Sweden
Joined 5757 days ago

101 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 1 of 13
14 April 2011 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Hi,
I'm going to China in approximatly a year and a half and I'm looking on cities to study mandarin in. I don't want to go to Beijing it is probably wonderful in many ways but I want to be in smaller city with less foreigners. My other recuirements are that mandarin be the predominant language and it can't be to polluted 'cause I'm quite sencitive to polluted air.
I've gotten a few suggestions earlier but if you could give me some more I would be grateful.
1 person has voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6659 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 2 of 13
14 April 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Harbin has quite standard Mandarin pronunciation. Most of the foreigners there are Russians and Koreans, so you won't need to worry much about being distracted from speaking Chinese. I wouldn't say it's a "smaller city," having 10 million people, but it certainly isn't Beijing or Shanghai. I might actually end up there myself this fall.

On the other hand, it does get brutally cold there.

Leftcoaster
Diglot
China
Joined 4840 days ago

22 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Russian

Message 4 of 13
14 April 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
If you are sensitive to polluted air then DO NOT come to Beijing, at least during the winter.

For other people considering coming to Beijing to study Mandarin, keep in mind that native Beijingers speak with a fairly heavy accent. If you want a more standard accent, then it might be best to go somewhere else.

Nguyen
Vietnam
Joined 4902 days ago

109 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese

Message 5 of 13
22 April 2011 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Perhaps you could try Taiwan. They speek the best Mandarin and pollution is not like China.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cthulhu
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 7032 days ago

139 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin, Russian

Message 6 of 13
22 April 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
The problem with your criteria is that to a large extent they're mutually exclusive; in the north where the pollution is extra bad is where Mandarin is the predominant language, and in the south where the pollution is not so bad (Still nowhere near good) they speak other dialects. Taiwan's not bad, if you consider it part of China, but if you're used to studying standard Mandarin it'll probably take you a while to get used to the way they speak.
If your heart is set on the People's Republic, you might want to look at cities in Sichuan (Not Chengdu though) or Yunnan (My personal favorite). And, if clean air is really important to you, you might also consider biting the bullet and going to a region where Mandarin isn't the native dialect...You may not hear Mandarin on the streets quite as often, but anyone you want to talk to will speak it, generally just as well (Sometimes worse, sometimes better) as people in Mandarin-speaking China. Plus, getting used to accented Mandarin is crucial anyway, since so few speak it accent-free.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5768 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 13
22 April 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Nguyen wrote:
Perhaps you could try Taiwan. They speek the best Mandarin and pollution is not like China.

On that note, a native Mandarin speaker whom I work with says that Taiwan has the coolest Mandarin slang. I take that as a reflection of his age and the fact that he is from SE Asia. I'm unsure whether the younger mainlanders have the same sentiments.

Edited by Snowflake on 22 April 2011 at 5:11pm

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6103 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 8 of 13
22 April 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
I've heard Dalian is very nice. Xiamen (aka Amoy in the old books) is supposed to nice too. Sadly, I haven't been to
either city yet.

Qingdao DOES have the Tsingtao brewery though...

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version