Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

"Switch to English" only in West Germany?

Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 25 of 27
07 November 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
My perception has been that the problem in Switzerland is not so much Swiss-German
(although that might be a problem), but the use of dialects, and they are really
inscrutable to someone who has only ever learned standard Hochdeutsch.

Is that a fair summary?

I would say so.
But, just as an aside: Swiss dialects are unintelligible even to native speakers of German. The same goes for a lot of Austrian and even some South German dialects.

Edited by Josquin on 08 November 2012 at 4:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4315 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 26 of 27
08 November 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
not only southern dialects ... Moselfränkisch is almost incomprehensible for me (although oddly Rheinfränkisch is no big deal), and I don't think anybody not speaking Plattdeutsch (as in Low German) themselves would understand that dialect group either

Edited by daegga on 08 November 2012 at 1:08pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 27 of 27
08 November 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Yes, you're probably right, daegga. But as I have had significantly more exposure to Plattdeutsch than to South German, I find it easier to understand. But that's of course my subjective point of view. I think to outsiders Platt may be absolutely unintelligible sometimes.

I have the habit of baffling my South German friends with some "Sauerländer Platt" from my Westphalian home region: "Wisse'n kitzken Platt met mäi kuiern?" for example means: "Willst du ein bisschen Platt mit mir sprechen?" (Do you want to speak a little bit of Platt with me?). They regularly don't understand a single word.

But the Platt from the island of Rügen, which is the place where my father was born, is absolutely different again: "Wüsse'n lütt bädden Platt met mi snacken?" is the same sentence in "Rüganer Platt". Anyway, Platt speakers usually say Platt isn't a dialect but a language of its own. I think they're right.

Edited by Josquin on 08 November 2012 at 5:02pm

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version