Finland
Joined 4697 days ago

47 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, Estonian*, English

Message 9 of 18
22 October 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
이희선 wrote:

日氣 a diary; a journal 일기

I don't want to be a nitpicker, but 日氣 means weather while a diary is 日記. Looks like
you just made a mere typo though.

solongsekhu wrote:
Wow, thanks so much, those sound look good resources.

Sorry, I'm slightly confused by your example of 日. You mentioned the 'Korean reading'
and a 'formal reading'. Is the Korean reading the actual pronunciation, and the 'formal
reading' simply part of the name of that hanja? Or are both of them possible readings
in
Korean vocabulary?

Thanks again!

Not really, when you look up a Hanja in Korean, it will be accompanied with the meaning
in Korean as well. So for 日 you could see definitions like 날, 해, 태양, 낮 (day, the
Sun,
daytime etc.), but the pronunciation will always be 일.

Edited by DNB on 22 October 2011 at 10:06am

2 persons have voted this message useful

DNB
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4697 days ago

47 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, Estonian*, English

Message 10 of 18
22 October 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Edit: Doublepost

Edited by DNB on 22 October 2011 at 10:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

이희선
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4780 days ago

56 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 18
22 October 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Hi,

First to DNB, thanks for pointing out the error - it is not nitpicking, it was actually wrong. I was typing in all that Hanja with a pinyin keyboard (which i don't really know) because hanja input doesn't seem to work with firefox very well (?). I must've just selected wrong.

To solongsekhu, DNB is right in the explanation. Probably just forget the terms "reading"; it sort of is a weird way to say what I was trying to say. I confuse myself with my own explanations sometimes. If you want to get into it, you can look up 음훈.

Anyway, for the Darakwon books, I see how i was unclear. The sentences are only in Korean. Good sentences, but sucks to illustrate how to use the word if you don't understand any of the other words in the sentence. But it can still be useful and for your interests, I would recommend having both (or similar substitutes) as opposed to one or the other. The Handbook of Korean Vocabulary is really not as much like a dictionary as you would think. If you just want a quick reference for certain words or to get vocab lists or inspiration then a dictionary or the 2000 Words book would be better suited for that.

Also, in the Handbook of Korean Vocabulary, the vocabulary goes from the basic to the rare. While words like "Inflammation" and "Desolate" are eventually useful, they are usually not high on a beginning learner's priority list. You may want a quick resource such as the 2000 words text which will give you clear entries on words you should know at the lower levels. For me, it was very satisfying to go through various sections and realize I had learned every word in that section.

If 2000 is too small of a sample, then somebody also publishes a 6000 most common words dictionary that is quite compact, though I've not looked inside it to see what it was like.

2 persons have voted this message useful

solongsekhu
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 18
22 October 2011 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Thanks both of you! That clarifies a lot.

So, the 2000 Essential book doesn't list hanja for each word, does it?

Do you happen to have the name of the 6000 most common word book? Do you know if it's a similar format?

Any idea how many words are in the Handbook of Korean Vocabulary?

Thanks so much!

Odysseus
Diglot
United States
Joined 4802 days ago

19 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 18
24 October 2011 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Have you taken a look at hanja.naver.com? It's a fairly extensive online Hanja dictionary which is very easy to use. You can look up Hanja either by entering them with your keyboard, by typing it the appropriate Hangeul, or simply by drawing them into the search box. Individual entries contain readings, meanings, stroke order, related simplified forms in Japanese (일본식) or Simplified Chinese (중국식) -- the former of which you might find of value as a scholar of Japanese -- and lastly a plethora of Korean words which include the Hanja in question (all of which are also accompanied by Hangeul, so you won't use the wrong pronunciation in situations where a given Hanja has multiple potential readings). Finally, if you click on "한자검정 급수별" at the bottom of the page, you're taken to a Hanja listing arranged in the order of the official Hanja examinations.

Obviously if you intend to use this resource in your efforts to learn Korean you'll need a Korean-English dictionary as well, but if you click "영어/영어사전" right at the top of the page, you switch over from the site's Hanja dictionary to its Korean-English dictionary, so even that is covered.

Check it out; even if you feel like it's overwhelming now, it will be useful later.
4 persons have voted this message useful

solongsekhu
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 14 of 18
24 October 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
No, I haven't checked that site out, but it sounds amazing! A lot of what I'm looking for, for sure. Thank you so much for explaining all that! I'm definitely going to use it.

That's great it even shows the related Japanese characters. I don't think I can call myself a Japanese scholar (though I like the sound of that!), but that will be helpful without a doubt, since I have a base of kanji knowledge.

Thanks again, and good luck with your Korean studying!

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 15 of 18
26 October 2011 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Yes, naver provides hanja, but yahoo dictionary does not (in English-Korean version, Korean Korean dictionary has hanja).
DLI uses hanja, but it's very old, from the time of Korean war, and some words are outdated, mainly English loanwords.
The word for Post Office is different (but they retain the old form in North Korea).
If you know Japanese you will be able to trace the characters sometimes.
Many words are the same, only reading is different.

as an advice, I ca nsay that Japanese mei, is 명 in Korean, kei is 경 etc.

of course not all words are the same, for example to Korean word from toorrow means come to Japan in Japanese.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 16 of 18
05 November 2011 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know of any Hanja dictionaries that are useful for showing Korean words that
contain the radical as well as the English translations of said words?

For example, if I search for 음 (소리 meaning), I will get 음악 and 발음 etc pop up? I've
searched through a few Hanja dictionaries but the ones I've found don't have a large
amount of words to search or don't contain any English. Does anyone know of any good,
preferably online, Hanja dictionaries?

(the Miho Choo book is great btw [a friend's borrowing it at the mo sadly so I can't use
it for now], the Hanja guide by Bruce Grant is also very useful and the 2000 essential
words book is also great for shadowing)

Edited by crafedog on 06 November 2011 at 7:33am

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version