01 July 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 1st of July - 23rd week

song: 노 리플라이 - 강아지의 꿈 (Puppy's Dream)

lessons studied: 1 Korean Language Adventure lesson
writing: assorted messages
reading: 34 pages of 세상에서 가장 무서운 이야기, 4 pages of 조선의 마지막 꽃: 덕혜 옹주
listening: youtube videos
speaking: a few measly sentences riddled with mistakes

This week I read a Sherlock Holmes short story (The Adventure of the Speckled Band) in my book of scary stories. It was interesting to read it in Korean, very different feeling from reading Sherlock Holmes in English. I'm guessing they changed the narration a bit, shortened it and possibly dumbed down the language, but I have no idea. I hadn't read that one before.

new grammar:

-조차 even

-ㄴ 채(로); intact, as it stands, with no change
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4670 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 66 of 344
08 July 2012 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 8th of July - 24th week

song: 그라비티 - Hey

lessons studied: ---
writing: ---
reading: 5 pages of 세상에서 가장 무서운 이야기, 2 news reports
listening: 2 episodes of Coffee Prince, 2 Iyagi Podcasts
speaking: ---

As predicted, I don't have much time for study. I managed to squeeze in some reading a listening this week, but I only really expect myself to do Anki reviews.

From watching Coffee Prince I noticed that my listening skills are quite unreliable. There's a baseline of what I understand, but some days are a lot better than others. I'm glad I understand so much on the good days, including mumbled speech and new vocabulary - it's also great that I understand more full sentences in rapid speech.

Edited by druckfehler on 08 July 2012 at 3:15pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4670 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 67 of 344
15 July 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 15th of July - 25th week

new vocabulary from wordlist: 86
lessons studied: 1 G.L.O.S.S. lesson
reading: 9 pages of 어린 왕자; blog posts, wikipedia - casually
writing: an afternoon on sharedtalk
listening: youtube clips

I randomly opened a new Anki deck and made lots of cards. I started on nouns from the TOPIK list, in the dreaded alphabetical order. I know that's not ideal, but I do create context. I find example sentences for the new words and leave a blank space, which I have to fill in. I usually also leave out the endings, so I have to decide whether to use 에, 에서, 의, 은/는, 이/가, 으로, etc., because I noticed that's where I still make lots of mistakes. So far it works very well. Half the cards I made have pictures (for most abstract nouns I leave them out) and I use contexts like the Euro Soccer Championship, TV Series I watched, etc. when possible. That's what makes it fun. I've noticed that pictures make recall far easier. Cards I have trouble with are simply demoted to leech status right away. I'll unleech them later. I also mark the cards for frequency, which could come in handy for exam preparation. Not sure if I manage to make cards for all the nouns until then, but we'll see.

My new cards once again coincide with stuff I read on AJATT (Clozed Deletion, Image Hack) after making them. Maybe I have the same study style as Khatzumoto, or it's just because his methods are pretty commonsensical. Too bad that guy already exists, I guess I could've made some money out of those realizations :D

I also spent time chatting on sharedtalk and it was amazingly effective. Once a good conversation gets going I learn new vocabulary and it reinforces grammar (I hope it doesn't reinforce grammar mistakes!). I still can't quite believe I had a conversation about Kant, Schopenhauer and bad politicians. I'm fairly sure the guy I talked to didn't try to use easy language. I couldn't possibly talk about these topics, but chatting miraculously works because I can quickly look up missing words and generally think a little longer before replying. It's a great confidence booster. I was so surprised at some of the words that came to mind - words I didn't even know I knew! Extensive reading and listening rock.

Edited by druckfehler on 15 July 2012 at 5:49pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4670 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 68 of 344
22 July 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 22nd of July - 26th week

new vocabulary from list: 52 words
reading: 43 pages of 어린 완자, 기억을 먹는 아이
listening: 1 TTMIK 이야기

I don't really have much to report. I'm reading 'The Little Prince' and doing my Anki reviews, but that's it. The Little Prince is a fairly easy read for me now. I still have to look up many words for descriptive paragraphs, but usually have no trouble unerstanding the dialogues.

My Korean friends are going back home at the end of this month and I asked them if they had any Korean books they didn't want to take with them. They gave me a copy of two German works they had to read for university (Daniel Kehlmann's 'Measuring the World' and Hermann Hesse's 'Journey to India'). I'm looking forward to reading them - I haven't read either before and think it will be interesting how Hermann Hesse's style of writing plays out in Korean translation. It seems like right now my Korean is good enough to roughly understand the plot. I could get started, but I still have some children's books to finish before that.

It seems like a steep climb from 'The Little Prince' to Hermann Hesse, but I actually think that such literature isn't as challenging as it seems - as long as the aim isn't perfect understanding. I started reading classics of English literature after 2-3 years of formal English instruction and it did wonders for my English skills. It didn't matter if I didn't know 20 words per page, as long as I understood the plot. I picked up a lot of vocabulary this way and honed my analytical reading skills.

new grammar:

-더라도 even if, no matter how
2 persons have voted this message useful

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4329 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 69 of 344
24 July 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
You're my hero >_<

I really like your log. Korean is an awesome language!!!!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4670 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 70 of 344
26 July 2012 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks for reading and liking my log! Unfortunately I don't think heroic fits me at all - some things in my life are not going too well at the moment and Korean has become my go-to activity for when I'm stressed out.

Korean is indeed awesome! I never tire of it and that's exceptional - I've tried a number of languages before and none of them motivated me to study consistently. Do you have plans for studying it later?

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4670 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 71 of 344
11 August 2012 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately my last log post got lost in the attack. I wrote about finishing The Little Prince (my review is on my blog now) and posted an example of the Anki cards I study with at the moment:

->

If I manage to make good progress with this deck I plan on making it available. I guess it might be helpful for others who are planning to write TOPIK Intermediate/Advanced, as well as Korean students in general.

Edited by druckfehler on 11 August 2012 at 2:06pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4670 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 72 of 344
19 August 2012 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 19th of August - 30th week

new vocabulary from list: 133 words
reading: re-read stories 2 & 3 of 파페포포 투게더
listening: 16 episodes of 로맨스가 피료해 2012

My last regular update was quite a while ago, but not much has been happening since then. I'm continuing to make picture cards from the TOPIK Intermediate vocabulary list. Today I finished the nouns starting with ㄱ. I can already feel the impact. I had encountered many of the words before, but didn't remember them. Structured vocabulary study is just the right method for lodging them in my memory.

I've gone back to watching dramas with subtitles, because it's much easier to pick up new words this way.

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version