Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 9 of 344
30 January 2012 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Interesting tidbit: Except for 공짜, the "new words" you listed that start with 공~ are actually from the same 한자 character (公) which generally means "public".

Thanks for pointing that out! I could easily see the connection of public between civil servant, public phone and public holiday, but I wouldn't have automatically thought it's also part of park and performance.
It seems a lot of the words I still have to study are Sino-Korean and I'm debating with myself whether I should start studying Hanja sometime soon.

Tarko wrote:
That website with the Korean grammar is incredible-- I haven't seen it before. I already knew one meaning for -기로 하다 but there were many more. Thanks for posting it!

That grammar website was definitely a lucky find. The search function is great for looking up unknown grammar and it seems pretty comprehensive.

Tarko wrote:
Also, I'm glad you're posting indie music. I've been trying to find more Korean indie music but it's hard to find anything other than Kpop.

It's definitely hard to completely escape KPop, but once you get to the K-Indie part of youtube you can happily surf from one indie song to the next. A good place to start is orienkorean's channel.
3 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6019 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 344
30 January 2012 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:

So I got this word list comprising roughly 3000 words off the TOPIK website.

Where did you get this list? I was trying to find it but wasn't able to. What would you recommend for a beginner
starting with Korean? FSI, Pimsleur, Assimil, Integrated Korean??
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 11 of 344
31 January 2012 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:

Where did you get this list? I was trying to find it but wasn't able to.

Luckily I found instructions in German how to download it off the official TOPIK webiste. Without them I would've been totally lost.

If you go to topik.go.kr you need to find 정부 마당 in the upper right corner of the page, then choose the 3rd option: 자류실. When you click that, you get a list of downloads.

For Beginner find the folder "한국어능력시험 초급 어휘 목록 안내", it's currently on page 3. It's one Excel file and it contains around 1500 words.

Beginner file now also uploaded here: TOPIK Beginner.

For Intermediate, find the folders called "한국어능력시험 중급 어휘 및 문법 목록1" and "한국어능력시험 중급 어휘 및 문법 목록2". They are currently on the 2nd page. Download the 8 pdf-files in there. It's a rather unwieldy list. From page 12 to page 134 there's a huge list of vocabulary they seem to have tested for occurence in TOPIK exams. From page 134 (in pdf 5) onward the most relevant (that's how I interpret it) vocabulary is repeated.

Intermediate files now also uploaded here: TOPIK Intermediate.

Are you planning to take the TOPIK exam? If you have any trouble finding/downloading the files, I could also email or upload them.

liddytime wrote:

What would you recommend for a beginner
starting with Korean? FSI, Pimsleur, Assimil, Integrated Korean??

Out of what you listed I only used Integrated Korean (1st book only so far). I tried FSI once later on but must say I didn't enjoy it - whether it works I can't say. I have no experiences with Assimil and Pimsleur, so I can't really comment, but I guess any course book with audio dialogue and drills will do the job. Generally, I don't think there's an approach that works equally well for everyone, so I guess the best is to look into many resources and go with any- and everything that seems useful to you.

Maybe explaining how I studied and emphasising some things I found important will be more instructive:

First of all, I got and still get a lot of language exposure, due to a severe case of drama fandom :) I'd definitely recommend getting used to the sounds a bit (or a lot) before starting to study and then to keep listening to native materials throughout. I notice a lot of people complain that they have trouble with pronunciation and listening and can see how they might have that problem, but because I get lots of practice I find listening to be easiest.

Maybe that's commonsense anyway, but learn Hangeul at the beginning, it makes a lot of sense and will probably help with understanding the sounds and it's easy to pick up anyway. I'd also recommend reading through the phonetic rules of Korean (Integrated Korean has a good overview in its Alphabet section) and staying aware of them when you study. Phonological change is consistent, but can be confusing if you don't know the rules.

I started studying not so seriously with free online material (mostly the engaging Seoul University Language Education Course, nice for learning to pronounce the consonants & vowels) and then went on to teach myself and a friend with Integrated Korean Beginning 1 book & audio. It works for self study and I personally liked its grammar explanations and general structure. The texts aren't really that great (very university-centered topics), but sufficient.

After that I took university courses (most of the time rather laid-back) until last summer, now I'm back to self-study.

It seems you already started studying Korean? How's it going? What are you studying with? If you need any pointers, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Edited by druckfehler on 25 February 2012 at 6:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6019 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 12 of 344
31 January 2012 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for the links!

Yeah, right now I've got a goal to finish Assimil and Pimsleur in Mandarin by June - but I keep getting drawn back to
Korean! There are so many more Korean speakers than CHinese speakers in my town. So, for the next 6 months
anyway Chinese will be my wife but Korean can be my mistress! ;-)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 13 of 344
05 February 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, 5th of February - 2nd Week

song: 캐스커 - 향 (Scent)

new words studied: 70
texts written: 5
episodes watched: 2
pages read: 16

This week I've been experimenting more with grammar rules and different ways of expressing the same concepts in my writing. I'm slowly converting passive into active knowledge while also learning new vocabulary (systematically) and grammar (as it comes up). When I took the Beginner TOPIK writing was my weakest area, but I think if I keep up the writing exercises it will at least level with the other areas. I noticed that the words I have the most trouble remembering are those I didn't write texts with, so I'll try to do the writing everyday. Realistically seen I'll always miss some days though, and then I'll just have to add the words to Anki without having used them first.

I also looked at the children's books I bought in Korea and was surprised that I can enjoyably read one of them (김치를 좋아하는 마녀) without a dictionary. I don't know 5-10 words per page, but often they're not the important ones and I understand 80% of the sentences. I feel that reading benefits my writing and comprehension a lot, so I'm planning to do more of it. I won't look up every unknown word, but will look up repeated ones.

Things to take away from this week:

Do not underestimate the blogosphere as a corpus for language research/detective work!
When I'm unsure about the right way to use grammar and expressions and can't find a fitting example sentence on Naver's Korean-English dictionary I type the stuff into google to see if it's an expression Koreans use. It works.

Do use hobbies you always wanted to expand on in your language learning quest!
Personally, I've always liked creative writing, so giving myself 10 must-use words and seeing what kind of story I can come up with combines study and fun.

new grammar:

-어/아 달라고 하다 Ask so. to do sth.

-(으)나 But (formal version of -지만)

-(으)며 While doing sth. (similar to -(으)면서)

-(이)며 And, or (similar to -하고)

Edited by druckfehler on 09 February 2012 at 3:22am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 14 of 344
06 February 2012 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
-(으)며 While doing sth. (formal version of -(으)면서)

Where did you read that (으)며 was more formal than (으)면서? As a contraction, it has always struck me as less formal (like most contractions), if anything.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 15 of 344
07 February 2012 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
The site I linked to mentions that it is the "literary equivalent", which in my mind translated to formal. But now that you mention it, I've also heard it in a lot of informal contexts. This prompted me to check it in a bilingual novel and they use both forms, but I can't see any difference in context. Is it absolutely interchangeable then?

I've somehow always been confused by (으)며 and the explanation I liked to doesn't quite clear it up, either.

By the way, thanks for your helpful comments!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 16 of 344
08 February 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
I did note that wording on the site, but I've not seen it used in contexts that are any more formal than (으)면서. From what I've seen, they do seem to be full interchangeable. I'm not saying there isn't a difference, just that I've yet to see an appreciable difference between them myself.

Edited by Warp3 on 08 February 2012 at 12:55am

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version