Germany
despairedreading.worRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4336 days ago

37 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Japanese
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 9 of 13
22 July 2012 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Maybe the "oddest" thing to my standards is a Japanese girl who will sometimes post status updates in Norwegian
because she studied there for a year or so.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 13
22 July 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
82 and using Facebook actively?! Oh my!!! My grandma is 70 and she can't send an sms, even if I gave her once the instruction for dummies. And what? She said: "ooooh, I'm too oooooooooold". God, I must tell her about it. Thank you, Cristina, it's a wonderful example in so many fields!

She is one of those quiet people out there, who you could pass on the street and think there was nothing about her, yet her life could have made the most amazing of movies. Her grandad abandoned her grandmother, mother and aunts because her grandma had a baby 10 months after he left for a long sea voyage. The event left an emotional scar on the entire family - and left the family in absolute poverty. She grew up, married a baker and had 30 happy years with him, when in one single year, her husband died, her mom died, and the Faroe Island economy went down the drains. Trying desperately to save her husband's bakery she kept it too long, and incurred some major debts that she is still paying off now, decades later, and therefore she is still working at the age of 82. She could probably have gotten some sort of deal with the banks, but she is too proud not to pay her own debts, so 4 times a week she gets up and cleans houses to earn some extra money since she doesn't have much of a pension. When everything was lost in the Faroe Islands she moved to Denmark (in her early 60ies) both to earn money and to save her son from trouble, since he was gay, and 20 years ago that was not too popular in the Faroe Islands. She then met and married a Scot, who was charming and funny, but who also turned out to be abusive, and who tried to kill her son. She divorced him, and is now living alone in Denmark. She is such a strong woman, who got up at 4 every morning to start making breads and cakes for the bakery for 30 years, and who is still working at 82. If I won the lottery, treating her to some luxuries would have been my first act.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 22 July 2012 at 6:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4648 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 11 of 13
22 July 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
I'm speechless now.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4633 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 12 of 13
22 July 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
When everything was lost in the Faroe Islands she moved to Denmark (in her early 60ies) both to earn money and to save her son from trouble, since he was gay, and 20 years ago that was not too popular in the Faroe Islands.

On an unrelated note: The Faroe Islands still have problems acknowledging the rights of LGBT people. Unfortunately, my only source is this article from the German Wikipedia. The English Wikipedia doesn't report about this phenomenon.

As opposed to other Scandinavian countries which are very open about same-sex marriage, the social climate in the Faroes seems to be a lot more conservative. I don't know whether the provinciality or the island position might contribute to a certain mindset which refuses homosexuality, but in the times of the internet that shouldn't be an argument any longer. I'm not saying Faroese people are homophobic, but at least their legislation is somewhat backward.

Well, be that as it may. I know I'm not supposed to discuss politics here, so I'm just saying that was a fascinating story you told, Cristina. Thanks a lot.

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 13 of 13
06 August 2012 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
I used to spend more time on a Yahoo Afrikaans discussion group. One of the members of this group was an attorney who claimed to be native in Japanese and Russian (I can't really vouch for either one as I don't know these languages, but I did see examples of Cyrillic alphabet and Kanji and Kana in some of his posts) and he sometimes wrote in pretty good Dutch as well.

Edited by mick33 on 06 August 2012 at 9:49pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version