32 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 32
14 August 2012 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Same problem :D Watching football and reading about it is a huge part of language learning for me, and it's very disappointing that I can't do that in Esperanto. I also agree that it would be nice to talk about other subjects than Esperanto and the movement. Let's talk in Esperanto about how we don't want to talk about Esperanto! :DDD
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 26 of 32
14 August 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
You like football, Serpent? The beautiful game? Cool. Let's talk about it in English
or Portuguese, when I learn it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 32
14 August 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I love it!!! My biggest love is the team Benfica from Portugal. If you like football, Portuguese is certainly one of the best languages to learn;) along with Spanish.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 28 of 32
14 August 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
I've had this debate about Esperanto's usefulness over and over in my head. Not
considering any other factors, I love studying the language (although, with great
effort, I've put it on hold to study Portuguese). I'm giddy as a schoolkid even when
I'm SRSing Esperanto vocabulary.

But I'm not really a club- or meeting-type of guy. I'd rather go to a cafe or
something with a few people and speak in Esperanto - but not about Esperanto.
I'd want to talk about the news, sports, entertainment. The Pasporta Servo is a good
idea, but for me I'd rather stay in a hotel when I travel.

Sure - most of my face-to-face use of Esperanto is at cafes and hanging out with a handful of Esperanto-speaking friends. We discuss anything we'd talk about in other languages, from contemporary politics to technology.

kujichagulia wrote:

Which brings me to another point. I have yet to meet anyone other than myself who
knows some Esperanto but who also enjoys watching sports. I thought about writing a
blog about sports in Esperanto when I reach some level of fluency. But who would read
it? Thoughts like those are what led me to put Esperanto on hold for now.

I know some people who enjoy both Esperanto and sports. There's probably actually a decent potential readership for an Esperanto sports blog, if anyone starts a good one, and no significant competition for that niche that I know of.

I don't know any native Persian speakers into classical poetry, but it doesn't mean they don't exist - I've heard it's actually quite common. Don't make the mistake of assuming things you want, or speakers with shared interests, do not exist in languages you're a beginner in, simply because you haven't found them yet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 29 of 32
14 August 2012 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Well, at one point I spent a lot of time looking for an Esperanto forum about football or fantasy literature, and I couldn't find either. Esperanto offers some unique things but it's at the expense of more 'standard' things.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 30 of 32
14 August 2012 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well, at one point I spent a lot of time looking for an Esperanto forum about football or fantasy literature, and I couldn't find either. Esperanto offers some unique things but it's at the expense of more 'standard' things.

Football definitely isn't as popular in the Esperanto speaking world as you'd expect from the number of speakers - which is one reason why a good sports blog would be entering a fairly empty niche. I haven't found anything in the way of good forums in it either (the lernu ones don't massively appeal to me).

The only silver lining is that it does have some decent fantasy literature.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 31 of 32
15 August 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
@Volte - You are tempting me to go where no man has gone before - start an Esperanto football blog!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 32 of 32
15 August 2012 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
@Volte - You are tempting me to go where no man has gone before - start an Esperanto football blog!

Do it! I'd probably learn something about football from it. :-)

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version