Pentaglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4591 days ago

14 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 15
08 October 2011 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
Interlingua es pauc cognoscite per le mundo, ma es un lingua magnific, multo facil de
studiar e apprender, pote esser normalmente comprendite per parlatores de inglese que
habe alicun cognoscimento de espaniol, portogese o qualcunque altere lingua que ha venite
del Latin, anque le parlatores de espaniol, francese, portogese o Italiano.
Le vision que le personas habe del lingua auxiliares (como le Esperanto, Interlingua e
altere) es que illos non es utilizate pro nihil. Sed illos es multo utilizate per
personas que tene nulle lingua in commun, excepte per Interlingua.

Pro monstrar que Interlingua debe esser valorizate, Io tene una suggestion: adder
interlingua in le lista de Linguas de iste Forum, proque illo pote ajudar qui vole
studiar un lingua auxiliar.

Tu pote responder in Inglese o in Interlingua, si vole.
4 persons have voted this message useful

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4692 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 2 of 15
27 November 2011 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
I'd also like to hear more about interlingua from advanced learners perspectives, and how it may or may not actually be effective in teaching the overarching basics of Latinate communications.

I also agree adding Interlingua to the list of studied languages.

One thing i'm doing in my brief studies of interlingua are adding more life to the easy language, like first person -o endings ala Latin or Spanish, and using Les as a plural article to make it more like other romance languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5109 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 15
27 November 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Venustus wrote:
Interlingua es pauc cognoscite per le mundo, ma es un lingua magnific, multo facil de studiar e apprender, pote esser normalmente comprendite per parlatores de inglese que habe alicun cognoscimento de espaniol, portogese o qualcunque altere lingua que ha venite del Latin, anque le parlatores de espaniol, francese, portogese o Italiano.

Interlingua is indeed relatively easy too undertand. Sometimes I wished Interlingua had won the "Conlang Wars." But it seems that the Interlingua proponents are fighting a losing battle against ESL speakers and the proponents of Esperanto who are simply better at pitching their conlang.

Venustus wrote:
Pro monstrar que Interlingua debe esser valorizate, Io tene una suggestion: adder interlingua in le lista de Linguas de iste Forum, proque illo pote ajudar qui vole studiar un lingua auxiliar.

Theoretically, you could ask the admin to add Interlingua to the list of studied languages, but new languages are usually only added if the number of students has reached critical mass. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting if I were you.

Edited by Doitsujin on 27 November 2011 at 10:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5636 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 15
28 November 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
It's interesting that you posted in Iterlingua, which I can understand perfectly.

For me this language is a mixture of Spanish, Italian, French, Latin and Esperanto.

All of these 5 languages I have studied, therefore I understand Interlingua so well.

Fasulye

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4692 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 5 of 15
28 November 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
it's like a giant introduction to the Romance branch of languages that you can communicate in. It would take literally 2 weeks of light study for any Western educated person to become able to communicate, and one can have more or less 2 way conversations with a Romance language speaker and Interlingua. from my experience

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5242 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 6 of 15
29 November 2011 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
fomalhaut wrote:
it's like a giant introduction to the Romance branch of languages that you can
communicate in. It would take literally 2 weeks of light study for any Western educated person to become able to
communicate, and one can have more or less 2 way conversations with a Romance language speaker and
Interlingua. from my experience

Well, I doubt that an average, semi-educated Norwegian who has only learnt English and German at school would
find Interlingua particularly easy. Maybe it's relatively easy for a native English speaker (due to the vast amount of
French and Latin vocabulary in English), but for someone whose native language is neither English nor a Romance
language, whose English isn't that great and who has never studied a Romance language..?
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 7 of 15
29 November 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Well, I doubt that an average, semi-educated Norwegian who has only learnt English and German at school would find Interlingua particularly easy. Maybe it's relatively easy for a native English speaker (due to the vast amount of French and Latin vocabulary in English), but for someone whose native language is neither English nor a Romance language, whose English isn't that great and who has never studied a Romance language..?

Oddly enough, Scandinavia- and especially Sweden, is one of the hotbeds of Interlingua promotion in the world Svenska Sällskapet för Interlingua/Societate Svedese pro Interlingua and there's also Denmark Dansk Interlingua Union but I don't see anything for Norway.

Yeah, I can understand almost 95% of what I read (and all of the OP) in the language without ever having studied it, but I do speak English and Spanish and am studying Portuguese, so I do serve as proof for half of your point. And, yes it does have an English/Romance bias so I don't think it would be very intuitive for Thai-speakers, for example. I would like to learn Interlingua if it were useful, but I just don't think it would be, outside the specialized community of speakers it has.

I think that there are reasons why it is "little known in the world". There are no pop culture references to the language. Ask the man on the street about Esperanto and Interlingua and you'd find much more people who would know that Esperanto is an international language. It's a bit of a shame because Interlingua could definitely facilitate communication between a lot of western and southern European countries and the Americas. Then again, if everyone would learn Esperanto as a second language or, English... There are far more second language speakers of English than any artificially constructed languages. I'd get no takers if I were to bet that English is more attractive to Scandinavian/Chinese/Arab/Russian-speakers as a second language than either Interlingua or Esperanto, and most likely will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Edited by iguanamon on 29 November 2011 at 1:46am

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5242 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 8 of 15
29 November 2011 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Oddly enough, Scandinavia- and especially Sweden, is one of the hotbeds of Interlingua
promotion in the world Svenska Sällskapet för Interlingua/Societate Svedese pro
Interlingua
and there's also Denmark Dansk Interlingua Union but I
don't see anything for Norway.

I found this link on the Danish site: http://www.interlingua.no/

A couple of web pages doesn't convince me. I suspect that those Scandinavians bothering with this have already
studied at least a little bit of French, Italian or Spanish.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version