Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6886 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 17 of 30
19 August 2011 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Fifa 12 will be in Arabic along with Arabic commentary of the games.
1 person has voted this message useful

Dr. POW
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4754 days ago

48 posts - 58 votes 
Studies: German, English*
Studies: French

Message 18 of 30
20 August 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
@Jeffers
I'm sorry, but the post with the links was deleted, so I guess that means links to roms
and such aren't allowed on the forums.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5823 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 19 of 30
20 August 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
I have played Dragon Age and Icewind Dale in French. Both are great games with plenty of dialogue. Dragon Age has excellent voice acting, whereas Icewind Dale is more textual. Mass Effect is also a very good choice.

I find Japanese RPG games less useful becasue the text tends to be simplistic and usually there is no voice acting.

Carlucio
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4647 days ago

70 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 20 of 30
20 August 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
I have played games in English my entire life,just a few games are translated to portuguese, if you want to understand the story you have to learn English or Spanish.

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4635 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 21 of 30
21 August 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I always play video games in English, not in French. I love Ragnarok Online. Eragon is also decent.

Randwulf
United States
Joined 4681 days ago

32 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 22 of 30
15 December 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I haven't played more than a few video games in foreign languages but I found The
Witcher: Enhanced Edition pretty good as far as practicing language. There are lots of
cutscenes and dialog and a lot of reading. And you can change spoken language and
subtitle language independently, so you could for example listen to a conversation in
German while reading subtitles in English. Languages supported are English, German,
French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Russian, Czech, and Hungarian.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4561 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 23 of 30
16 December 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
I've found RPGs to be a great language learning resource, due to them also being dialogue-heavy. I believe that I learned a significant portion of my more advanced vocabulary from the KotOR series and the English versions of the Pokémon games. Recently I got into Visual Novels as well, and those are pretty much all-dialogue, sometimes with conversational options that can change the outcome of the game. The one I'm playing right now, Katawa Shoujo, is one of the very few VNs that weren't made in Japan. Its premise and the fact that it originated on 4chan may be off-putting, but it's actually surprisingly well-written. The game is available to download for free and the first act is available in English, German, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Russian and both Simplified and Traditional Chinese. Unfortunately, the complete game isn't yet available in languages other than English, but I believe that the translations are in progress for at least some of the listed languages. Still, Act I alone is hours of gameplay (about two if you're playing in a language you're natively proficient in) with six possible endings.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 16 December 2012 at 9:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

nakrian keegiat
Diglot
Groupie
Thailand
Joined 4696 days ago

70 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 30
16 December 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
That sounds really interesting Peter, thanks. Too bad they don't have it in Thai. 4chan, huh? I'm scared of that place but I assume you've checked it out and it's safe to install?

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version