Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

"Switch to English" only in West Germany?

Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 27
19 July 2012 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I went on a guided bicycle tour in Berlin a few years ago. It was across a mixture of
former West and former East Berlin, and the guide was showing us the "edgy" parts of
the city, or at least places with that reputation. He was a youngish student, and a
very nice guy. I asked if he might be able to add a few words in English at the end of
each description of our stops. He smiled and very politely said he wouldn't be able to,
implying that his English wasn't up to it. I don't know if that really was the case,
but anyway, I didn't hear him speak English at all. He did promise to speak a bit
slower and clearer than normal for my sake (I seemed to be the only non-native
speaker), and he did so at first. But as time went on, he was warming to his
subject(s), and speeded up, and also seemed to lapse into, not quite dialect, but into
quite a strong accent, presumably Berlinerish.

It was great fun though, and I'd love to do it again. The next day, I hired a bike and
did my own version of the tour, but going a bit further afield. Not so satisfying
linguistically, being on my own, but a great way to see a city. I highly recommend
doing both these things.

1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5660 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 10 of 27
19 July 2012 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Also, make sure to communicate what you understand: Nod, make uh-huh sounds, say 'ja' when you more or less agree to signal to the other person to go on because you understood; tilt your head, wrinkle your brows, say 'also ...' or 'hmmmm?' to indicate you don't agree or don't understand, and when the other person pauses, ask for an explanation or say why you don't agree - little things like that help enormously. I can't explain it too well and I don't know how much difference there is between when you typically use such interjections and body language and when we do, but you'll figure it out with a bit of trial and error.

You explained it very well. That is excellent and very practical advice that lots of people can use. Thanks.

3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 27
20 July 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
My wife has had the experience that speaking German to staff in Berlin, and being asked if they could switch to English, since they don't speak German (usually Americans living in the City).

I didn't have the switching problem when I lived in Magdeburg, but then the older people had learnt Russian rather than English at school.

I usually start a conversation saying, in German, that my German is not great, which I apologise for, and of course if they prefer we could switch to English. They never switch to English and are always very happy that I am making the effort to speak German.
1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4416 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 12 of 27
09 August 2012 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
I have heard this argument before, that people in Germany automatically switch to English when confronted with less-than-perfect German. Mind you, this claim is often made by people whose German ought to far better than it actually is.....a learning avoidance strategy perhaps?

The ideas that Germans all speak great English and are desperate to practise English don't sit too well together either. Why would you be anxious to practise a language that you already spoke very well?

Personally, I've spent a fair amount of time in the former East Germany and I can confirm that if you speak a confident level of German then this fabled instant switch to English will almost never happen. I'm just back from a month in that part of the world and only one person requested that I speak English with him. I hesitated at a bakery stall over the name of some items, which prompted the line "Do you speak English?". But I ploughed on in German and he was happy to accept this.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the key is to be able to speak with a measure of confidence and to have your pronunciation at least approximately right. If you are clearly struggling with the language then an offer to continue in English will almost certainly be intended as a friendly request that would enable better communication, rather than withering contempt for you pitiful level of German.

That said, there are many people in the former GDR who speak very little English due to the fact that Russian was the principal foreign language taught in schools until the early 90s. Most people over the age of 35 will be delighted to hear you speak German.

I haven't been in the West quite so much. The level of English is much higher there but the fact that well-educated people tend to speak good English, doesn't imply that the whole population does. There are plenty of German people who did poorly at school or who have forgotten much of what they learned. There are people who think visitors to Germany should speak German.

Like in many other countries, most people aren't actually into languages and are happy to hear their own language spoken to a reasonable standard. Of course there are Germans who do indeed enjoy speaking English, some of whom have addressed me from the outset in English upon realising I am British and being unsure of my level of German. This doesn't bother me in any way. In the UK, I have started conversations with German people in German.

If your German is limited and someone suggests speaking English, explaining that you have come to Germany to improve your German usually does the trick. Most people respect this. Years ago, I arrived at a small Austrian hotel and attempted to check-in in German. I was lower intermediate level back then and the owner said it would be better to do the business transaction in English. But the next morning at breakfast he was happy to make smalltalk in German.

You can never define a nation's people by an attitude towards languages. You will meet all types in all lands.
5 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5013 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 13 of 27
09 August 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I solved this by getting a girl I barely knew from East Berlin to invite me to her home for a week, so that I got to practise lots of German.

Sounds like my kind of plan ;-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 14 of 27
17 August 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Well everyone auto-switching to English seems to be an exaggeration; I did have a lot of people staring at me for minutes while i try to put sentences together ( and not making much sense at all) in west Germany. Only time people seemed to switch to English is that they already know i can speak English ( better then German ) at uni etc.

And i understand totally when people get impatient when one approaches to them with their amazing A1-A2 German and talk nonsense ( well people think they do make sense but it usually does not work, most people consider their language in TL lot higher then it actually is just because they can respond to automated questions in language teaching programmes)

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 15 of 27
26 October 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Go to Bavaria, people there don't switch from German to English.
They switch from a Bavarian dialect to Bavarian Hochdeutsch. ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4545 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 16 of 27
26 October 2012 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
I only have much experience with the Ruhrgebiet and Köln/Bonn area, but I almost never had anyone want to
switch to English with me there, and I was no higher than A2 when I got there. I had a monolingual English friend
visit while I was living in the area, and it didn't seem like many people were capable of switching to English outside
of the touristy part of Cologne. When I got bogged down speaking, they were more likely to just get really
frustrated than switch to English.

I've only been in Berlin for a few days, but English seemed to be a pretty commonly spoken language there and the
majority of people willing to at least try to speak it with you (I was travelling with non-german speaking friends).
The whole myth of Germans all speaking good English and switching to English at the slightest mistake just doesn't
seem to be true at all, but I could see how it might be the case in Berlin.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version