Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 13
18 July 2012 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
On this forum I would think there is a greater likelyhood of us having contacts in unusual linguistic communities. My most "exotic" one is my second cousin, who is from the Faroe Islands, and who regularly writes on her Facebook page in Faroese.

She is one of the kindest souls I know, and has been through so much pain and suffering, but she still has the ability to see the silver lining of every cloud.

I feel like sharing with you what she wrote on her Facebook page this morning. I will try to translate it to English, but since I have never studied any Faroese, I am making an educated guess. If someone out there actually speaks the language, feel free to come in and correct it.

---------------
Góðan morgun ,eftur eina góða nátt fáða ogur vónande ein góðan dag, eit gamalt orð sigur ( smíl til verina og hon smílur til tín ) so lat ogur fara smílande út í dag og taka jesus við ogur ,so smíl , ♥ ♥ ♥
---------------

Good morning,
After a good night we hopefully get a good day. An old word says (an old saying goes): Smile to the world and it will smile back at you. So let us go out smiling today, and take Jesus with us, so smile.

What unusal linguistic contacts do you have, and is there anything you would like to share from what you have seeen them write?
6 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4633 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 13
18 July 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Hello Cristina,

thanks for starting such an interesting topic! Unfortunately, I do not have any unusual language contacts, but as you mentioned Faroese, I just have to throw in my two cents! :)

I'm just dabbling in Faroese after some more serious study of Icelandic, but I really think it's a fascinating language. As far as I can tell, your translation is correct, but I'm irritated by your cousin's use of "ogur" instead of "okkur" for "us". You don't happen to know which dialect of Faroese your cousin speaks, or if this is just colloquial Faroese?

There are some spelling mistakes in your cousin's message, but they don't surprise me as Faroese spelling is a nightmare - comparable to English and Danish spelling. It must be absolutely impenetrable for Faroese people without any knowledge of Icelandic or Old Norse. She mixes up some silent letters and then there is the "ogur" thing...

It's a very sweet message -- the more as it is written in my favourite minority language! I wish I knew people from the Faroes or some Scottish Gaels. That would be really interesting. Unfortunately, I have only contacts in the European main languages, so I cannot contribute to the original topic.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 13
18 July 2012 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
I'm irritated by your cousin's use of "ogur" instead of "okkur" for "us". You don't happen to know which dialect of Faroese your cousin speaks, or if this is just colloquial Faroese?

There are some spelling mistakes in your cousin's message, but they don't surprise me as Faroese spelling is a nightmare - comparable to English and Danish spelling. It must be absolutely impenetrable for Faroese people without any knowledge of Icelandic or Old Norse. She mixes up some silent letters and then there is the "ogur" thing...

I do not know which dialect she speaks, but if there were several spelling errors there, then "ogur" may be another one. She is very hard working, and knows a lot about the world, but I do not know if she has had any schooling over the last 65 years (she is 82).
2 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5242 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 13
18 July 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
She is very hard working, and knows a lot about the world, but I do not know if she has had
any schooling over the last 65 years (she is 82).

Maybe she only learnt to write Danish at school back then.
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4648 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 5 of 13
19 July 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
82 and using Facebook actively?! Oh my!!! My grandma is 70 and she can't send an sms, even if I gave her once the instruction for dummies. And what? She said: "ooooh, I'm too oooooooooold". God, I must tell her about it. Thank you, Cristina, it's a wonderful example in so many fields!

Well, if it comes to me, I have a friend from Slovenia and another one from the Netherlands (okay, this second country is not so unusual, especially that Dutch community is very active on both, Twitter and Facebook). We've met at one international music forum few years ago and we're still in touch after 6 years (or even more)... They are sending me postcards and even language books (actually, when I've seen the price of the Slo-Eng dictionary he bought for me, the adjective "shocked" would be an euphemism while describing my feelings. And it was only one of three books he sent me. Not mention the cost of package...).
2 years ago they had an idea to meet each other. They know I'm generally short of money so... My Dutch friend drove me all day from Poland to Slovene and the other way round, meanwhile visiting several countries. And my Slovene friend was an incredible host for us, showing us the best things in Ljubljana and on the coast. Again - I won't mention all the things they have bought for me during these several days... Amazing memories that will stay in my mind FOREVER.

I have several foreign acquaintances, with some of them I've even met, but it will be hard for anybody to beat this Dutch-Slovene tandem.
3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4477 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 6 of 13
19 July 2012 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
As long as we're counting linguistic "odd-couples" here...I had a friend in college who was Korean and had a lot of difficulty with English. For a good while he was dating a girl who was similarly challenged with English. She was Slovakian.

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4659 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 7 of 13
19 July 2012 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
There are more than a couple of Latinists on my G+ stream, and a few write in nothing but Latin. One guy goes an
extra step and sometimes writes snippets of Ancient Greek. Another friend I know will occasionally drop some
Middle Egyptian on his Facebook stream.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 8 of 13
20 July 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
My facebook page is a complete blur of languages. I think the most "unusual" are Fijian, Solomons Pidgin and Bislama. These are from people I met in high school in New Zealand.

I'm trying to think how many different languages I see regularly or sporadically (in brackets) on my facebook stream, but it's kind of hard to tell... I might forget to mention some.

Asian languages: Korean, Japanese, Malay, (Mandarin Chinese), (Mongolian), (Tagalog)
Middle-Eastern: Persian, Hebrew
European: German, English, Portuguese, Spanish, (French), (Greek), (Dutch), (Hungarian)

I guess it's no wonder I feel so uprooted sometimes...

Edited by druckfehler on 20 July 2012 at 5:40pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version