translator2
United States
Joined 6718 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 27
27 November 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Wampanoag Language

I saw this documentary on PBS. It was fascinating. Before learning the language of her ancestors, she reportedly had a dream in which people were speaking to her in that language. They kept repeating one particular word/phrase that she later learned meant "We still live here."

Then there were the handwritten notes in the language describing the impact of the diseases brought from Europe, the loss of their land, etc.

She went to graduate school to study linguistics (under professor Ken Hale) in order to revive the language. She is truly a remarkable woman.

Excerpt from the documentary: We still live here

Edited by translator2 on 27 November 2011 at 7:18pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4777 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 27
27 November 2011 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Captivating, simply captivating. It's great to learn that a language has been given the chance to be revived. Makes me want to learn Wampanoag.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6381 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 27
27 November 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
That's really awesome! So wonderful to find languages that go against the trend. I'm a bit sceptical of the
romanticism ("The sun is inanimate, therefore our people knew that the earth revolves around the sun"), and the
newsreader's dead eyes freak me out, but those are minor details in an otherwise wonderful clip.

mjhowie1992
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4979 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 27
04 December 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
I suppose Hebrew was nearly at this stage at one point. I haven't read much about how Hebrew nearly died, and
then underwent the great revival, so is anybody able to fill me in on how this all happened?

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4571 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 5 of 27
04 December 2011 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
mjhowie1992 wrote:
I suppose Hebrew was nearly at this stage at one point. I haven't read much about how Hebrew nearly died, and
then underwent the great revival, so is anybody able to fill me in on how this all happened?
The situation with Hebrew was never that dire. While it stopped being the native language of the Jews around the 2nd century AD it was still taught in religious institutions and used for the writing of and commentary on religious literature, prayers and correspondence between religious scholars of Judaism across different Jewish communities. All Jews with a religious upbringing (who were probably the majority of all Jews in the 19th century, when Eliezer Ben-Yehuda started his work on the revival of spoken Hebrew) had at least some understanding of Hebrew. It has been said that "Before Ben‑Yehuda Jews could speak Hebrew; after him, they did."

Perhaps a significant reason why the revival of Hebrew was such a success, was the fact that it was the only language that was common to all Jewish communities. Not all Jews had Yiddish as their first language, so nation building would have been more problematic if it were chosen as the national language. Compare that to the situation with Irish. Since nearly all Irish people speak English they don't really need the Irish language unless they live in a Gaeltacht, so there is little incentive for the residents of Dublin and Cork to get fully proficient in it or use it in their daily lives. This actually makes me wonder if the Hebrew revival project could have succeeded if it was launched now, rather than a century ago - could it have out-competed English as the lingua franca of a more internationalized and secularized Jewry?

Another interesting aspect of language revival is the effect the first languages of the "revivers" have on the revived language. There is a controversial viewpoint in Hebrew linguistics that Modern Hebrew is not the same language as Biblical Hebrew. Paul Wexler argues that it's an Indo-European language relexified with Semitic words, while Ghil'ad Zuckermann argues that it is a hybrid language - http://www.zuckermann.org/mosaic.html

Edited by vonPeterhof on 04 December 2011 at 11:53am

5 persons have voted this message useful

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5143 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 6 of 27
04 December 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
I want to see Latin come back from the dead D:.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6458 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 7 of 27
04 December 2011 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
I want to see Latin come back from the dead D:.

Si voles, discendum est, acime ;). Though, I do not think that there’s somewhere where that is very likely to
happen.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4571 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 8 of 27
04 December 2011 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Apparently this has been done with Sanskrit in some places - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHLIy-WHDew
And there are more villages like that - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanskrit_revival

However, I am not sure about the value of Sanskrit in modern Indian culture and how that compares to the greatly diminished value of Latin in modern Western cultures, so I cannot tell whether or not this can be viewed as a precedent.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version