Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6760 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 17 of 18
07 November 2011 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
I also am familiar with somewhere over 2,000 kanji from Japanese, and I'm currently
learning the hanja readings for the most common ones as a springboard into Korean. My
reasoning is that if I come across a word like 여행 "yeohaeng" and am told it means
"travel", that's a word I have to memorize as-is, but if I know from my study of hanja
readings that it's written 旅行, then I can automatically make the connection to
Japanese and the word will be many times easier to memorize. I have no knowledge yet
whatsoever of Korean (except that I can read hangul), and am just doing this to give
myself a head-start on vocabulary building.

I decided against using an English-language hanja book for my purposes because they
tend to assume no prior experience with Chinese characters, and so might not be the
simplest and most efficient way for learners like us. Instead, I downloaded a public
deck on Anki called "hanjas 500". The cards have a very simple format, like this:

[front]

[back]
(*)행

행동 行動
여행 旅行

As you can see, you'll need to learn hangul first (though I'm guessing this is probably
true of any hanja book).

It gets really fun when you start to notice correspondences between the Japanese and
Korean readings (for example, I've noticed that "-ai" words in Japanese will often be
"-ae" (pronounced "eh") words in Korean, and unvoiced initial consonants in Japanese
generally become voiced in Korean, so last week I was able to guess the Korean reading
of 期待 (gi dae) without having studied it). Based on what I've written just in this
post, you can probably already figure out what "bi haeng gi" would correspond to in
Japanese ;)

* There's actually a whole line of hangul here, and I honestly don't know what they
mean, but the one at the very end will be the Sino-Korean compound reading (or the last
two separated with a "/" in the case of multiple readings).

Edited by Lucky Charms on 07 November 2011 at 11:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

howtwosavealif3
United States
Joined 4297 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 18 of 18
06 November 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
there's a japanese site that tells you how to convert japanese yomi readings of kanji to korean kanji readings. The "rules" or patterns they give aren't 100% but 90-something% is still pretty damn helpful. I suppose korean japanese learners can use it too.

http://korean.nomaki.jp/site_j/kanji.html

I actually learned Japanese so I can learn Korean because I always wanted to learn Japanese and Korean. And I totally thought that learning in the order of Japanese and then korean is more efficient than learning korean than japanese just because they don't use chinese characters in korean (Learning hanja is the most un-rewarding to do when they don't even use it. Versus in Japanese they use it a lot so you get reinforcement and motivation).

Edited by howtwosavealif3 on 06 November 2012 at 5:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version