Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4744 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 1 of 31
09 January 2012 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
I always think chinese is a unique language because it uses characters. Not much language do that in the modern world. Using characters we chinese can roughly understand a paragraph with a single glance, in several seconds and sometimes even less than a second, then we can catch the point or find what we need pretty soon. It's said that because mandarin combines the characters with meaning, people can read fast etc. and that languages using alphabet cant do that. They are codes so they have to function as chains.. I dont know if I get myself clear with my broken English. I cant read English as fast as I read chinese or catch the main idea through glance. I am not that good at English of course, but is there anything to do with the nature of language using alphabets? Can native speakers do the glance thing?

Edited by lindseylbb on 09 January 2012 at 2:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 31
09 January 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
lindseylbb wrote:
Can native speakers do the glance thing?

Yup. Nobody who's good at their language read out the letters. Natives recognise the shape of the word, pretty
much the same way Chinese recognise characters.
10 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 31
09 January 2012 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Chinese probably has an advantage because of being so compact, but it's definitely possible to read a lot at a glance in languages with alphabets.

I occasionally read a lot at a glance even in Cyrillic, which I only learned to read a couple of years ago. It's an everyday occurrence for me in languages I read well (all of which use the Latin alphabet I first learned, essentially).

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 31
09 January 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
If you can speedread then I suppose you can "read at a glance" - you certainly don't have time to spell each word and even less to read each word aloud. One central point in speedreading is that you run down a page while fixating at a limited number of points, and then you absorb what is there before skipping to the next point. Only beginners have to read word after word.

Edited by Iversen on 09 January 2012 at 11:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 31
09 January 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I would imagine that initially learning Chinese or any character-based written system is probably easier to learn than an alphabet system.

Since I'm learning Georgian this year, I'm going through the very child-like motions of sounding out every word I read. It's frustrating for an adult, because while I'm comfortable with the alphabet at this point, I'm a long way off from recognising whole words and their shapes, as Ari points out.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 09 January 2012 at 4:30pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 6 of 31
09 January 2012 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I believe it's the same in both languages, but since Chinese is more compact both in size and in grammar (fewer grammar words), it's usually faster to glance Chinese. If you try shorter and more familiar English words and put them closer to each other, I believe you could glance just as fast as you do Chinese.

How
are
you
?

Bye
bye.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 31
09 January 2012 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
I would find it easier to read the text in this way:

How are you ?    Bye bye.

For illustrative purposes I have marked two fixating points. On a normal line in a normal book 2-4 fixating points should be enough in your native or another wellknown language. In less wellknown languages it may be necessary to read 'packages' of just one or two words, and with an new alphabet you may have to spell each word out.

SO what about the vertical dimension? As I said I don't read smallwhite's arrangement as well as the more traditional one above, though this might be the result of less training. However when I read linewise I do notice the upcoming lines below, and even though I don't read them consciously there may be an gain in reading speed because of the unconscious preparation. This hypothesis could theoretically be tested by letting a piece of paper with a cut-out area slide down the page, but I suspect that the unaccostumed and forced arrangement and the problem of choosing the correct speed would mean an unrealistic slow reading speed.   

Edited by Iversen on 09 January 2012 at 11:48pm

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4834 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 31
10 January 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
OP: As a native speaker of English, yes I can read 99.9% of things with a meer glance, as if my brain has proccesed it pretty much instantly. That goes for words and most sentences, but no, definetly not whole paragraphs at a time, I have to scan line by line.

That sounds like a very interesting feature of the Chinese alphabet, that one is able to do that so fast!

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version