Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4505 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 9 of 439
11 January 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I must say "shame on me" for not being so hard with my studies this week. My wife is now working at home, through the internet, and I must say it doesn't help my studies a lot =P

Anyway, some minimal progress was achieved since my last update, let's go to it:

DUTCH:

Today I've completed the 31th lesson from the Assimil Dutch With Ease. A little harder than the last one, but again, there were only 2 new words I didn't know ("tekenen" and "breed"). The listening part was also easy! Yay to me! =)

The "new vocabulary words" from this lesson:

(het) portret - portrait
tekenen - to draw
(het) oog - eye
(het) oor - ear
verbaasd - amazed, astonished
verbazen - to amaze, to astonish
(de) verbazing - amazement, astonishment
breed - wide
bijzonder - specially, particularly
(de) mond - mouth
(de) tong - tong
(de) broer - brother

I've also spoken to Dutch friends and new people on Livemocha chat, and I almost never used Google Translate! I'm really happy about it, but I still haven't ever talked in Dutch with my voice (to a person), so I'm still a little frightened of it.

RUSSIAN:

Not much actually. I read a new chapter from one of my books. In my opinion this is the best one! It's called "The New Penguin Russian Course", and it gives you a very strong grammatical basis, also encouraging your reading habilities, since the texts of the lessons get harder and harder.

The lesson was a quite easy one, about the use of "не" in a phrase, and how it can change it. Strange thing, in the book they said that if you have a phrase:

1 - Я люблю новые книги. (I love new books)

It's in the accusative case, right? But when you put a "не" there, it should change the object to the genitive case:

2 - Я не люблю новых книг. (I don't love new books")

Since I had never heard about it before, I asked my wife, and she said it is indeed correct, but NO ONE uses it in spoken language. Either her, her parents, people on TV would always use the accusative case, and say:

3 - Я не люблю новые книги. (I don't love new books")

Good to know! Anyway, that was pretty much it, and I've learned some new words, being the most important the verbs: расти/вырасти (to grow).

ENGLISH:

I think English was the most important "language" for me this week, because I made a decision! I know I would never study English for serious if I hadn't a strong motivation, because I feel already "comfortable" with my level in it, but I want to improve!
About 6 years ago I sat for an exam called FCE, and passed. It's the B2 level exam from Cambridge. Now I want to go for the higher exams! I think it will be a great motivation booster, since I'll "need" to study for it! And that's where I have a little doubt:
Should I sit for the CAE (C1 level) or the CPE (C2 level) already? I can sit for any of them either in June or December. I'm looking for advice with this, what do you think guys?

Uffff! Sorry for the long post! That's all, folks! =)

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 11 January 2012 at 3:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5124 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 439
11 January 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:

The lesson was a quite easy one, about the use of "не" in a phrase, and how it can change it. Strange thing, in the book they said that if you have a phrase:

1 - Я люблю новые книги. (I love new books)

It's in the accusative case, right? But when you put a "не" there, it should change the object to the genitive case:

2 - Я не люблю новых книг. (I don't love new books")

Since I had never heard about it before, I asked my wife, and she said it is indeed correct, but NO ONE uses it in spoken language. Either her, her parents, people on TV would always use the accusative case, and say:

3 - Я не люблю новые книги. (I don't love new books")

About 6 years ago I sat for an exam called FCE, and passed. It's the B2 level exam from Cambridge. Now I want to go for the higher exams! I think it will be a great motivation booster, since I'll "need" to study for it! And that's where I have a little doubt:
Should I sit for the CAE (C1 level) or the CPE (C2 level) already? I can sit for any of them either in June or December. I'm looking for advice with this, what do you think guys?

Uffff! Sorry for the long post! That's all, folks! =)

On the Russian negation I was really surprised to hear that the genetive is not actually used. Every learning material I have ever used said to use genetive, I had no idea that it was redundant in speech.

As for the English exam I would go for the C2 level exam. Your English is strong.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 11 of 439
11 January 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Genetive is used in some situations. Sometimes it is obligatory: with нет, ни одного
(ой), ни. На небе - ни облачка. Yes, but accusative is much more freqent.
Textbooks write about it because it is obligatory in some situations and because if you
find it some where you will be very surprized.

Edited by Марк on 11 January 2012 at 6:36pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 439
11 January 2012 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Yeah the genitive is such a mess. I use it too much (due to the influence of the Finnish partitive) and got this marked as a mistake in my final essay at high school.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4505 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 13 of 439
16 January 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Good DUTCH news! =)

Talking with my friends, I found out that one of them had the Michel Thomas Dutch CD's! I told him to give me right away! Ahahaha
So I converted all the CD's to .mp3 and sent them to my cellphone, this way I can study while at work or at the bus... it's being really nice!

So far I've listened to all the first 5 CD's, and I was happy to notice that until the middle of the 4th one, I knew EVERY SINGLE THING! YAY! =D From then on, it got a little more complicated with the grammar (and about 2/3 new words I didn't know), but I also knew pretty much everything! =) Tomorrow I'll start CD number 6.

I've found this Michel Thomas method VERY useful for beginners, and also for low (and even upper) intermediates like me, because it made grammar easier and clearer for me in so many points! I would really recommend it for everyone!

All the first 5 CD's would do about 6 hours of study, in 3 days! Too bad they don't have the Advanced Dutch =/
Also, I wish I had the MT for Russian, both Foundation and Advanced levels. Would be great to practice my Russian grammar.

So, that's all for today! =)

PS: How can I lose the "MICROTAG" from all my posts? It's starting to annoy me =P

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 16 January 2012 at 8:25pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5124 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 439
16 January 2012 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Great Dutch news! And once you know English and Dutch it would be a piece of cake to pick up one of the Scandinavian languages, if you ever wanted to.

As for the microtag thing it has annoyed me for a full year. If someone knows how to get rid of it, I would be very grateful too!

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4836 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 15 of 439
17 January 2012 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:

True, I don't think it's used a lot. It feels passive, like passive voice in English.
But it is mandatory and in some situations even preferred. For example:

Никого/меня/его/их/Феди не было дома.
вместо
Никто/я/он/они/Федя не был дома.

I hope I got my example right -- it's correct Russian, I'm just not familiar with English terminology of conjugations in Russian language.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4505 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 16 of 439
17 January 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Great Dutch news! And once you know English and Dutch it would be a piece of cake to pick up one of the Scandinavian languages, if you ever wanted to.

Great to hear it, Cristina! Yes, I would love to! In fact, I'm thinking of starting with Norwegian or Swedish after I finish with Dutch and the CPE exam.
You convinced me that Norwegian is probably the best option between the Scandinavian languages, but I'm worried about the fact that the population of Sweden is twice the one from Norway, and I'd be able to speak with more people. Am I making any sense? Ahahaha

Anyway, thanks for the post! =)

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 18 January 2012 at 9:43pm

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version