Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4457 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 249 of 306
23 June 2012 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
The answer is Classical Chinese. The names are mentioned in Zuo zhuan, one of the earliest surviving history texts. Here’s the citation: 左傳 , 隱公五年 : “春蒐, 夏苗, 秋獮, 冬狩 .” So蒐 苗 獮 and 狩are the terms for seasonal hunting. You can find this in the dictionary 古漢語常用字字典, and a translation of the passage where it appears is in Mark Lewis’s book “Sanctioned Violence in Early China”, p. 18.

I thought someone learning characters might have come across these, but I guess not. For a while now I’ve been curious about these terms and their significance for early Chinese society – as I recall, there is some connection with ritual and royalty. It may have been that the king going hunting at certain times of year had ritual significance, like the tours of the realm made by European kings and queens.

Anyway, here’s another one. Name a Sinitic language (or Chinese dialect) WITHOUT tone sandhi.

Mandarin of course wouldn’t qualify, because if two tone 3s follow each other, the first will become tone 2, like “ni3 hao3” becoming ni2 hao3. With 老李買好酒, which is five tone 3s in a row, different numbers of them change depending on how fast the person is speaking. So not Mandarin.

1 person has voted this message useful

mashmusic11235
Groupie
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

85 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Cantonese

Message 250 of 306
24 June 2012 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
I could be wrong, but I studied Cantonese for about six months, and I don't recall it
having any tone sandhi whatsoever.

If I'm right, name a language that has T-V distinction (the correct term for using
plural/different pronouns to make a distinction between formality and intimacy) between
more than two pronouns. As a counterexample, French only has T-V distinction between 'tu'
and 'vous'. The language I have in mind has three of these pronouns.

Also, I congratulate you, viedums, on posing a question that no one could answer. Respect
^_^

Edited by mashmusic11235 on 24 June 2012 at 5:35am

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4969 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 251 of 306
24 June 2012 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
I am surprised, I am about to answer the hunting question 'Old Norse or Manchu', but I see I would be wrong.

anyway the answer is: Javanese:

you: kowe
     sampeyan
     panjenengan
Name a Chinese dialect spoken by non-Chinese (it's not Hui Mandarin! most Mandarin speakers are not Hui, and not all Huis are Mandarin)

Edited by clumsy on 24 June 2012 at 9:06pm

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 4969 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese

Message 252 of 306
28 June 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
it was supposed to be easy, Ping - a dialect of Chinese spoken by Zhuang people.

Name a language spoken in Indonesia which has it's own writing system, other than Javanese and Balinese.

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4457 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 

Message 253 of 306
29 June 2012 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Makassar or Makassarese.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned here before, but one Indonesian ethnic minority recently chose to write in Hangul (link below.)

For the previous question, it might be more correct to ask for a language spoken by non-Han rather than non-Chinese, since Han is the ethnic designation within China. Zhuang people would certainly consider themselves Chinese.

Name a language that uses both infixes and reduplication in its verb conjugation system.

Language Log

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 4969 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 

Message 254 of 306
05 July 2012 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Indonesian!

Ping - I think Chinese can be used in two contexts: Chinese natonal and Chinese ethnic person.

You call people in CHinatowns 'Chinese' even if they have never been to China.
A Catalan too wouldn't call herself Spanish.

Name a language which does not use Latin alphabet, and is used in Vietnam.

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4457 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 

Message 255 of 306
05 July 2012 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Actually Indonesian would not be correct, it doesn’t have infixes. I was thinking of Philippine languages like Tagalog or Ilokano.

The answer to your question is Cham. This language has a very interesting history, by the way. There is a Cham-French dictionary from the seventies with the Indic script which is quite fun to flip through.

Name a language in which some words are sesquisyllabic.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 4969 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 

Message 256 of 306
12 July 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Khmer!

hmm, yes, actually it was Cham I meant. hmm. I didn't know about the dictionary, there are not many textbooks anyway.

Name a macrolanguage having at least 20 languages.

This discussion contains 306 messages over 39 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version