Diglot
United States
Joined 6878 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 24
23 November 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Oftentimes our studies of foreign languages will take us outside of our comfortable Western liberal democracies
and into countries where very different values from ours are common. There are many foreign cultures that are
hostile to women, to gays, or to people of certain religions or ethnicities. Has anyone ever been in a situation
where love for a language conflicted with discomfort in the TL's country / culture?

For example, I spent a year studying Mandarin in China, where homosexuality is not generally accepted. (Some
Chinese teenagers are becoming more accepting, but on the whole it's not a welcoming environment.) For the
whole year, I stayed in the closet as not to strain relations with my Chinese teachers, friends, and host family.
Whenever homophobic views were expressed, I felt uncomfortable. My love for Mandarin was tested by China's
apparent unwillingness to accept me.

Have any of you had similar experiences, due to race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, etc.? How
do you reconcile the fact that you love the language with the discrimination you are subjected to by that language's
culture?
5 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6453 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 24
23 November 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
My interest lies mostly in languages that are dead, thus however violently opposing my persona the culture of it
might be, that does not pose any problem. Most of them had slavery, torture, capital punishment &c. &. that does
not comply at all with the modern world we live in today.

Nevertheless I’ve come to understand that foreigners to some degree usually can surpass what would normally be
accepted just because they are just that, foreigners. Being gay myself though I would not happily travel to a
country where my lovemaking were illegal — but I can definitely see myself studying a language of such a country.
I don’t see traveling, nor revealing personal details, as something imperative. Too be disturbingly honest and rude I
find Sweden, where I live, to be the best place to be, and would rather not move hence.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 24
23 November 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
I can't say I have ever felt discriminated against directly, but as a woman you do meet different views about what you can and cannot do, the further away you get from Scandinavia.

I was a bit surprised though, when I was in Ukraine on a language course, and found out that the American military men who were at the same school as I were warned that Ukraine was not a good country for students of African American background.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 24
23 November 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Not being in your situation, I cannot speak to what the consequences would have been had you openly expressed -- or at least not repressed or hidden -- your orientation, but I'd encourage anyone to be themselves insofar as it remains safe to do so. There are always open-minded people wherever you are. One shouldn't have to hide. Moreover, as a foreigner, more is usually permitted and you could even further advance the situation of other homosexuals.

Edited by Arekkusu on 23 November 2011 at 9:04pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5341 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 24
24 November 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
I only learn one language and do so because I first liked the culture. I learn the language to help when I travel there. I doubt very much that I would ever learn a language of a country who's culture I did not agree with and could not embrace.

Jim
2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5258 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 6 of 24
24 November 2011 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
This is a very interesting topic and one that I have thought about a lot myself. I am
hugely fascinated by Eastern European countries and languages, and I have spent a lot
of time in that part of the world. However, I am also gay, and although these
countries do not impose legal restrictions on homosexuality, neither are they known for
their tolerance.

While living in both Russia and Poland, I ended up coming out as I just found it too
tiresome to be constantly lying and hiding, and despite some rather weird comments from
my Russian friends as they tried to reconcile their prejudices with their like of me as
a person, I have never found myself in any trouble.

Now I live in Japan, which is a lot easier, not because Japanese people are
particularly liberal and open-minded, but simply thanks to the almost total lack of
machismo which is such a blight on so many cultures.

I do sometimes think I should have gone for Swedish, or Dutch, or just stayed at home
(!) and made things easier for myself, but hey, who wants an easy life? Much more fun
to take a few small risks, and challenge yourself and the perceptions of people around
you.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 24 November 2011 at 2:24pm

14 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 7 of 24
24 November 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
but hey, who wants an easy life?

Me.
...Says a person, who studies Bulgarian and Persian and learns Macedonian and Chinese.

xander.XVII
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4848 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 8 of 24
28 November 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
No, never.
This isn't due to particular open-minded people I've come across, but to the fact that I've visited just few countries in which I
have been living long enough to be discriminated in any way.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version