United States
Joined 4494 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 57 of 76
26 December 2013 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Just to reinforce what I and others have said:

Whether a language is beginner level or advanced, reading (and listening) to 100 units or 50 units (and maybe even
25 units), is likely to give you a VERY significant boost. So I think that removing any starting level limit does not
violate the "original spirit" of the challenge that Cristina just reminded us about.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6403 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 58 of 76
26 December 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
I think one problem we had with the last challenge was that everyone wanted to align all their private study schedules with the challenge (so we ended up with writing, speaking etc challenges).
So let's not count them this time. No matter the level, writing 1 page is always easier than reading 100.
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4665 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 59 of 76
27 December 2013 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
So, when will be made the official decisions about the shape of SC 2014[/2015]? [please forgive me, but I haven't followed discussions regularly, so...]

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6403 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 60 of 76
28 December 2013 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Cristina wants to start the challenge in May. plenty of time then

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4715 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 61 of 76
28 December 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Someone suggested (somewhere, on another thread) that you could get a star for each 25 you reach. Would that be hard to program?

I thought of the star idea because I noticed that surrealix's website awarded stars to people who met their goals, and I thought to myself, "I would be really happy if I met half my reading goal. It would be nice to have some sort of acknowledgement of that." Dividing it into a star per 25 (books/films) meant that it would be more flexible and would work for a variety of types of learners. So one person might gain 6 reading stars in one language only. Others might gain a single star in 6 different languages. Either way, it is a massive accomplishment. Gaining one star will push you to work for the next one (rather than thinking, "Dang, I'm still 75% away from my goal!").

Another point in favour of the star system is that it keeps it simple. Forget dividing books and readers into easy, medium and hard. Count 100 pages as a book, allow people to figure out how many pages they will reckon for things like BD's and children's books, and just have fun!

Personally, I lost steam with my reading goal a few months ago. Mainly it was because I started a new job which meant I could devote less time to reading in French. So I am happy that there will be a break, after which I will be as ready as Sisyphus to roll that stone back up the hill!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6403 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 62 of 76
28 December 2013 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
emk suggested that for films it should be 50 and not 25, most seem to agree

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4674 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 63 of 76
28 December 2013 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Although I made the challenge more difficult for myself by counting each book as one unit instead of the 100 pages and also exclusively counted books, I didn't stand a chance in hell to finish the challenge with my A2/B1 Korean anyway. It was challenging enough to read my 13 books. Now I'm actually ready to read novels extensively, so it might work better next time around.

I'm very much in favor of the star system. While reading 10000 pages might be somehow feasible for a beginner/low-intermediate in a European language, it's well-nigh impossible with some languages. The star system would have been more encouraging for me.

I'm also for a 50 (listening)/25 (reading) measuring system.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4715 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 64 of 76
28 December 2013 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Although I made the challenge more difficult for myself by counting each book as one unit instead of the 100 pages and also exclusively counted books, I didn't stand a chance in hell to finish the challenge with my A2/B1 Korean anyway. It was challenging enough to read my 13 books. Now I'm actually ready to read novels extensively, so it might work better next time around.

I'm very much in favor of the star system. While reading 10000 pages might be somehow feasible for a beginner/low-intermediate in a European language, it's well-nigh impossible with some languages. The star system would have been more encouraging for me.

I'm also for a 50 (listening)/25 (reading) measuring system.

When did it become a listening / reading challenge? The original challenge was books and films. I know some people decided to "count" listening as watching, but I was never comfortable with that.
-First of all, they are rather different activities. Listening can be done anywhere and literally all day long. Watching a film or TV show requires you to sit yourself down. Watching a French film for me usually also involves wine. (It's about rituals, setting the scene, etc).
-Besides that, will people count immersive listening? (I mean putting on audio all the time but not necessarily paying attention.) Watching requires your full attenion, even more so if you are using subtitles.
-Native films and TV teach you things that audio never could. You learn about gestures, facial expressions, proximity when speaking, eye contact, etc. An example is the French tut-tut, spoken quickly with an equally quick shake of the head, which Thierry Lhermitte does so well in Le Diner de Cons.
-Native films and TV introduce you to the art, high and low, of your target language's culture. Most of the larger languages have a strong cinematic tradition.
-Then you get the people who do L/R and ask if they can count a single book for both. Sigh.

I listen to a lot of native audio (stories, podcasts, news, etc), and if I had counted it I would have tripled my film score in the current challenge. But I wanted to challenge myself to watch loads of films and TV shows, so I didn't do it.

I personally don't mind if someone disagrees and uses listening in place of watching. But I would be unhappy if the challenge changed to a listening/reading challenge from a film/reading challenge.

Edited by Jeffers on 28 December 2013 at 4:47am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version