Diglot
United States
Joined 5807 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 9 of 13
23 April 2011 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Go to Ji'nan. Sure they speak Jinan-hua but anywhere you go is going to have a local
language, and Shandong hua is decently close to Mandarin. (Which also means they'll speak
better Mandarin on average than people to whom it is more foreign.) It's big enough that
you'll never be bored, small enough you'll feel you're king of the town.

At least -- better choice than Dongbei if you aren't ready for the extremity of the cold
up there.
1 person has voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6659 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 10 of 13
23 April 2011 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
Another thing to consider is why you're going there. If, for instance, you're like me and pursuing an academic career in Chinese studies, you might want to go where your interests lie. I'm interested in Qing history, so the northeast of course appeals to me. Beijing was the capital of the Qing dynasty, Shenyang was an important city to the Manchus before the fall of the Ming, Heilongjiang University in Harbin houses important documents in Manchu, etc. If I were more interested in early Chinese history I might want to study in Xi'an. If I were interested in Confucius I might study in Shandong province so I could easily visit Qufu. Etc.

If you don't have such specific interests, maybe you can ignore this post. :)

leosmith
United States
Joined 6359 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 13
23 April 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
eoinda wrote:
recuirements are that mandarin be the predominant language and it can't be to polluted 'cause I'm
quite sencitive to polluted air

Pollution pretty much rules out China - they place a very low value on clean air, and even the countryside has a
pollution problem due to the big cities. Maybe somewhere on the east coast of Taiwan. Isolated and beautiful. Their
Mandarin is annoyingly different, but you could get used to it.

fstop
Canada
Joined 4849 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 12 of 13
24 April 2011 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Taiwan is a good option as suggested by some people but there are some differences with China that you need to consider. You probably know most of them already but here are some:

Taiwan uses traditional characters while China uses simplified.

Taiwan uses the Zhuyin Fuhao phonetic system while China uses Pinyin. I know both but I prefer the Zhuyin method. Both are equally accurate if you learn it correctly but there are more resources in Pinyin.

Colloquial Mandarin in Taiwan doesn't pronounce the retroflex sounds while in China, it depends on the location. Schools in Taiwan and China teaches the standard pronounciation with the retroflex sounds so it is not really a problem.

eoinda
Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5757 days ago

101 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 13 of 13
27 April 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
The cold doesn't bother me (I am swedish after all), that is unless it is habitually under -30C that might be a problem.

About pollution I just want it to be as clean as possible I realize it isn't going to be clean mountain air anywere I'm going (I want it to be better than Beijing at least((yes I know it isn't Chinas most polluted city))).I can handle what we in europe might call normally polluted cities. It has to be in Mainland China due to different reasons, although I'm sure Taiwan is lovely.

I'm going there to learn mandarin and since that really is the main thing I'd really prefere if mandarin was spoken there. There is were my real problem lies 'cause the chinese have a tendency to call everything dialects no matter if it is like cantonese: a different language, if it is different: what westerners call a dialect. This makes things very complicated for me when I try to differentiate.

I have thought a bit about Dalian but I would love more suggestions.   

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version