Russian Federation
Joined 4845 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 17 of 24
27 April 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
benzionisrael wrote:

But I really doubt that the very devout christians who you speak of really "accept" homosexuality. If you are talking about liberal christianity which has distanced itself from the gospel and transformed itself into a liberal philosophy you might find "christians" who truly accept homosexuality and view it in a positive light. Bible believing christians however would never "accept" homosexuality as something positive because doing so would contradict what the Bible says. Some devout Bible believing christians do tolerate and treat civilly homosexual people, because they do not want to be responsible for judging others and want to show the Lord´s love to all, but that doesn´t mean that they truly accept homosexuality. Tolerate and accept are by no means synonimous.

I went to a large, "top" Catholic high school in the US. One of my religion teachers was gay. He did not prance around proclaiming it, but he did not really try to make a secret out of it. My other religion teacher had us watch Saved! in class, a movie that in part deals with the bigotry and hypocrisy of Christians who do not accept [adolescent] homosexuality. Another religion teacher, also gay, was ordained as a priest during my time there. We did have a few teachers who made homophobic remarks, but we also had teachers who punished the students who made such remarks.

So please do not monopolize the Bible. There are Christians out there who truly accept homosexuality.

Edited by espejismo on 27 April 2012 at 10:24pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5761 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 24
28 April 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Please keep this thread on topic.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 24
28 April 2012 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
Since I just came back from Spain, where one of my gay friends had to take early retirement because of
nerve problems due to all the hatred he had been exposed to as a young man, I would not deny that there
are in many countries discrimination against gays. Sometimes I wonder though, whether religion is just used
as an excuse for people who are bigots. It is easier to say "my religion says so" than admit to
discrimination. The thing worth noticing though, is that most of the people who are behaving badly towards
gays, are not exactly towers of virtue themselves. Besides, for every time the Bible condemns gays, I can
find just as many passages that speaks of the importance of love, tolerance and forgiveness. I can also find
passages which condemn a lot of other things, so I have never quite understood why the adulterer could sit
in the front row in the church, while the gay guy is condemned. Either we come down like a ton of bricks on
all "sins" - and then not many of us would go free - or we take note of the fact that societies evolve in 2000
years. But again, my mantra is that this is a question of society norms, and not of religion. The ones that are
responsible for hate crimes, rarely go to Sunday mass...
6 persons have voted this message useful

Rykketid
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4627 days ago

88 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: French

Message 20 of 24
16 July 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
When I wanted to learn Arabic I chatted with many Arab guys and girls and no one of
them
could really understand how a person could be atheist or agnostic. It was like telling
them
that people can breathe without oxygen. On the other hand they showed much respect
towards all religions, with the exception of a guy from Bahrain that, when I told him
that I was Christian, he got a bit surprised and then he replied: <<you should read
what's written about Christians in the Quran>> I guess there aren't nice words about
Christians in the Quran...

Now that I've switched to Hebrew I still have to test the water. I think that Israelis
and all Jews in general have a much more western liberal culture (except for the ultra-
orthodox), the only thing that sometimes pisses me off is that they claim to be God's
chosen people...

Edited by Rykketid on 17 July 2012 at 10:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

KayJane
United States
Joined 4312 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 21 of 24
24 July 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
For me, being an American has had a profound effect on my outlook on other countries and cultures.
Living in the United States, I have been called many racially derogatory names and dozens of people
have commented about and even touched my hair as though I was on display in one of those horrific
human zoos. Being a minority in my place of residence has, I believe, really thickened my skin, so I am
less deterred by discrimination. A lot of discrimination is driven by preconceived notions about a certain
group, so I don't try to dwell on what people might think. I will, however, exercise caution if I know that
a large part of the discrimimation involves widespread violence.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4433 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 22 of 24
24 July 2012 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
I'll try to return to the topic, and must say that for me, the question of discrimination or prejudice in a culture has never put me off studying a language. Now personally (maybe because I am a white male) I have never felt discriminated in any culture, and I might have felt differently if I had been the subject of discrimination or being treated badly in a specific culture. If you want to try and understand a culture, including its negative aspects, the best way to do that is to learn the language.

Somewhat similar to this question is the fact that some will not want to learn a language because of historical or political issues. For instance, in my parents' generation in Norway some people would refuse anything German because of the Nazi occupation of Norway during the Second World War. They would even feel bad if they heard German being spoken.

Tuco
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 4306 days ago

17 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French

Message 23 of 24
25 July 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Sometimes I wonder though, whether religion is just used
as an excuse for people who are bigots. It is easier to say "my religion says so" than
admit to
discrimination.

It's a vicious cycle, really. Antique African religions, at least a few Native America
religions, old Japan, old China, ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, ancient Rome - none of
those had any trouble with homosexuality. Bigotry does seem to have been disseminated
by the
book religions.

Yes, religion and bigotry don't always walk hand in hand - however, this pattern is a
safe assumption at first glance. At least extremely religious people (who aren't that
rare, depending on where you go).

That said, my target languages are all from places I admire to some degree - and being
a civilized, tolerant place is a huge factor in my book. I live in a liberal
city (better said: neighborhood) myself and I can't imagine living anywhere I might be
illegal or frowned upon by pretty much everyone. No, thank you.

True, Italy is one of the most religious and the one which offers
the least legal protection of the LGBT among Western Europe. Nevertheless, my sister is
a rather activist atheist over there and she gets along pretty well with her much
catholic friends. It's worth mentioning it's a very small town, where
zealotry would be the most expected. I don't know my sister's friends' stance on
homosexuality, but I don't think it should be any different.

On the other hand, Brazil, where same-sex civil partnership has been judicially
recognized as of 2011, is
the place which displays the most homophobic homicides in the world. I'm not really
sure if that's in absolute numbers or proportion to the LGBT population (probably the
former). To my knowledge, that data has been mentioned by UN. So - although the
enforced laws are a clue, it's not always in tune with reality.

Sorry for the overall long post.

Edited by Tuco on 25 July 2012 at 12:07am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4305 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 24 of 24
28 August 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

It's a vicious cycle, really. Antique African religions, at least a few Native America
religions, old Japan, old China, ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, ancient Rome - none of
those had any trouble with homosexuality. Bigotry does seem to have been disseminated
by the
book religions.

That's partially true, but not accurate. The example which is commonly given is the Greek culture. But Ancient Greeks didn't respect 'passive gay men', and they hardly respect 'active gay men' too, who were tolerated just in some situations.

Anyway, and to end up this off-topic before giving my opinion about the real topic here, I think that homosexual discrimination makes simply nonsense. I mean, the reasons of those who don't accept it are based on the 'fact' that homosexuality isn't natural. But it isn't true because of two simple facts.
- First, there are evidences of homosexual behaviour in monkeys and other animals. Here I'm not counting the behaviour which 'looks' homosexual but it isn't (dog males, who seem to fornicate while they aren't penetrating each other indeed).
- Second, human sexuality is a lot different from all the animals, and there are a huge amount of books which deals with it. Positions, behaviour, circumstances and even reasons to have sex differ from animals. Why on the Earth all that stuff are natural and homosexuality are not?

And now my opinion of the topic. Guys, if you really love a language, take it!! Is needed another reason, really? I think there's no real problem if someone want to have a stay in the country, even a sojourn. Certainly, it's different if you actually want to really live for a long time there, but then the language is just one factor of the question among many others to consider.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version