JamesG2120
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4380 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, German

Message 1 of 17
04 May 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
So, I know there aren't many people who are learning Afrikaans or who want to learn Afrikaans. It isn't a language that everyone knows about, and there are also not a lot of people who speak it. There are threads on German, Dutch, Russian etc. I figured maybe I'd start a thread/topic on Afrikaans. I've been learning Afrikaans for a year now and I still need much improvement. If anyone here would like to share what they've learned, how they've learned what they've learned or if you're Afrikaans or speak Afrikaans, I'd love to hear from you!

1 person has voted this message useful

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4678 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 2 of 17
06 May 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Hiya! I've started learning Afrikaans :oD I've not gotten very far though and have stopped briefly as I've been busy with work and stuff.

I have been using the Teach Yourself books and cds. I wish Hugo did an Afrikaans in 3 Months because I really enjoy their style (Except the Polish one so far lol) but I'll use what I can get lol :o) I downloaded Bakgat (?) to get a feel of the language so I'm looking forward to that :o)

What materials have you used, had success with, hate, etc?

JamesG2120
Diglot
Joined 4380 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes

Message 3 of 17
06 May 2012 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
hi WentworthsGal. To be honest I don't believe I've ever heard of "Hugo." Is it some kind of language software, or maybe a language book? I basically began learning Afrikaans by listening to Afrikaans music and becoming more aware of the tones of the language. It's an easy language to learn as it doesn't have all the verb changes like Dutch and German have, and German I speak fairly fluently and I am still trying to figure out how in the world I managed to learn it. I do have a few sources that may be good to use; ielanguages.com - it has comprehensive learning material and it also has audio clippings so that you know how the words sound; It also has lessons on Polish and Swedish, so I think it will help you very well. I am not familiar with Bakgat. What exactly is it?

WentworthsGal
Joined 4678 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 

Message 4 of 17
06 May 2012 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Hi :o)
Hugo is a language material brand. If you go to Amazon.co.uk and search for Hugo in 3 Months it should being up loads of books, some really cheap as well. They also do accompanying cds which is cool too :o)

Bakgat is a film (sorry, I forget other people aren't inside my brain and automatically know what I'm talking about lol). I think there's a sequel to it too, Bakgat 2. One of the reasons I decided to learn Afrikaans was when I learnt about it having easy grammar :-p Swedish doesn't change verb endings for different people either and I REALLY like that idea lol. I also might use it as a stepping stone to Dutch one day.

Thanks for the source :o) I'll have to look that up at some point and have a mooch around :o)

JamesG2120
Diglot
Joined 4380 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes

Message 5 of 17
07 May 2012 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
ielanguages.com is actually one of the first language websites I had ever used. I found it when I was in high school. The woman who owns the website is well talented with foreign language studies. http://ielanguages.com/afrikaans1.html this is the link for the Afrikaans portion of the website. I think you'll find it very helpful. I'll have to take a look at the Huge in 3 Months courses, thanks for the tip :) So, what triggered your interest in Afrikaans?

WentworthsGal
Joined 4678 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 

Message 6 of 17
07 May 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the direct link :o)
Well... It's pure laziness that triggered my interest in Afrikaans lol. There was a link on Facebook to an article on the top 10 languages in the order of how easy they were to learn lol. (According to the author of course). Afrikaans was on top I think. So I was like "Ooh I'm gunna learn that one day" and it stuck around in my head until I decided to actually start lol. How about you?

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4822 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 17
07 May 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Not really related but as a native speaker of Dutch I can read Afrikaans, I've never heard it though so don't know about oral comprehension.

JamesG2120
Diglot
Joined 4380 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes

Message 8 of 17
08 May 2012 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Well, I had learned of the language before and I thought it was kind of cool, and since I was learning Dutch, it had seemed like something really awesome to learn since it had so many similarities with Dutch. I had some friends when I was 19 who had owned a café and I was there basically every single night about about a year...well, it turns out that a lot of international would hang out there because it was right across from UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio) one might I was outside with my friends talking and having fun, and then I heard these two girls speaking and I recognized the language. At first I thought it was Dutch, then I noticed it sounded very basic. I walked over to them and asked if they were Afrikaans, and it was hysterical because they both freaked out that I even knew what Afrikaans was let alone recognized the actual language. We became really good friends and hung out about 4 times a week until they had to go back to South Africa. I figured since we were all still friends on Facebook I'd try and learn Afrikaans. Sadly, I kind of stopped after a while and just picked it back up last year. I am still learning Dutch as my partner Robrecht is from the Netherlands.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version