iZach
United States
Joined 4895 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 1 of 13
28 April 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so basically, it is a goal of mine to learn French and Japanese, preferably within
the next 5 years lol. Anyways, here is the situation I am faced with.

I don't know a ton of French, but I know more French than Japanese. My Japanese is
basically non existent (I know like 10 words I think). However, it is my dream to go to
college in Japan. I am supposed to finish high school this year, but I won't until next
because of stupid things (Not trying) that I have done in the past. Anyways, I don't
know if I should go to a language school in Japan or try to learn on my own. The
language school, of course, cost a great chunk of ¥. If I was to go to a language
school in Japan, I don't see much point in me studying Japanese on my own. So, in that
case, I might as well study French as I don't plan on going to a French language
school.

So, a few questions.

Do you guys think a Japanese language school would be worth it? If so should I just not
even study Japanese, and instead study French, for now?

If you guys don't think it would be worth it, do you guys think I should try to study
Japanese and French at the same time, or just Japanese?

The big problem is speed of learning. I have, of course, come to find out that there is
no "learn a language in no time" method, but there are ways that are quicker than
others. I really would like to learn Japanese asap in order to accomplish my dream, so
I feel like studying Japanese on my own would take forever. I do have some material
though. I have Berlitz Essential Japanese, Assmil Volume 1 & 2 (With CDs) Japanese With
Ease courses, Japanese in Mangaland & a workbook for it, and Human Japanese.

Edited by iZach on 28 April 2011 at 9:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 13
28 April 2011 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
First of all, studying in a school does not imply that you shouldn't also study on your own. On the contrary, relying on school alone will slow you down immensely.

Second, if you have the money, sure, go to a school in Japan! Few people have that opportunity so you are very lucky.

Finally, if you want to learn a language "asap", forget Japanese for now and start with French. Japanese will take you 4 times longer. If your goal is to learn Japanese and French within 5 years, I'd do a year of French and 4 of Japanese.

iZach
United States
Joined 4895 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes

Message 3 of 13
28 April 2011 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
First of all, studying in a school does not imply that you shouldn't
also study on your own. On the contrary, relying on school alone will slow you down
immensely.

Second, if you have the money, sure, go to a school in Japan! Few people have that
opportunity so you are very lucky.

Finally, if you want to learn a language "asap", forget Japanese for now and start with
French. Japanese will take you 4 times longer. If your goal is to learn Japanese and
French within 5 years, I'd do a year of French and 4 of Japanese.
Well, the
thing is, I don't know if I would be able to afford a language school. It would take a
while to save up I'd say lol. Ya, I have realized French is a lot easier though.

Edited by iZach on 28 April 2011 at 9:40pm

iZach
United States
Joined 4895 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes

Message 4 of 13
28 April 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Please delete. Somehow, I made a double post.

Edited by iZach on 28 April 2011 at 9:40pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 5 of 13
28 April 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Then forget the school! There is no need for a school if you want to learn. That's pretty much what this whole site is about! Get started on that Assimil and see how it goes! Getting going is usually harder than continuing.

iZach
United States
Joined 4895 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes

Message 6 of 13
28 April 2011 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Then forget the school! There is no need for a school if you want to
learn. That's pretty much what this whole site is about! Get started on that Assimil
and
see how it goes! Getting going is usually harder than continuing.
Do you think
it
would be ok to learn both at the same time? Here in a month, I will have lots of free
time. I could do intensive study of both during that time. Or at least intensive study
of
one and regular study in another. Actually, I have been getting
myself prepped for intensive study of Japanese by getting more language learning
material
and also listening to Japanase music & some talking for the last week to get a feel for
the sound of the language. The reason was that I was going
to start this coming month doing intensive Japanese study, but I have to put it off
until
June.

Edited by iZach on 28 April 2011 at 9:46pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5575 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 13
28 April 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
One of my friends who went to a language school in Japan told me that the students at her school lived pretty much in their respective bubbles. They did learn some Japanese, but because they didn't socialize with native speakers their progress was far from what you would hope.

I don't know how you've been studying so far, but you can't expect anyone to spoon-feed you languages. You will have to study hard on your own even if you take classes, and the earlier you start, the more time you have for it.

It isn't advisable to start two languages at once when you have no prior experience in studying languages. Also, Japanese isn't an easy language to learn, French is much easier in comparision. (I'm not saying it's a walk in the cake ... erm, park, either.)
But the most important factor is your motivation and the willingness to keep on trying.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 8 of 13
28 April 2011 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
You must be in control of your study.

To me, it's not a big deal if you study both at the same time (even if you've never done it before), insofar as you remain in full control of what you are doing and are ready to change the way you do things if it doesn't feel right.

Oh and don't wait till next month. Start now. If you can't start now, you won't be doing this for 5 years.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version