Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6595 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 31
10 January 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Brilliant! So much easier to read as well this way.
1 person has voted this message useful

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4744 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 18 of 31
11 January 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
In china we have a proverb 一目十行, which means "read ten lines at a glance", indicating that people can read fast. I opened this thread mainly because I read something in a chinese forum about the nature of chinese, heres the translation: one can read ten lines at a glance in chinese, but if one tries to glance ten lines in languages of the latin family, he will miss a lot of information (which I will not miss in chinese). That chinese characters reflect the meanings instead of phonetics is the advantage of chinese.....well well well.

Edited by lindseylbb on 11 January 2012 at 12:52pm

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4744 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English

Message 19 of 31
11 January 2012 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
For some weird reasons I cant edit it on my cellphone. Forgive my grammar...

Edited by lindseylbb on 11 January 2012 at 12:55pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 20 of 31
11 January 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
lindseylbb wrote:
That chinese characters reflect the meanings instead of phonetics is the advantage of chinese.....well well well.

I think you underestimate the English orthography's reflection of meaning and overestimate that of Chinese. In English, words that are pronounced the same are often written differently, such as "nose" and "knows". This reflects that they are two different words, much like Chinese uses different characters for morphemes that are pronounced the same, as in 人 and 仁. Chinese also often uses the same character for two different morphemes, such as the 花 in 花钱 and the 花 in 花园. This is similar to how English sometimes uses the same spelling for different words, like how the "train" in "train harder" is different from the "train" in "subway train". In these ways, Chinese writing and English writing are alike. The main differene is that Chinese "spelling" uses hundreds of different elements that can be combined in a two-dimensional structure, whereas English uses only 26 elements combined in a one-dimensional structure. This means Chinese is a lot more compact, but it also means it's a lot harder to learn and remember, as well as some other downsides (such as the difficulties of coining new words, writing foreign sounds and inputting the language into a computer).

Now, there's another difference that consists in the fact that Chinese uses certain elements that are wholly unrelated to phonetics, even historically. Certain elements in English spelling (such as the 'k' in "knows") are unrelated to current phonetics, but reflect earlier pronunciations. This is similar to how Chinese sometimes uses phonetic elements in characters even though they don't represent the current pronunciation of the character in some modern Chinese languages. But some elements, such as the grass radical in 花, has never had any relation to the phonetics, but are rather related to the meaning of the character's morpheme. However, the amount of information that can be drawn from this part of the character is very small. If it has a grass radical, it probably has something to do with plants (but maybe not, as in 花钱).

For the purpose of gaining a quick understanding of a text, this difference between Chinese and English writing is pretty minimal. At the most, by scanning the page, if you see a lot of grass radicals, it probably has something to do with plants. Both English and Chinese has unique symbols that are tied to specific morphemes. The English "knows" isn't simply a phonetic representation of the sound; it's a unique symbol of a specific morpheme, different from other symbols that represent morphemes that sound exactly the same. The meaning of these symbols can only be interpreted if you know the word, just like you cannot guess the meaning of a Chinese character with any accuracy unless you know the morpheme it represents.

The idea that Chinese characters represent the "meaning" of words rather than their pronunciation is, if not false, then at least only true to a very small degree. Chinese characters are not logographs, they're not symbolic writing. This is a popular misconception amongst both westerners and Chinese. If you want a technical term, I've seen them named "morphosyllabic", but y'know, whatever.
7 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4677 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 21 of 31
11 January 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I think that the key issue here is that most people probably believe that their own native language is the "best" language for one "reason" or another, when the real reason is their own familiarity with their native language.

In the time it would take me to learn Chinese well enough to read at a glance I could probably read a thousand novels in English. (2 novels a week for ten years). Does that mean that English is a thousand times faster to read than Chinese? No. It means that English is a thousand times faster for me to read than Chinese.

For non-native speakers the most important issue is not how fast can a native speaker read, but how fast a non-native speaker can learn to read as well as a native speaker? In that department Chinese is probably one of the worst languages in the world in terms of amount of effort required to learn each individual new word.

2 persons have voted this message useful

IronFist
United States
Joined 6249 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 22 of 31
11 January 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I am a native English speaker.

I read words by their "shapes" rather than by sounding them out. I can also use this to "cheat" and read words on signs that are too far away and I cannot see each individual letter, but I know what the word is from its shape.

That being said, I am a terribly slow reader. I have to actually say everything in my head as I am reading, so I read at about the same speed I talk. But I think that's because I have OCD and have to do it that way.

They tried to teach us speed reading in high school. Even doing the exercises and stuff, my retention rate (while speed reading) was very low. My retention rate during normal reading is pretty high.

I have no problem reading out loud. I can even read out loud very fast if I am skimming something to somebody. But my maximum reading speed is limited by how quickly I can say the words in my head. It sucks! I recognize that this is probably a neurological limitation of OCD and NOT a limitation of the English language.

I have a few friends who read extremely quickly. I'm always impressed.

Edited by IronFist on 11 January 2012 at 11:15pm

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5220 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 23 of 31
13 January 2012 at 3:04am | IP Logged 

vs.

One million, nine hundred and fourty-six thousand, eight hundred and twenty-two.

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5508 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 24 of 31
13 January 2012 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Sandman wrote:

vs.

One million, nine hundred and fourty-six thousand, eight hundred and twenty-two.

Yes, because a positional symbolic number system is the exact same thing as Chinese
characters. Exactly.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version