educational system regarding official languages, which happened in Galicia, it leaks everywhere. Hardly does nobody care about one language, nevermind if that language is Spanish or the other native tongue of each region. I've got a bunch of pretty good ideas in which nobody is interested. They're thought on the basis of the European idea that learning languages links people... But better off moving on, since no Spaniard cares.

END OF MY RAVINGS

Catalans have stated that Spanish would be a taught language in the worst scenario, similarly to the Flemish case, which is seen as an own language by Belgians, regardless it's widely considered as a variant of Dutch. The only difference would be that Spanish'd be 'French', and Catalan'd be 'Flemish', if you know what I mean.

Wert's (un)vision is frustrating, but I think that's not the main concern about regional languages. As I said above, Spain is a mess when talking about languages. It's a way too complicated matter to talk about. I had lots of discussions with Galician people about that. Also, I have relatives and friends who live either in Basque Country or Catalonia. Moreover, I met some fanatics of Asturian and I met some Cantabrian native speakers before this language/dialect/whatsoever dissappeared from my near landscape. Summing up, these are the opinions about languages:

People from a region with no strong regional language. Options:
1. My language is paroquial. I'm embarrassed of speaking it.
2. Why the hell should I learn such a useless dialect? It isn't even a language!

People from a region with a strong regional language. Options:
1. We all should speak only our language!! weeee!!
2. Look at those bastards. They want to make us bad, we're going to send our children to a Spanish speaking school, grrr...

So that's, pretty comical and simple, I know. The point is that unless all of us gather in a real conversation, not just with sharpened words, there's no horizon in matter of a good language learning nor mutual respect. Politicians cope with languages as freight, they're just a way to gain or lose votants at best.

I don't really think it'd have an effect in the rest of Europe. Countries such as France and Switzerland follows very different and opposite strategies.

EDIT FOR A SIDE OPINION

Regarding our Colombian mate's comment, every language is a treasure and a culture alive, no matter its 'weakness'. Please, please, please, don't make a politic matter of that. You'll start the WW3.

Edited by Dagane on 07 December 2012 at 11:32pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version