Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 9 of 22
26 November 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
It seems that CiU, the governing party in Catalonia, has shot itself in the foot by calling an election two years early.
They asked for an "exceptional majority" to get a strong mandate behind their plans preparing for independence. In
order to get the majority in the Catalan parliament they needed 68 seats. They had 62 before the election. Now they
have only 50. Although there is a clear majority in the Catalan parliament in favour of independence, it will be
harder for CiU to govern. CiU is a centre-right party. To govern, they need the support of either PSC (a social-
democratic party opposing independence), ERC (a left-wing party in favour of independence) or PP (a centre-
right/right-wing party heavily opposed to independence). None of them are ideal partners for CiU. A referendum on
independence is probably still far away.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 22
26 November 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
My limited experience in Barcelona was that no one was much interested in my limited
attempts at Catalan, and that a lot of the foreign community didn't even know the basics.
I would guess that this would change with independence, that Catalan would take a more
central role again.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 22
26 November 2012 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
I just checked my travels, and I have visited Barcelona and other places in Catalunya in 1976, 1078, 1989, 2005, 2009 and 2011. And my experience is that Catalan is stronger than Castellano there, based on the languages I heard in the streets, shops, buses and parks. And you can get Catalan newspapers everywhere. The bookshops do carry a lot of Spanish literature, which is logical given the astronomical number of titles in that language, but I saw no purely Spanish bookshops (although it has to be said that I only have visited a limited number of bookstores in Barcelona plus one in Girona).

My personal experience was quite different from kanewai's: I basically spoke Catalan to everybody and everywhere without asking for permission, and only a small handful of people didn't understand it - although that included the receptionist at my 2011 hotel. Sometimes people looked surprised, but it was not like I was speaking something weird or stigmatized - it was just unexpected that an outsider had bothered to learn their language.

In contrast I only heard Valenciano twice in the streets of Valencia plus a few sentences in the tourist information when I asked for the best bookstore in that city because I wanted to buy Valencian/Catalan books. I did hear Catalan at the Aquarium, but probably from 'tourists' from Catalanyua. In Xativa i did hear som Valenciano, but Alicante was totally Spanish-speaking - and the bilingual signs and posters everywhere seemed somewhat pointless.

In Palma de Mallorca one elderly man at my hotel spoke in Balearic Catalan to me when I had mentioned my interest in the language, but apart from that I didn't hear any Catalan.

I have also visited Andorra, but that was in 2005 just I began to relearn my languages, so I didn't listen for Catalan there - I just used my rusty Spanish.

So basically I think Catalan is fairly safe in Catalunya, and that it is taken for granted there - though not from tourists. Outside Catalunya it has lost the battle. But there is a segment of the Spanish speaking population in Barcelona and in the coastal towns who can't or won't deal with the language. I'm not going to specify what I think about these people, and I'm certainly not going to discuss the politically sensitive question of independence here at HTLAL. But as a language learner it is worth learning Catalan as a supplement to Spanish. The area where it is spoken is interesting in itself and easy to reach from other places in Europe, and with a background in Spanish it is not too hard to add Catalan to your language list.

Edited by Iversen on 26 November 2012 at 11:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4370 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 12 of 22
27 November 2012 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

In Palma de Mallorca one elderly man at my hotel spoke in Balearic Catalan to me when I had mentioned my interest in the language, but apart from that I didn't hear any Catalan.

I have also visited Andorra, but that was in 2005 just I began to relearn my languages, so I didn't listen for Catalan there - I just used my rusty Spanish.

So basically I think Catalan is fairly safe in Catalunya, and that it is taken for granted there - though not from tourists. Outside Catalunya it has lost the battle.

I have to say, my experiences with Catalan outside of Catalonia have been very different from yours. I lived in both Barcelona and Andorra, and I would say that Catalan is much, much stronger in Andorra (not to say that it's weak in Barcelona, just that it's comparatively doing great in Andorra). In fact, many immigrants to Andorra (not from Spanish-speaking countries) end up learning only Catalan (although any adult Andorran you meet will speak Spanish).

I have never been to Mallorca, but I did live with a couple of Mallorcans, and based on what they told me, the language is alive and well there too.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 22
27 November 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Point taken, Ogrim (below).

To anamsc2: No estem en desacord sobre Andorra. No he visitat aquest lloc des del 2005, però he trobat un canal de televisió català andorrà i jo he vist també una quantitat desproporcionada de materials en catalá d'aquest punt minúscul al mapa. Malauradament jo no coneix molt bé la situació lingüistica en les illes Balears - només puc diure que jo personalment no he sentit res dit en català als carrers de Palma o Can Pastilla (on em vaig allotjar en 2011), només en mi hotel, i no vaig sentir tampoc cap català en els llocs turístics que vaig visitar durant la meva visita (com per exemple l'aquari). Deixant de banda les illes Balears, es clar que jo hauria degut escriure "Fora de Catalunya I ANDORRA el català ha perdut la batalla".

(We don't disagree about Andorra -I haven't visited the place since 2005, but I know that they have a Catalan TV station there and that there are a disproportionally large amount of Catalan materials from that tiny spot on the map. I don't know much about the situation on Mallorca - I just didn't hear anybody speak Catalan in the streets of Palma or Can Pastilla where I stayed, and I didn't hear it the places I visited (like the aquarium). So leaving the Balearic isles aside I should have written "Outside Catalunya AND ANDORRA it has lost the battle.")

Edited by Iversen on 27 November 2012 at 1:19pm

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4450 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 14 of 22
27 November 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Shouldn't this thread really be in another section? Creía que en esta parte del Forum se escribe en español.

Anyway, while I'm here, just a word on the situation in Valencia. It is true that you don't hear much Valencian in the cities. However, there are villages and towns where the language is actively spoken. If you go 30-40 minutes south of the city of Valencia to places like Silla and Sueca, you will hear that it is very much alive and spoken by most of the inhabitants. Maybe it is so because these are not touristy places.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5156 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 15 of 22
27 November 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
The Catalans, like any other nationality, deserve their own state where their culture and civilization can flourish.

I'm one of those who believe that more than anything else, a language makes a people, and a minority status within a larger political unit will irrevocably stifle its and their development.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4479 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 16 of 22
28 November 2012 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
Archipelago of San Andrés, Providencia and Santa Catalina also deserve their own independence and respect for the local English varieties (creole). They were annexed by Colombia and Spanish was imposed on them.

''Before 1960, the population of the islands was almost entirely Raizals, who are an Afro-Caribbean group, Protestant in religion, speaking San Andrés-Providencia Creole. Colombia has promoted the migration of Spanish-speaking mainlanders, with Catholic missions participating since 1947. This policy seems to be an answer to growing discontent within the Raizal community that could strengthen separatist movements; a raizal majority would in this case win a pro-independence referendum but this could be neutralized by outnumbering them with immigrants.'' (Wiki)

So, Colombia did to them the same Franco did to Catalans.

Edited by Medulin on 28 November 2012 at 1:43am

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version