linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 67
27 October 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
futurianus wrote:
He then chooses the following six languages with the ones in the bracket as his optional choices:
-English
-Spanish(French)
-Mandarin(Japanese)
-Hindi(Tamil)
-Arabic
-Turkish(Uzebek)

That's not a great coverage of the world's language, because half your first choices are Indo-European languages.

You're missing a lot of linguistic concepts from your list.
There's no clicks and no ergative/absolutive languages. No sign languages. No languages that start with a verb.

If you want something called "omniglotism" then (given that knowing literally every language is impossible) then you're going to need to get a palette of linguistic features that can be recombined to cover every possible permutation of language. The "major" languages are all too simple to be an efficient way of doing so.

9 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 10 of 67
28 October 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
You're missing a lot of linguistic concepts from your list.
There's no clicks and no ergative/absolutive languages. No sign languages. No languages that start with a verb.

If you want something called "omniglotism" then (given that knowing literally every language is impossible) then you're going to need to get a palette of linguistic features that can be recombined to cover every possible permutation of language. The "major" languages are all too simple to be an efficient way of doing so.

Also, since we are discussing planetary linguistics and the impressions of an extra-planetary visitor, it bears noting that in many respects, insects are the dominant life form on earth.   For sure from a numerical perspective, by a long shot. I am deeply troubled by the speciesism inherent in a list of only human languages, though perhaps Cainntear's reference to clicks could cover off not just the relevant African languages, but a small corner of our insect overlords.
5 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4790 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 11 of 67
28 October 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
The Return of the Alien and the Second Phase in his Acquisition of Human Languages

After the long and arduous six years of language acquisition, the alien was quite exhausted but was extremely happy to have acquired a working ability in those six languages of his choice and to have laid the foundation for understanding human language.

He then travelled back to his home planet to get some rest and take on his other assignments.
After about a year, however, he got quite restless back home as he felt that his mission was not fully accomplished.

He originally had three phases in his plan, each carefully planned with a view of possible termination of his endeavors at the end of each phase due to the limitations of time and other responsibilities.
Now with the hardest phase behind him, he wanted to tackle on the second phase which would not be as difficult as the first, but would still pose a formidable challenge and require much effort.
If the first phase was a heavy weight match, the second phase would be a middle weight match.
The third phase would not even be a match. It would be just a very light recreational activity, but through which he would easily gather up several dozens of cognate and associate languages and finally seriously begin to work on understanding the natures and properties of Earthman's language system in lieu of Earthman's civilization and its destiny.

Something in him was relentlessly driving him to go back to the Earth.
Was it his destiny working in his life?
He made a good presentation to his headquarters for the value of his second phase, and to his great joy, he was granted three years of precious time to carry out his plan further.

Back on Earth, he carried out his second phase, targeting on learning eight languages which show after the arrow marks(----->), building on his first six languages:

-Spanish and English(Latin base) ----->French, German, Russian
-Mandarin ----->Japanese, Cantonese
-Hindi ----->Tamil
-Arabic(Egyptian)
----->Persian
-Turkish
----->Malay

In his first phase, he had noticed that he could listen and understand some other cognate languages which he did not even study.   He was tempted to fiddle with some of them, but due to time constraint and serious nature and scope of his endeavor, he had decided to not get sidetracked, but keep on treading the original path he had chosen.

He felt that he could manage eight languages, two more than the first phase, within three years, which is half the time he took for the first phase, even as he had a good foundation in six basic languages, had already developed a huge reservoir of transferrable vocabularies and familiarity with different grammatical structures, and more importantly had developed a far greater capacity to grapple with any languages.

The alien began to work deligently on adding eight more threads to his net.
The Leviathan in the sea instinctively sensed something was going on and began to wriggle its fins involuntarily as if it was getting ready for the encounter of his lifetime.

Edited by futurianus on 28 October 2011 at 10:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4790 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 12 of 67
28 October 2011 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 

Recess Chat:

Spanky wrote:
   Civilization's next evolutionary step represented by the development of planetary
linguists or "glabalglots" whose advanced and superior community is presently
represented by Cesare M. and an eight year old Ms. Vo (no offence intended to either),
and the suggestion that one might look down on the learning achievements and abilities
of mere hyperglots in favour of the new and improved super hyperglots? Fun!

Spanky wrote:
Also, since we are discussing planetary linguistics and the impressions of an extra-planetary visitor, it bears noting that in many respects, insects are the dominant life form on earth.   For sure from a numerical perspective, by a long shot. I am deeply troubled by the speciesism inherent in a list of only human languages, though perhaps Cainntear's reference to clicks could cover off not just the relevant African languages, but a small corner of our insect overlords.

Spanky:

I am glad that you liked this topic and found it 'fun'.

You caught the essence and pathos of my ideas pretty good and very subtly mixed in your jokes in a way that got me to have a really good belly laugh several times, which, like a good medicine, must have done good for my body.

Little devilish, but angelic, just like Ernie....

I thought about putting a post on this topic here for a long time, not long after having meandered here by chance following a thread on Hindi, but could not do so due to time factors. I have ended up writing more than I had planned and your comments are like a cup of cold water, almost as if someone is saying, "drink this water and get refreshed, and please keep on writing more!"

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4790 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 13 of 67
28 October 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Recess chat 2:

lichtrausch wrote:
I am very attracted to the idea of learning all the major languages of the world (a dozen or so) in order to get a truly global perspective. It must be wonderful and enlightening to be able to understand and take part in the internal conversations of all the major nations and cultures of the world.

Ari wrote:
I think it's a very laudable aspiration and one that I sometimes entertain for myself.

I hear your hearts, even as my heart is reverberating with the same voices.

It was good to hear from co-travellers of vaster linguistic sphere and sharers of same desire for a more globalized language learning.

I do not drop by here often, though I will be checking up on this posting frequently for a while, but let me take this opportunity to wish both of you 一路平安(ilupingan: von voyage in peace) in your 'global' language journeys.

Edited by futurianus on 29 October 2011 at 12:41am

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 14 of 67
29 October 2011 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
futurianus wrote:

... around Latin based languages (Romantic, Germanic and Slavic)...

Interesting news, b.t.w. ...

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4790 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 15 of 67
29 October 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
futurianus wrote:

... around Latin based languages (Romantic, Germanic and Slavic)...

Interesting news, b.t.w. ...

Simplification(Greco-Latin vocabulary base), as Mandarin--->Japanese, despite grammatical differences.

Edited by futurianus on 30 October 2011 at 9:48pm

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4959 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 16 of 67
29 October 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I find it interesting to learn different languages, not only the ones that are similar to my own.
I am actually more attracted to more distant languages.
I am mostly centered on Asia, but i did try to learn some other languages too.

but learning things like:

English
Arabic
Chinese
Tamil

would be very hard to reach advanced level, if you want to study them all.
much easier is to learn languages from the same group, or with many shared features.

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version