Joined 4770 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 9 of 27
04 December 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
Compare that to the situation with Irish. Since nearly all Irish
people speak English they don't really need the Irish language unless they live in a
Gaeltacht, so there is little incentive for the residents of Dublin and Cork to get fully
proficient in it or use it in their daily lives.

My friend that lives in Dublin knows Irish, but I think he was taught it in school...I
think he uses it in daily life too as there plenty of signs and stuff in the language
over there. However I bet if he left Dublin he would never use it at all.

That was a very interesting clip too and it was nice to see she was rewarded for her
efforts!
1 person has voted this message useful

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4714 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: German

Message 10 of 27
06 December 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Keeping languages like Irish Gaelic, Latin, Sanskrit are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo important to us as cultures. It's mere laziness to let rich, deep and important aspects of our collective culture to die.

Latin is still spoken, and if Terentius has any kids (or has already) they will surely be raised in Latin, and his many, many students are fluent in Latin and could part that as well.
3 persons have voted this message useful

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4681 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 11 of 27
06 December 2011 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
I want to see Latin come back from the dead D:.

Cotidie apud my.

Every day at my house.

On a more on-topic note, Wampanoag has an interesting nugget of American history tied to it: the first Bibles
printed in what would become the United States were in a language related to Wampanoag (or even maybe
Wampanoag itself--but I don't know enough about it to say anything certain).

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5155 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 12 of 27
09 December 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
fomalhaut wrote:
Keeping languages like Irish Gaelic, Latin, Sanskrit are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo important to us as cultures. It's mere laziness to let rich, deep and important aspects of our collective culture to die.

Latin is still spoken, and if Terentius has any kids (or has already) they will surely be raised in Latin, and his many, many students are fluent in Latin and could part that as well.

You can't really be "fluent" in Latin in social situations due to it not using modern words. D: It's a pitty that Latin never managed to survive as a daily spoken language.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 13 of 27
09 December 2011 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
You can't really be "fluent" in Latin in social situations due to it not using modern words.

Of course it does. There are plenty of people who have been making up words in Latin for modern concepts.

Quote:
It's a pitty that Latin never managed to survive as a daily spoken language.

If Latin didn't manage to survive as a daily spoken language, then neither did English, Chinese, or any other language. Latin survived as a daily spoken language in Italy, France, Spain, Romania and other places. It changed, of course, but so did every other language ever, so you can't really hold that against it.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 27
09 December 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
I regularly write in Latin and would also be able to keep a simple conversation in the language, but I have really had no chances to use it (except in a couple Youtube videos). However the problem is not really the lack of words for modern things because they can and will be created if you need them. Some dictionaries and wordlists have proposals for most things you might need, and there are internet pages which do manage to discuss modern science, culture and politics in Latin. The problem is at nobody really needs Latin - everybody has another native language, and learning Latin on top of that will essentially be something you do as a hobby (maybe as a challenge to prove that it can be done).

It is true that Latin gives you access to an immense literature spanning several thousand years and comprising both fiction and non fiction. But it will not be easy to convince the average couch potato or Justin Bieber fan about the values of classical Roman poetry or agricultural methods in ancient Rome. And let's not be sentimental: Latin gained its position through slaughtering and suppressing other language communities - the moral difference between the Aeneid and Mein Kampf is not as big as some might think. But those atrocities happened long ago, and you can't turn the wheels back. What you have now is an immensely interesting cultural and lingustic Latin sphere which can be a fine hobby for those who can find the time to spend on it. And this is actually the same situation as Esperantists face. But the Latin community could maybe learn something from the organization around Esperanto.

Hebrew reappeared in a community under pressure and became the main language of a country because of some specific historical circumstances. There is nothing that suggests that any other language will be resurrected soon because of similar circumstances. And the other resurrection projects, like those of Manx and Cornish are doomed to be movements which operate under the same kind of constraints as for instance minor sports or other specialty interests. In some cases they will receive public support because they reinforce the historical sense in a community, and in some cases there will be academical posts available, but I don't see any of these movements becoming a mass movement soon.

So those who really are interested in the languages involved would do well to organize themselves in non-localized communities based on modern electronical media and easy transport instead of expecting that their neighbours will turn off Xfactor and start studying Latin or Irish..   

Edited by Iversen on 21 December 2011 at 1:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4714 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: German

Message 15 of 27
09 December 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
non-localized communities based on modern electronical media and easy transport

classical Latin lives today because of this very reason, or at least, to the degree it does.

I love when people say "Latin's dead" ; no it's not, it's living everywhere, just under different social, political, historical and other conditions. The living dialects of Latin became languages of their own, with their own histories and peculariaties.

The 'pure' (classical) form of Latin was artificially, hermetically sealed to not change as the linguistic environment changes as it does.

Quote:
the Latin community could maybe learn something from the organization around Esperanto.

How so? I am interested in Latin revival movements, and the surge in the past few decades of Latinaphiles, there are probably more Latin speakers and writers (i'm not talking Newton's here, just literate) today than since the 18th century. Vicipedia, entire oral courses, communities, Romae Novae, etc. The University of Kentucky has Latin intensive courses which have been quite, quite successful. The desire for us to get in contact with our common linguistic past IS there, but the means and methods for the past century had effectively killed Latin as anything more than a pedantic, philogical or classicist task. New pedagogical treatments of Latin as more than a math system or however dry, lifeless method it was taught in the, let's say German Gymnasiums, have been thrown on the way side.

And your comment on "justin bieber couch potatoes" really applies to everything that requires motivation and work, not just something as 'esoteric' as classical Latin.

Edited by fomalhaut on 09 December 2011 at 1:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4583 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 16 of 27
09 December 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
fomalhaut wrote:
I love when people say "Latin's dead" ; no it's not, it's living everywhere, just under different social, political, historical and other conditions. The living dialects of Latin became languages of their own, with their own histories and peculariaties.

The 'pure' (classical) form of Latin was artificially, hermetically sealed to not change as the linguistic environment changes as it does.
There is a difference between dead and extinct languages. Any language that no longer has native speakers is a dead language. An extinct language is a language whose native speakers have died out with their descendants having switched to another language that had not evolved out of the previous one. Latin never went extinct, but it is dead, with the modern Romance languages as its living descendants.

Edit: After I finished typing that post I started doubting what I wrote from memory, so I did some googling. Looks like my definitions are a bit off - the consensus seems to be that languages are dead, rather than extinct, if they are not used for everyday oral communication, but are still known and have uses in specific contexts, usually in written form. In this sense Latin, Sanskrit, Coptic and Hebrew before Ben-Yehuda all qualify as dead languages, while Old English is arguably extinct. But my point was that the continued existence and evolution of the Romance languages does not make Latin a living language, since all modern Romance languages are so different from Classical Latin that they can be considered separate languages.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 09 December 2011 at 2:35pm

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version