Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4457 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 177 of 306
24 April 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
Bodo - but was it really written in Assamese script before Latin?

Name a language that is spoken on two large islands, although the dialects of one of the islands are now extinct.

1 person has voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4969 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 178 of 306
27 April 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
I think Tausug somewhat fits the description.

Name a language that has a name of a colour in its NATIVE name.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4563 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 179 of 306
27 April 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Karakalpak ("Qara" - black)

Name a Turkic language whose "dialects" actually belong to different primary branches of Turkic (according to Johanson's classification).

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 4969 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese

Message 180 of 306
29 April 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Kazakh!
THe dialect being Kyrgyz (some believe it may be not related immediately to Kazakh, but rather to Siberian Turkics)

Name a language which has two varieties which are not directly related to each other.
Western variety is Turkic and Eastern one is Mongolic.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Joined 4563 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 

Message 181 of 306
29 April 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Yugur
clumsy wrote:
Kazakh!
THe dialect being Kyrgyz (some believe it may be not related immediately to Kazakh, but rather to Siberian Turkics)
That's sooooooo not what I had in mind! AFAIK, Kyrgyz hasn't been considered a dialect of Kazakh since the early 20th century (in fact, back then they were both called Kyrgyz; the actual Kyrgyz were called "Kara-Kirghiz" or "Black Kyrgyz"). And I might not be completely up to date on turcology, but last time I checked mainstream sources placed both Kazakh in Kyrgyz firmly in the Kipchak branch. I think Kyrgyz has some Siberian influence, either sub- or superstrate, but it's still fundamentally Kipchak, the same way English is still West Germanic despite the Celtic substratum and Norse and Norman-French superstrata*. The languages I was thinking of (there's at least two of them) have a standard register in one of Johanson's branches, while having "dialects" within their territories, spoken by people from supposedly the same ethnic group, that belong to other branches. I repeat the question.

*Edit: According to Johanson himself Kyrgyz has pretty much been transformed into a Kipchak language from a Siberian Turkic one. Perhaps a better parallel is Gutnish, which used to be a separate branch of North Germanic, but by now has been transformed into an East Scandinavian variety (essentially a dialect of Swedish).

Edited by vonPeterhof on 29 April 2012 at 8:04pm

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 4969 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 

Message 182 of 306
02 May 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
Well, it was a year ago when I got into Turkic languages, and I remember something about Kyrgyz having some features similar to Eastern Turkic langs, and so on, due to the vowel harmony (Similar to Mongolian).

Well if it's not the case, I don' t know da answer, but I can reveal the answer to my question, as it was cancelled: Yugur.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Joined 4563 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 

Message 183 of 306
02 May 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
I didn't cancel your question, I answered it! Look above the quote.

And actually, vowel harmony isn't exclusive to Eastern Turkic, it was one of the features of Proto-Turkic and it has survived to varying extents in most modern Turkic languages, (standard) Uzbek being the major exception. The one striking difference from Kazakh that I notice when I try to read Kyrgyz is that it has long vowels (kz "taw" vs kg "too"), and these, AFAIK, don't appear in most "Western" Turkic languages, but do appear in Yakut and Tuvan.

aldous
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5033 days ago

73 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 184 of 306
06 May 2012 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
What's the next question?

This discussion contains 306 messages over 39 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version