Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
32 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
catullus_roar
Quadrilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4356 days ago

89 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Malay, Hokkien*, English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese*, French, German, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Latin, Armenian, Afrikaans, Russian

Message 1 of 32
17 June 2012 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm curious about the actual use of Esperanto, especially in Europe. Europeans on this forum - do you find yourself using Esperanto as a language to communicate with people from other countries in informal situations (eg. on a street)? Or would you rather switch to another lingua franca, like French or Spanish (just examples). Have you ever been approached in Esperanto? :) It's a language which is quite mysterious here in Asia, and so I'd like to hear more stories or examples about it in action, as well as perspectives on whether it is indeed widely used in casual situations. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5241 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 32
17 June 2012 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
catullus_roar wrote:
Have you ever been approached in Esperanto? :)

I don't think so. I can't remember ever being approached in another language than the national or local language (or
a closely related one, like Swedish in Norway) or in one of the "big" ones: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish.
On the other hand, I don't know Esperanto and I don't know how it sounds, so I would probably be unable to
recognise it if it was spoken to me...

MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4635 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 3 of 32
17 June 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
I remember watching TV3 from Catalonia (or was it a German channel?) and they made a report about a group of people from Belgium studying it and talking to a few people from other countries, like Spain.

I've never been approached in Esperanto, but I can recognize several words.

I've never really read thoroughly about it, but I still find it silly to learn this language to communicate with people from other countries, just any major language and you're fine, "Lord English" is here to get that job done.

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4653 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 32
17 June 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I was first exposed to Esperanto in 1957 when I was in school. Even at the tender age of 12 my first reaction was to notice all things about the language that needed to be fixed before it could become really useable. That's still my impression of it. It needs a lot of tinkering and fixing to make it useable.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 32
17 June 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
To the title- yes people use it inside the community and they are really enthusiastic
about it. Unlike most artificial languages, Esperanto can give you the same things as
other languages, just in smaller amounts. There are books music, classes, textbooks,
speakers using it and often prefering it to other foreign languages when both sides can
speak it.

To the post- no, I have never been approached in Esperanto in the street. It isn't
widely used because most people do not believe it could be used at all and therefore
don't even consider learning it, when it comes to choosing a language. They prefer to
fail at English for the tenth time to trying Esperanto.

It is sad because Esperanto could have a lot of use inside Europe (considering many
people have trouble with learning natural foreign languages and therefore miss a lot of
opportunities, both personal and professional). It would just need more support, which
it is very unlikely to ever get.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 32
18 June 2012 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Yeah, it's used inside the community. For most speakers it's also a cultural unity, so while you have to seek for Esperanto speakers, they'll often be willing to help you/spend time with you just because you speak Esperanto. It's also easier to find someone in your hometown with whom to practice on a regular basis, as opposed to finding a native speaker of your target language. Even a fluent speaker is likely to speak it as an L2, so they'd also consider practice desirable. I imagine a native speaker would only be interested if he/she misses speaking their native language.

A specific example: I've used Esperanto more than I've used Portuguese or Italian. In fact I haven't used them at all in Russia. I use them online way more than I ever tried to use Esperanto though, as most things available in natural languages (my list in your thread) are more interesting. I don't love Esperanto enough to be excited about things BECAUSE they're in Esperanto.

What else... when I started learning it, it was because I had heard that it gets easier after 5 languages or so. I wanted to have one more under my belt. I did reach the intermediate level and for now I feel like Esperanto has fulfilled its role in my life. I could've reached fluency but I got discouraged when I contacted the Esperanto club in Moscow, in Esperanto, and they couldn't understand that I didn't want classes, I wanted to know whether there are any events where you can simply practise speaking Esperanto. Perhaps my writing was kinda bad...
7 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 32
18 June 2012 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Just as Cavesa says, Esperanto is highly used inside the community, there are big meetings every year, several societies and so on, but whatever the Esperantists themselves say, you won't randomly bump into a speaker in the street. It just won't happen.

If you're a speaker yourself, you probably know where to find like-minded souls. However, you stand a greater chance getting use for German, French or any of the other big languages, in any random city in Europe, down to the smallest village. If the speakers themselves don't wear the green star and the shops don't have the Esperanto flag sticker in the window, how would anyone know where it's "useful"?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 32
18 June 2012 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
Esperanto is usable, without any need for 'tinkering' or 'fixing', and it is used. I speak it with people from all over the world, and have a book case full of books in it, which I enjoy reading. Some tens of thousands of books have been published in Esperanto.

It's not a widely-spoken language; optimistic estimates suggest about 2 million speakers, and quite a few speakers refuse to believe that number. The only time people get approached on the street in Esperanto seems to be near Esperanto events. At a train station a train ride away from a small town where a meeting is about to take place, or a few blocks away from accommodations, I've run into people approaching me in Esperanto. A friend of mine has been approached in fluent Esperanto in a large city when the largest Esperanto event, the Universala Kongreso, was being held there, and I think he was fairly far from the event itself but was wearing an Esperanto symbol - and the person who approached him wasn't attending the event.

Basically, Esperanto is used at Esperanto events, and between friends that speak Esperanto. There are a few people I speak exclusively in Esperanto with, and others where I switch back and forth depending on what we happen to feel like speaking at the time. It's a stretch to call it widely spoken: rather, it's enthusiastically spoken, and there are speakers in most areas, although often not very many.

There are plenty of events where you can just practice speaking Esperanto, including in Russia; only the hassle of needing to get a visa has kept me from going to ones in Russia.

I don't generally approach people in Esperanto; the odds of them speaking it are too small. If I'm trying to communicate with someone in Europe, I'll try English, German, Italian, broken fragments of French or Dutch, or a few words of Hungarian/Russian/other languages I speak very little of in a pinch. I occasionally mention Esperanto, but usually don't bother, and haven't had anyone take me up on using it in random situations.

Esperanto is used in Asia. Japan has a relatively big Esperanto community, which also publishes quite a few books. China radio international has an Esperanto website, but Esperanto seems less grassroots in China. There are often at least a couple of Japanese people at Esperanto events in Europe, while I meet fewer Chinese Esperanto speakers.

Edit: Here are some Esperanto events occurring in 2012. It's not a comprehensive list. Next week, events include the third Mongolian Esperanto Congress in Ulan Bator, the capital of Mongolia.

Also, here's an idea of some technical material available in Esperanto: Scienca kaj Teknika Esperanto-Biblioteko. For an English-language overview of original Esperanto fiction/literature, check out Geoffrey Sutton's "Concise Encyclopedia of the Original Literature of Esperanto."

Another edit: for the sake of clarity - I do use Esperanto on the street, and sometimes fairly often. But the people I use it with are my friends who speak it, or people I'm at an event with; I've never had a random stranger speak it with me unexpectedly, far from any event.

Edited by Volte on 18 June 2012 at 11:37am

11 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version