Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4647 days ago

70 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 15
02 December 2011 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
If it is the language of the future, i have become fluent at first sight.
4 persons have voted this message useful

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4692 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 10 of 15
02 December 2011 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
i think instituting this at least in Western Europe where the influences of the language are most clear, for at minimum one year or even far less (one can learn the grammar in a manner of weeks), would do wonders.

English and French wouldn't be undermined this way, but systematically teaching this language will give many an immediate bridge that many won't get to in English or French in a long time.

You've then created an entire generation who has an even tighter grasp on something they could most likely understand greatly.

Edited by fomalhaut on 02 December 2011 at 7:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 15
02 December 2011 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
For me this language is a mixture of Spanish, Italian, French, Latin and Esperanto. All of these 5 languages I have studied, therefore I understand Interlingua so well.

I'm pretty sure that Esperanto has zero influence on the vocabulary of Interlingua, and I wonder about Latin... Interlingua has English, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese as the major sources.
4 persons have voted this message useful

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4692 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: German

Message 12 of 15
02 December 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
I believe without taking the 5 seconds to confirm that %60 of the Vocabulary are directly taken from Latin as a middle ground between multiple similar Cognates.

sed, alque, anque, apud, hic, aliquid, are just some of the adverbs and conjugations alone.

In my 1 week of studying it, I definitely feel what is essentially a Neo-Latin vibe from it. A year of studying Latin has essentially made me pretty much just simplifying the Grammar I already know, so if I could simply just widen my vocabulary (the easy part!) I could be writing decently in no time.

It's grossly simplified in many respects to a fault; I think there should be verb conjugations, and that Esser should be irregular and roughly reflect the inflection of every other Romance language; Soc, Soy, Sui, etc.    But in other ways It's actually improved my understanding of the western european Languages to a degree, certainly. My Spanish friend thought i was just a bad speller when I secretly talk to her in Interlingua. And it's helped me with Catalan as well, in a way that Latin didn't.

i don't like how the lack of conjugations makes pronouns always necessary, which i think is an aspect of English or German having it's affect; they can't function without Pronouns, thus this Aspect was included in Interlingua.

Also i wish it was codified to make all Nouns capitalized

Edited by fomalhaut on 02 December 2011 at 7:18pm

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5518 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 13 of 15
03 December 2011 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
I dabbled with Interlingua last week and like it. I used the free lessons from the UMI, which I got through Wikiversity. There was also a link to free e-libros on the UMI website on the Wikiversity page.

I like conlangs, and I like Interlingua more than Esperanto, at least from what little experience I have with both languages. Interlingua seems like easy Spanish to me, while Esperanto is much more foreign. The only problem is that it would be more useful, at least at the present time, to learn Esperanto than Interlingua.

As far as learning conlangs goes, I'm limiting myself to the Big Three: Esperanto, Ido, and Interlingua, with the Ido and Interlingua communities being approximately the same size. The one good thing about learning conlangs is that more experienced speakers want you to succeed and are eager to help you.

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6749 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 14 of 15
30 May 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Ego pense que interlingua es multo facil de aprender sed es pauc conoscite. Si Venustus
vole nos pote comenciar hic et nunc un filo (Thread) de parlatores de interlingua. Rgo
pense que le forma scripte de interlingua pote esser comprendite de quase totes le
parlatore de linguaqs neolatinas (Italiano spaniol portugues francese roumaniano catalano
etc) Es melior que nos no facere discussiones super gramatica et regulas . Interlingua ha
aunque altere formas et derivationes como Romanica,Neolatino, Via Latina; Latine sine
flexione et altere sed totes esser inter-compresibiles. On pote usar le que on prefere.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chevalier
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4496 days ago

53 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 15 of 15
11 June 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
As a Portuguese speaker with a little knowledge in French and Spanish, I understood
every single word in there.

It could be taught to romance language speakers, the only problem would be their lack
of
interest in the language. It reminds me of the situation of Spanish in Brazil. "If I
can
understand it, I won't study it". Most Brazilians speak Portuñol or no Spanish at all,
but that's another thing. If Interlingua had the same influence English has in our
world,
maybe the attitude would be different.

It's fun to be a romance language speaker and get to understand languages like
Aragonés,
Galego, Spanish, Italian, Catalan, with just enough exposure. Not to mention,
Interlingua.

Edited by Chevalier on 11 June 2012 at 11:03pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version